Ryder on Haleakala

janzenj

Dec 23, 2007
I came across this video of Ryder Hesjedal's record setting climb of Haleakala while looking for some info on the East Maui ride (he does that one too).

http://www.vimeo.com/2805838

Of course, one of the more interesting bits is his average power for the climb - 350 watts for over 2.5 hours.

Enjoy

i've climbed up Haleakala two times......both were tough. the first time was a real suffer-fest. i wasn't as prepared as i should have been. the 2nd time was a great day -- i didn't push too hard, didn't get into difficulty, and was elated when i got to the top. it was still a long hard climb, but manageable.

350 watts for 2.5 hours is awesome !

thanks for posting the link.

Yea, I go every year in April and ride this beast with the guys from Go Cycling Maui. Everyone should do it, incredible ride. Congrats Ryder!

The worst ride of my life was climbing Haleakala last October. I should have quit, but continued despite pathetic performance (electrolyte imbalance?).

Beautiful place, but I have few fond memories... ;(

That's not really all that much power for a pro. He's a tall guy too. I did 320 for near 3hrs over rolling terrain (lower power for the same effort compared to a climb) and I was just a good cat 3 roadie then. I think a top pro roadie like Lance in his day would average near 400 for such an effort. He did ~450w for alp de huez which was an hour right? The power difference between a one hour effort and 2.5hr isn't that much, same energy system.

Although the elevation would hurt one's power over the last half I can assume.

I'm not saying it wasn't a great ride!

Apparantly he has the record, so it is a world class ride. Just seems like the power output is a little low. How much does he weigh? 155lbs?

velomanct said:
That's not really all that much power for a pro. He's a tall guy too. I did 320 for near 3hrs over rolling terrain (lower power for the same effort compared to a climb) and I was just a good cat 3 roadie then. I think a top pro roadie like Lance in his day would average near 400 for such an effort. He did ~450w for alp de huez which was an hour right? The power difference between a one hour effort and 2.5hr isn't that much, same energy system.

Although the elevation would hurt one's power over the last half I can assume.

I'm not saying it wasn't a great ride!

Apparantly he has the record, so it is a world class ride. Just seems like the power output is a little low. How much does he weigh? 155lbs?
They normally climb the Alpe in around 37 to 45 minutes depending on stage length and weather.

During the Dauphine in either 2004 or 2005 Lance was said to have been disapointed that he didn't average 500watts for a final 35 minute climb, instead holding a mere 495watts...

It'll be interesting on this years deathride to see what the deal with power/heart rate/speed is at altitudes over 7000ft. I can't imagine riding too hard over 10,000ft as 8,800ft is bad enough...