Ryders Eyewear Injuries

Ryders Injuries

Jul 13, 2006
Hi,

My name is Cindy Howell. Last month, I purchased a pair of Ryders XTR sunglasses. While wearing them cycling, I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground. I caught myself with my arms without receiving a single scratch with the exception my face. The sharp casting lines in the Ryders bridge piece severely cut my nose. The replaceable lens popped out, exposing the sharp lens guide that gouged the side of my nose and lip. I currently have no feeling in the bridge of my nose and I am now facing reconstructive surgery to remove a disfiguring scar.

Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my medical bills, my husband and I have made the tough decision to bring a legal action against Ryders. If you are aware that any of your customers or associates have sustained Ryders related injuries, would you be kind enough to have them contact me. We have a website detailing more information at www.tallgrassconsulting.com/Ryders .

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cindy Howell
Branson, MO

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Eye wear as I understand it is designed to protect your eyes from UV and foreign objects flying into them. If you crash wouldn't all bets be off? At what point do we assume responsibility for the activities in which we engage in? Good luck with your case and healing.

what happened to you can happen to just about any other eyewear. if it's not the nose, it could be your eyebrow area or cheek bones or etc.

agree with mark above. the eye protection did it's job, protect your eyes, not your face. if you want the entire head protected, wear a helmet. i know i feel somewhat naked w/o my motorycle helmet on a bicycle (yes, i ride a motorcycle)

Markz said:
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Eye wear as I understand it is designed to protect your eyes from UV and foreign objects flying into them. If you crash wouldn't all bets be off? At what point do we assume responsibility for the activities in which we engage in? Good luck with your case and healing.
The Ryders web site doesn't make any claims about protecting against foreign objects. Sunglasses are made to protect your eyes from light. While sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses will stand up to the impact of most types of debris that cyclists are hit with, it is not what they are designed to do. Unless a pair of glasses meets the ANSI Z87.1-1989 standard, there should be no reasonable expectation that they're going to protect you from impacts. Note that even this standard only covers projectile impacts. If you can't accept the possible consequences of your face hitting the road, either get a full helmet or stay on the couch.

artmichalek said:
The Ryders web site doesn't make any claims about protecting against foreign objects. Sunglasses are made to protect your eyes from light. While sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses will stand up to the impact of most types of debris that cyclists are hit with, it is not what they are designed to do. Unless a pair of glasses meets the ANSI Z87.1-1989 standard, there should be no reasonable expectation that they're going to protect you from impacts. Note that even this standard only covers projectile impacts. If you can't accept the possible consequences of your face hitting the road, either get a full helmet or stay on the couch.

+1.

artmichalek said:
+1,

there is a risk to cycling, that is common sense

I am soliciting any information concening a lawsuit I might decide to file against TallGrassConsulting. If you or anyone you know has been spammed by an employee of this company - if you have ever referred to them as a bunch of brain-dead sleazoid spammer scammer fat-assed loser trailer trash banjo-pickin' chicken diddlers, please send me a PM.

BTW, those glasses look pretty cool. They have a "Diablo" version! I wonder if it comes in trifocals?

Unfortunate as it was to fall on your face, even without glasses on you would have messed it up. You are trying to blame glasses for your injury, but you discount the fact that you fell on your face. You minimize your responsibility by saying you, "brushed," the ground. If it was such a minor hit, there would not have been enough force to damage your nose as badly as it was. Get real.

As other posters have already stated, cycling glasses protect your eyes from airborne objects and from UV sunlight, not protecting your face from injury in a fall. They are not marketed in any other way than for protecting your eyes.

You're actions are why this country has so many lawyers and part of what I see as a major problem. People who have done stupid things get away with sucking money out of an insurance company because they hired a sleazy lawyer. You fell on your face hard enough to injury it, wearing glasses or not. Get over it.

LOL, I crashed once and got road rash. There was no warning about this possibility (where was the special sticker on my De Rosa about this?!). Nor was there any warning on the road surface (WARNING: scraping your skin on asphalt is dangerous to your health).:rolleyes:

Makes me want to move to a more litigious society. ;)

Powerful Pete said:
LOL, I crashed once and got road rash.
I crashed and landed on my keys once. I should have sued Jeep for the damage done to my back and jersey.:p

artmichalek said:
I crashed and landed on my keys once. I should have sued Jeep for the damage done to my back and jersey.:p
I am always afraid that will happen to me! Keep my keys in my jersey pocket too. Anyways, I could sue them! ;)

-As for the glasses. Yes there could be a design fault of the company's that could result in more injuries, but I don't think companies have to meet any standards in that respect.

-There are sunglasses I have that can hurt me in a crash too. It is just something that can happen, and it is not the company's responsibility.

