S Cassette on C drivetrain

velozoom

Nov 10, 2006
I've heard vague rumours that it is possible to run a Shimano 10 Cassette on a Campy 10 drivetrain with little to no problem. I have all S components/wheels now and want to switch but I can't afford all new wheels or +$100/ea conversion cassettes.

I am aware of the JTek shiftmate but its ugliness is making me hope there is a simpler solution.

So my questions-

A) will a S cassette work with C shifters/rear der?

B) HOW well will it work? i.e.- will it skip annoyingly or not shift at certain times?

C) if it won't work out of the box, are there other tricks or tweaks other than the shiftmate?

Thanks

I have this problem too. 5 Shimano bikes and I just got a Campy CF Cervelo Soloist Team from ebay. I'll be using an American Classic conversion cassette for Shimano to Campy and it only costs $70 from Lickbike?

I'll also be experimenting riding my campy on the shimano and the shimano on my campy. But that'll happen after I get my Cervelo on Monday.

velozoom said:
I've heard vague rumours that it is possible to run a Shimano 10 Cassette on a Campy 10 drivetrain with little to no problem. I have all S components/wheels now and want to switch but I can't afford all new wheels or +$100/ea conversion cassettes.

I am aware of the JTek shiftmate but its ugliness is making me hope there is a simpler solution.

So my questions-

A) will a S cassette work with C shifters/rear der?

B) HOW well will it work? i.e.- will it skip annoyingly or not shift at certain times?

C) if it won't work out of the box, are there other tricks or tweaks other than the shiftmate?

Thanks
It won't work out of the box because the Shimano cogs are spaced closer together AND you MUST use the narrower Shimano 10-speed-compatible chain with the Shimano 10-speed cassette (do you have the chain, too?).

Based on MY (singular?) observation that it appears that you can substitute a Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur (a very brief workstand test, only) for a Campagnolo rear derailleur AND (follow me, now) because the indexing of the 9-speed Shimano can be simulated by using Shimano's alternate anchor position (at 9 o'clock), THEN if you were to anchor the rear derailleur cable at 3 o'clock (aka, the hubbub.com alternate anchor position), then it should (no promises) result in a 10-speed Campagnolo shifter approximating the indexing for a Shimano 10-speed cassette.

That is, you should be able to make the Campagnolo ERGO 10-speed shifter index to Shimano's 10-speed cassette by using the hubbub.com alternate anchor position.

Some day, I'll get around to picking up a 10-speed Shimano cassette to verify this OR you can give it a try ...

You can just put a Wheels Manufacturing Shimano-to-Campagonlo 10-speed cassette on your rear wheel UNLESS it has a 7800 hub AND use the standard rear derailleur anchoring. As noted, American Classic is the name of the other brand of Shimano-to-Campagnolo cassette.

My Wheels Manufacturing 10-speed cassette began life as an Ultegra cassette ... I think there is/was a Dura Ace version. The rear of the Shimano spider is milled out (about 3-or-4 mm) to allow the cassette to sit closer the centerline ... the loose spacers are thinner, and the lockring is milled.

So, you can theoretically MAY be able to just get a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ... and fiddle with the hubbub.com anchoring ... OR, get the shifters and a Wheels Manufacturing or American Classic Shimano-to-Campagnolo cassette if you want to use a 9-speed chain (a SRAM 89R chain was a common substitute for Campagnolo's 10-speed chain).

Hope that made sense!

Thanks for the replies but, sorry alfeng ;) , I'm still a bit confused. The hubbub.com articles appears to describe how to run a 9-spd cassette on a 10spd drivetrain. My goal would be to use a 10spd Campy drivetrain (shifters, front der, and rear der) with a Shimano 10 spd cassette.......

velozoom said:
Thanks for the replies but, sorry alfeng ;) , I'm still a bit confused. The hubbub.com articles appears to describe how to run a 9-spd cassette on a 10spd drivetrain. My goal would be to use a 10spd Campy drivetrain (shifters, front der, and rear der) with a Shimano 10 spd cassette.......
The KEY thing for you to be aware of is that there is a THIRD place where you can anchor the rear derailleur cable (i.e., at 3 o'clock).

The hubbub.com anchor position with the Campagnolo ERGO shifters + a 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur -- OR, by my reckoning, a Campagnolo rear derailleur -- should (but, may not!) provide you with indexing suitable for a Shimano 10-speed cassette.

That is, the hubbub.com anchoring position results in the rear derailleur moving a SMALLER amount ... and, by my reckoning, it is the amount to allow the 10-speed Shimano (or, Campagnolo) rear derailleur move the appropriate amount when mated to a 10-speed ERGO shifter to index to a Shimano 10-speed cassette IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE "STUCK" USING for the time being -- when the 10-speed Shimano cassette + ~3 chains wear out, you can get an American Classic or Wheels Manufacturing cassette for your Shimano wheel IF your wheel has a non-7800 hyper-splined (to coin a term!) Shimano-compatible freehub.

Utilizing the hubbub.com anchoring position to force a mating between a Campagnolo 10-speed shifter + 10-speed Shimano cassette is an on-paper & workstand-only supposition & testing & extrapolation that I have done with everything BUT a 10-speed Shimano cassette, and it may not be viable on the road with your specfic components -- or, as they say, your results may vary -- but, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

BTW. The anchor "washer" on the (i.e., MY) Campy rear derailleur is less "happy" about being rotated into the hubbub.com position; but, since you had indicated, originally, that you had the Shimano drivetrain, there is NO need to buy the Campy derailleurs.

You know, Shimano STI shifters still have what I refer to as a Lance-premium which means that you will get 2x-to-3x more for a USED set of STI shifters as the replacement cost of a NEW pair of Ergo shifters (unless you opt for Chorus or Record, that is).

Hope that makes sense, now ...

I agree with JTE83's reco of a conversion cassette if you don't want the ugliness of a jtek. I currently run (on one of my bikes) Record 10s drivetrain using Easton Vista SLs w/ shimano splines (they dont make camply splines) and use an American Classic conversion sprocket. Before the eastons I was using a Record 10s rear cassette and to my surprise the AC somehow shifts smoother than the stock Campy. I think maybe its the way the AC sprockets are coated or finished and they never seem to get dirty.