S.i.f Question Overload!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Unisykolist, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. Unisykolist

    Unisykolist Guest

    -How do you hold the seat when hopping Seat in front?- what i do is hold
    it with my right hand on the SIDE of the MIDDLE BIT of the saddle, my
    thumb on the surface of the seat and my fingers curled around the edge
    of it but i dont know if thats correct
    -How far away should the seat be from you?-
    -Is it tiring?-
    -How high do I hop?- (this is hopping on the spot BTW)
    I use a kh 20 trials.

    Any other tips?

    (If this is in the wrong section or you complain thats its been
    discussed heeps just dont post, i really need this help)

    --
    Unisykolist

    Sticky Tape fixes EVERYTHING :D
    Street & Trials }-360-unispin-'O,
    Nimbus Trials 20" ISIS
    I juggle 3 balls and do lots of tricks. I also juggle 4 for 10 secs and
    learning to juggle 5!
    BLUE CAP

  2. mill_mobile

    mill_mobile Guest

    Right section, right spelling so i guess i should reply...
    Only thing is did you search?!?! Just jokes, but if you did you
    would've found quite a bit of info as this has been raised quite a bit
    in the past.
    First of all your holding position is correct, this is how i hold it
    anyway.
    There is no real answerto how far your seat should be from you - i
    mainly keep it pretty close to me but others find it works better away
    from you for certain things... i find it feels smoother with the seat
    closer as its more in line with your body balance.
    It will be tiring and stressful on your arms until you get used to it,
    but once you have done it for a while it'll just be the norm.
    To hop high you need to crouch when you hop... bending at the knees
    also to bring the uni up underneath you as far as possible... this
    feels rather stupid and hard at first but keep at it.
    If you do a quick search, i cant be stuffed at the moment, you will
    find a tutorial video for SIF hopping - have a look at it and see what
    you can pick up.

    --
    mill_mobile

  3. > How do you hold the seat when hopping Seat in front?

    I hold it on the side of the seat just a little bit back from the
    seatpost. The way you described is just fine as long as it comfortable
    for you.

    > -How far away should the seat be from you?-

    Um, normally you want the back of the seat resting up against your body
    a little bit, but don't put too much pressure on that or it will
    restrict your movement as well as rubbing your thighs sore.
    If you're actually using SIF to do high jumps or gaps, etc. you should
    pull the seat up and away from your body so you can tuck better.
    Just don't ever get too dependent on holding the seat up against your
    body.

    > -Is it tiring?-

    Yeah it's pretty tiring at first but as you get better at it and can do
    it more efficiently it's not that bad.

    > -How high do I hop?- (this is hopping on the spot BTW)

    Not very high. You don't want to waste much energy doing that so keep
    it small and simple, just enough to correct your balance.
    Try working on still stands, and also when hopping in place think of it
    as little tiny micro still stands between hops, instead of bouncing like
    a pogo stick.

    > Any other tips?

    Unfortunately, practice makes perfect. The more you practice the better
    you get.
    If you can't already, make sure you can ride SIF really well. Being
    comfortable pedaling SIF helps a lot with hopping SIF.
    Experiment with different ways of riding SIF; try holding the seat out
    away from you as far as you can, bend your knees and ride low, learn to
    ride SIF in all different positions. This will help you a great deal
    with being comfortable and flexible for SIF trials.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    I will, because I can.
    '*-My Gallery-*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl)
    *www.qu-ax.com* *unicycle for
    christ*

    Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
    > Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

  4. jamessd

    jamessd Guest

    Tip: try to get aaround 50cm height with your seat in first, and then
    move on to hopping with your seat out - this will give you a head start
    and will save you learning seatout when you can barely get any height
    anyway.

    --
    jamessd

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
    Add me, but tel me who you are :p:
    [email protected]

    Kieron wrote:
    > I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
    > a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
    > bush.

  5. sp4rky-m4rky

    sp4rky-m4rky Guest

    jamessd wrote:
    > Tip: try to get aaround 50cm height with your seat in first, and then
    > move on to hopping with your seat out - this will give you a head start
    > and will save you learning seatout when you can barely get any height
    > anyway.

    Good luck convincing him. Im giving up telling people that, they just
    seem to ignore it, carrying on riding SIF thinking they know better.
    There loss I guess though.

    --
    sp4rky-m4rky

    '*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o**m*'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
    *)---':cool:, 1mHighJump*
    my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
    my 'Year in vid'
    (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
    learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
    (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
    Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)

  6. adjuggler

    adjuggler Guest

    sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
    > Good luck convincing him. Im giving up telling people that, they just
    > seem to ignore it, carrying on riding SIF thinking they know better.
    > There loss I guess though.

    Harsh/ Ignorant much? Maybe people will feel more comfortable... there
    has to be with some people moving to Sif has made them a better rider...
    You can't honestly say it will be better or worse.

