Ryders Eyewear Injuries

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Ryders Injuries, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ryders Injuries

Ryders Injuries New Member

Dude, you're calling me "baby doll". Can you not even remember who you are talking to? I'm Clyde, remember, like I'm a dude, too. :)

You think your talking to a girl about a street accident, when I'm actually a guy and it happened off-road...you got to excuse me man, but in light of all the puffery and degrees you fling around, I've got to say that's downright funny (maybe even ironical).

I've got to go for a while, but I will catch up with you later and give up a pop quiz before we hook horns again. You're a fun guy to post with...no hard feelings.

Best regards,
    Clyde

2. Markz

Markz New Member

Yep, that would be me. I made an edit to my post stating that I had read your official account and I left my original text as is. Based on the photo of the injury I still believe that the helmet helped those injuries along. The right corner of the helmet hits the ground, her forward motion continues and the helmet slides over her face at an angle because she is turning her face to the left away from the approaching ground. It really does not matter what surface it happened on, the injuries tell the story.

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Most lacerations are caused by blunt objects - sharp objects create less jagged injuries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunt_trauma
    Blunt force trauma can cause laceration, or tearing of tissue. The most common types of lacerations are caused by perpendicular or glancing blows with blunt objects.

Maybe you're misusing the term laceration or maybe the injuries are lacerations, I don't know. Your razor blade comment is a strawman argument.

I too wish Cindy well in her healing, but I think your lawsuit is poorly founded, and your spamming this forum is poorly received. You're a member of the cycling community but you weren't a member of this forum before you posted this thread - if you had been, you would certainly have understood that it was inappropriate.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Helmets are NOT supposed to move in a crash. From the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute:

"You want the helmet to be comfortably touching the head all the way around, level and stable enough to resist even violent shakes or hard blows and stay in place. It should be as low on the head as possible to maximize side coverage, and held level on the head with the strap comfortably snug."

5. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

I was sympathetic until I saw the picture. This is not something that Ryders SHOULD cover, in my opinion. Wear a helmet next time, and good luck staying upright.

6. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

I completely agree. Having seen some riders fall on their face, these injuries pale in comparison. Generally I have seen broken jaws and teeth. A few small cuts to the nose area are minor. The sunglasses did not make the rider fall.

7. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

I'm not sure. My nose is not a perfectly smooth or flat surface, it is angled. It is incorrect to think the competitor's nose bridge will distribute the force evenly. Perhaps the Ryder's bridge is angled perfectly for some people's noses?

It is the responsibility for each person to try the frames on before purchase. Oakley make great frames but they don't fit me right.

One last point - it is possible that the frames protected you from a fractured orbital, an injury I sustained in 1987 sans sunglasses.

8. RickF

RickF New Member

Ric Stern,

It is way past time to lock this thread and ban "Ryders Injuries" from the board. The thread started out as self-serving spam and has gone downhill ever since. People like "Ryders Injuries" are what drive up the cost of doing business, and therefore the price we all have to pay for goods and services. This is a case study in frivolous lawsuits, not to mention a waste of bandwidth.

9. rousseau

rousseau New Member

Freudian slip?

10. fiend

fiend New Member

The real culprit here seems to be an improperly fitted helmet. IMHO the only way that a significant amount of force could be transfered to a pair of glasses at an angle to cause those injuries is if the chin strap was not properly adjusted. This would lead to the helmet shooting up out of the way and not doing the job it should.

I'll throw another vote in the hat for those that believe you should take some accountability for not noticing this obviously glaring design flaw in the glasses at the time of purchase, and for not taking the time to read the documentation that came with your helmet.

It does not matter that you are only asking for recompense for your medical coverage. You are making a claim that Ryders is responsible for your wife's injuries and it does not make Ryders somehow more guilty or evil that they denied you a small claim over a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Welcome to the world of business. What do you do if you get in a car accident? Sure as hell not try to work it out on the scene and admit guilt. No, you exchange insurance information and work it out through third/fourth parties. This statement seems to have slanderous overtones to me.

You also harp on Ryders's claim that the glasses are sport specific:
    Performance bikers do not file lawsuits when they fall on their faces.
    Performance bikers do not expect to emerge from every ride injury free.
    Bike specific does not mean crashproof. Some major sunglass brands offer Crash Replacement deals because falling and breaking glasses is an expected event in 'performance' cycling.
    Bike specific DOES mean wide sweeping lenses to prevent air from flowing into the eyes while still maintaining peripheral visibility. If they did that then they 'performed as designed'.

A $49.00 pair of sunglasses is going to be relatively cheap quality, if you want to harp on rough finishes and sharp casting lines, then maybe you should take more care when doing your shopping in the first place.

I sincerely hope that you reconsider your frivolous lawsuit and discover some sense of accountability for your actions. I understand that it may be frustrating to experience this negative aspect of sport (namely: injury) but you cannot blame everything that happens to you on someone or something else.

If it helps, a friend of mine recently cracked his head on a branch while mountain biking and has discovered that buying vitamin E capsules, cracking them open, and applying the gel to the wound has helped with the clean healing. You may want to save yourself a few thousand reconstructive surgery dollars and try this.

11. Alpha

Alpha New Member

1/ The photos mean absolutely nothing

2/ Manufacturers should be held accountable for design flaws. However, I do not see this as being the real issue here.

I will agree the glasses did injure your wife. However, the design of the glasses are not the cause of the injuries, but the result of an accident.

Your wife fell. She is the cause of the accident and should take the responsibility for her actions.

As far as I see it, you want "money for nothing".

You also stated you have received far more positive feedback than negative.
    All the postives must be lawyers.

As the lyrics in the Eagles song goes, "I want to find your inner child and kick its little ass, get over it"

12. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

To the OP... It seems like you are looking for a ground swell of support by other cyclists... (Or trying to get a settlement by promising to close your web site in exchange for $$$)

If you haven't done so already, you really should post this in the Advocacy forum over on Bikeforums.net where everything that ever happens to a cyclist is someone else's fault.

I love many of the forums over there, but I usually avoid that forum because the tone is always that the person not on the bike (driver, pedestrian, bystander or manufacturer) is always at fault, with no responsibility for the bike rider.

13. djk202020

djk202020 New Member

I may be a little late on this post, but yesterday I was riding in a pace line with a rider I haven’t ridden with leading, we were doing about 20mph for some reason the lead rider fell. I was about 6 inches off his back tire. He claims he did not know why he fell and had no idea of what had happened. His bike slid down and I had no time to stop I was throw over him and over my bars. I broke my nose and cut my face in various places the glasses I had on cut the bridge of my nose to the bone it required 10 stitches to reattach the skin to my face. My broken bone was not reset due to the extensive damage to my tissue and the fact that my septum was not misplaced. Although the glasses caused extensive damage to my face I feel pretty lucky that I had them on. The glasses were completely scratched like they were run over with 60 grit sandpaper. That could have been my eyes!! I was able to bike back 16 miles while holding a towel on my face to stop the blood then went to the hospital.

14. djk202020

djk202020 New Member

I guess I agree with many of the folks in this post. cyclying is a contact sport I mean if you fall on your face from just standing you will damage it. My injuries are much more extensive than the ones in the photo, I will try to get a pic up online. I am not mad at my sunglass company, as was stated in this post the function of glasses is to protect your eyes , falling with any amount of force on your face will casue any object to cut it. Cycling is a dangerous sport combine speed and at times a fairly unstable vessel (bicycle) and you are asking for trouble. I would say suck it up, my nose will prob be crooked and I will have scars but at least these things can prove that I have lived.