Ryders Injuries said:
Hi,

My name is Cindy Howell. Last month, I purchased a pair of Ryders XTR sunglasses. While wearing them cycling, I slipped as I came to a stop and brushed my face on the ground. I caught myself with my arms without receiving a single scratch with the exception my face. The sharp casting lines in the Ryders bridge piece severely cut my nose. The replaceable lens popped out, exposing the sharp lens guide that gouged the side of my nose and lip. I currently have no feeling in the bridge of my nose and I am now facing reconstructive surgery to remove a disfiguring scar.

Since Ryders has opted to not accept any responsibility nor help with my medical bills, my husband and I have made the tough decision to bring a legal action against Ryders. If you are aware that any of your customers or associates have sustained Ryders related injuries, would you be kind enough to have them contact me. We have a website detailing more information at www.tallgrassconsulting.com/Ryders .

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cindy Howell
Branson, MO
HI,

I think maybe a few people miss understand you. You stated the Lens guide caused the cut. This could be seen as a foreseeable incident In my opinion. I would expect a company making sport sun glasses to be able to do the same.

Mike

Mike1970 said:
HI,

I think maybe a few people miss understand you. You stated the Lens guide caused the cut. This could be seen as a foreseeable incident In my opinion. I would expect a company making sport sun glasses to be able to do the same.

Mike
well, if I crashed because I was looking at my polar, I could sue polar because they should have foreseen that I could be distracted when using their equipment. Get real.

The only problem with that, is there are so many sunglasses out there, that are thin and dangerous in their whole design. I have a pair that is super think and metal. If I crash in those and land in a bad way on my face, then I could cut myself up too.

Now if it looks like a noticeable defect, maybe it could be a case there. But still...

bbolstad said:
well, if I crashed because I was looking at my polar, I could sue polar because they should have foreseen that I could be distracted when using their equipment. Get real.
Hi,

I know this might seem incredibel. But they can actually engineer the frames so that that when they break the do not have sharp edge's. That was the point I was tring to make. Once again its just an opinion.

I agree with Free ride man.

Mike

Mike1970 said:
Hi,

I know this might seem incredibel. But they can actually engineer the frames so that that when they break the do not have sharp edge's. That was the point I was tring to make. Once again its just an opinion.

This completely neglects the mechanics of trauma. In an impact you don't need a sharp edge to cause a laceration. An impact against a rounded edge will do the same thing. Look at someone who's been hit in the head with a bat and you'll see that.

No, there is no reason why under the right circumstances any pair of glasses wouldn't cause the same sort of injuries. It's the nature of accidents. People that are trying to ascribe the OP's or anyone else's injuries to faulty design of the glasses has either never been in an accident, doesn't understand how large and unpredictable forces in an accident can be, or are just willing to do anything to put the blame on someone else.

Mike1970 said:
Hi,

I agree with Free ride man.

Mike
Hello guys and gals,

Thanks for the good discussion and all the interest! We just posted some very revealing photos of a direct Side-by-Side comparison of Ryders RTX vs. their competitor, Syntax.

Please take a couple of mins and visit www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders and click the Side by Side Comparison link. I would like to hear your comments about the new photos. I appreciate all your time and interest in this subject.

Thanks again,
Clyde Howell

the injuries pictured do not appear to match the severity as i had pictured from your description.

the comparison of a visual inspection of a photo far from tells the whole story, comparitive cuase and effect testing would have to be designed and analysis conducted to have any validity.

sorry if i seem less than sympathetic, but this is one instance were legalities are perhaps being placed above personal risk responsibilities.

Ryders Injuries said:
Hello guys and gals,

Thanks for the good discussion and all the interest! We just posted some very revealing photos of a direct Side-by-Side comparison of Ryders RTX vs. their competitor, Syntax.

Please take a couple of mins and visit www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders and click the Side by Side Comparison link. I would like to hear your comments about the new photos. I appreciate all your time and interest in this subject.

Thanks again,
Clyde Howell

Well, what the injury photos reveal is a husband and wife avoiding personal responsibility and and sniffing some cash to scam. She fell on her face and those were her injuries? She should count herself lucky.

You people are one reason why the legal system is such a mess.

Hopefully, the defendent won't settle and respectable people will testify against you.

You people are shameful.

alienator said:
Well, what the injury photos reveal is a husband and wife avoiding personal responsibility and and sniffing some cash to scam. She fell on her face and those were her injuries? She should count herself lucky.

You people are one reason why the legal system is such a mess.

Hopefully, the defendent won't settle and respectable people will testify against you.

You people are shameful.
Hello alienator,

Thanks for your reply. I noted you failed to comment on the Side by Side comparison of the Ryders eyewear vs. their competitor's product. Please visit our site www.tallgrassconsulting.com/ryders again, and let me know your opinions about the designs of the two products and ultimately, all other factors equal, which one would you want riding on your nose in the event of a slip.

Look forward to you comments,
Clyde