S.P.C.R.S. (Society for the prevention of cruelty to RANS Screamers)

Jerry Rhodes

Guest
The UPS guy just dropped off my "Last KS Screamer frame". According to the seller (a very personable
fellow)it was a:

"DOUBLE RECUMBENT BICYCLE is new but has paint damage ie. chips. Built in Hayes Kansas by RANS and
labled the Screamer."

It was very roughly handled in the defunct LBS where it originated. In tossing it around both bottom
bracket shells got dented about .030. The paint is indeed dinged but that is no problem.

At the price ($485) I can live with the "cosmetics" but would like some hints from my fellow
obsessive-compulsives on how to correct the cruel and unsual treatment that this poor defenseless
piece of 4130 has suffered at the hands of fools.

I have taken out some pretty serious dents in shotgun bbls in my time and have tried to
unsuccesfully UNwarp a bottom bracket shell that I damaged by careless brazing technique. So I do
have a "frame of reference" so to speak.

Leave off the "WAR" stuff and get down to IMPORTANT thoughts!!!!!!!

Thanks, boys and girls..

Jerry

If this is the one that was on ebay,I asked the seller why the front boom wasn't in the picture ,and
that I was concerned about the condition of the bb's. He answered by saying, if I was concerned
about the condition that I shouldn't bid,so I didn't. Ben Fox "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

Jerry Rhodes wrote:
> ... It was very roughly handled in the defunct LBS where it originated. In tossing it around both
> bottom bracket shells got dented about .030. The paint is indeed dinged but that is no problem....

Jerry,

Do the dents in the BB shells affect function in any way - spindles not aligned properly, threads
damaged, or are the shells contacting the BB in the area between the threads?

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

> Do the dents in the BB shells affect function in any way - >

The outer leading edges of the bottom bracket shell got dented in a bit in the threaded area. It
must have been tossed about quite a bit and stood on it's nose several times. The threaded area
needs to be eased out so the threads can be chased with a tap.

I got an E-Mail from one of our Recumbent Bike pioneers with a generous offer to "look" and the
damage for me and perhaps suggest a cure.

This evening I will take the good camera home and I will shoot some pictures. I may even post them
to my photo album if I can figure out where I "left" it.

Other than that I will have a complete and functioning Screamer in a few weeks.

Now I need to get my Groaner to agree to do her part.

Jerry

"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> If this is the one that was on ebay,I asked the seller why the front boom wasn't in the picture
> ,and that I was concerned about the condition of the bb's. He answered by saying, if I was
> concerned about the condition that I shouldn't bid,so I didn't.

Thanks for not running it up, Ben. I anticipated a "rough" item after talking to the seller. I asked
him if the thinner tubes showed signs of having been crushed and he said that other than two small
dings the tubes were all straight. I asked him to brace the rear dropouts with a piece of wood so
the UPS would not finish the job that the "liquidators" had started.

Even if I have to cut out the front shell and replace it I will still have a better Screamer than I
can build and a cheaper one than I can buy.

Jerry