    --
    adjuggler

    I really enjoy unicycling...
    '(Youtube Page)' (http://www.youtube.com/user/ADJuggler)

  7. thejdw

    thejdw Guest

  8. Nicf

    Nicf Guest

    sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
    > Good luck convincing him. Im giving up telling people that, they just
    > seem to ignore it, carrying on riding SIF thinking they know better.
    > There loss I guess though.

    but I don't get how because now I get 4 pallets sif but if I go and try
    si I bust my nut and it hurts my back bending over with the seat so low
    so Im all for listening to you advise because
    you guys are good and have been ther but it dosen't work for me any
    tips??

    --
    Nicf

  9. sp4rky-m4rky

    sp4rky-m4rky Guest

    adjuggler wrote:
    > Harsh/ Ignorant much? Maybe people will feel more comfortable... there
    > has to be with some people moving to Sif has made them a better
    > rider... You can't honestly say it will be better or worse.

    It was ment pretty lightly, I put it out there more as a joke.

    Nicf wrote:
    > but I don't get how because now I get 4 pallets sif but if I go and try
    > si I bust my nut and it hurts my back bending over with the seat so low
    > so Im all for listening to you advise because
    > you guys are good and have been ther but it dosen't work for me any
    > tips??

    I havnt seen you ride so I cant say exactly but I am asuming you are
    the same as the others.

    The way I look at it is, if your sidehopping SIF and you dont get
    anymore tuck than you would if you were doing it SI whats the point in
    doing it SIF? SIF you have to have better controll so realy it just
    seems you are making it harder for yourself.

    The reason I suggest being able to hit 50-60cm SI is because at the
    hight you should have good pedlal ballance and you will probably be
    finding, even with a realy low seat, your butt will be hitting the
    saddle as you try and tuck more. At this point your seat is restricting
    you. You can still go higher (as demenstrated by JH) but for quick
    results turning to SIF can add quite abit to your hop, relatively
    quickly.

    I have said this many times now but it seems most ignore it.

    adjuggler, the reason I asked you to post a full body shot of you
    hopping onto those three pallets SIF before was to try and prove to you
    that you were not gaining anything from being SIF. Unfotrionatly you
    didnt post a vid.

    Its upto you, as long as you have fun and enjoy it.

    --
    sp4rky-m4rky

    '*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o**m*'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
    *)---':cool:, 1mHighJump*
    my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
    my 'Year in vid'
    (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
    learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
    (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
    Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)

  10. Unisykolist

    Unisykolist Guest

    jamessd wrote:
    > Tip: try to get aaround 50cm height with your seat in first, and then
    > move on to hopping with your seat out - this will give you a head start
    > and will save you learning seatout when you can barely get any height
    > anyway.

    IS that riding at it then jumping slightly to the side? Riding out
    STRAIGHT at it and hopping? SIde hop with no pre-hop? Sidehop with
    prehop? For some odd reason I can hop higher when I ride along the side
    of the object or wall and then i lift up the uni and jump, that way i
    can jump higher then side hops?!

    --
    Unisykolist

    Sticky Tape fixes EVERYTHING :D
    Street & Trials }-360-unispin-'O,
    Nimbus Trials 20" ISIS
    I juggle 3 balls and do lots of tricks. I also juggle 4 for 10 secs and
    learning to juggle 5!
    BLUE CAP

  11. jamessd

    jamessd Guest

    Unisykolist wrote:
    > IS that riding at it then jumping slightly to the side? Riding out
    > STRAIGHT at it and hopping? SIde hop with no pre-hop? Sidehop with
    > prehop? For some odd reason I can hop higher when I ride along the side
    > of the object or wall and then i lift up the uni and jump, that way i
    > can jump higher then side hops?!

    You ride up to your obstacle and stop between 50cm and 1m away from it,
    side on, with the obstacle on the side that you hop towards naturally.
    Have one hand on the handle. Do little balance hops to keep you on the
    spot until you are ready to go for the hop. When you are ready, jump
    towards the obstacle leaving yourself enough side-to-side room to get
    up it, kicking your pedals down and then lifting up as much as you can
    to get up the obstacle, all with your seat between your legs, which is
    seat in.

    --

    Kieron wrote:
    > I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
    > a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
    > bush.

  12. Enoch

    Enoch Guest

    sp4rky-m4rky wrote:

    > I have said this many times now but it seems most ignore it.

    Not Me,

    From what I have noticed, some of the best riders keep the seat in,
    unless they are going big, Walk before you Run...

    If I can get where I can go 2 feet high with confidence I would be
    happy. :D

    --
    Enoch

  13. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  14. Unisykolist

    Unisykolist Guest

    irvinegr wrote:
    > just go out and ride, and learn. soo easy

    I like your idea. If there was no such thing as the forums or interent
    unicycling websites, I probably wouldnt matter when learning the tricks
    but I always like tips and stuff.