S710i erratic readings and PPP3

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
anyone experience erractic readings such as 230 HR or maybe even 110km for speed while using the HRM ? Seems that its interference caused by traffic perhaps.. but the strange thing is when i dload the file which has these errors to the PPP3 software the software reduces my Max HR to 136 instead of the 213 which is shown on my watch receiver . So is this a error correction feature or some thing in the software? Cos for the rest of the files which didnt have such erratic readings the dload info is the same or at most + or - 1 difference.

Originally posted by SniperX
anyone experience erractic readings such as 230 HR or maybe even 110km for speed while using the HRM ? Seems that its interference caused by traffic perhaps.. but the strange thing is when i dload the file which has these errors to the PPP3 software the software reduces my Max HR to 136 instead of the 213 which is shown on my watch receiver . So is this a error correction feature or some thing in the software? Cos for the rest of the files which didnt have such erratic readings the dload info is the same or at most + or - 1 difference.

Do you find its worst around powerlines?

hmmmz i'm not that sure bout powerlines but taxi cabs yesss i actually did a test once early in the wee hours of the morning went riding on this road then i monitored all vehicles passing me and there were really very few at that kinda hours then came this cab my speed went up to 110kmh and hR 232 .. ( if only I was that fit ) .. cab went pass ... few secs later HR droped to "normal" and so did the speed. But that was done with the s510 b4 I got the 710i . I guess the sensors work in the same way . But as for the pp3 sofware and the pc coach light there is a big diff in reading the downloaded files as i have mentioned earlier in my posts .. it sort of " corrected" the erratic readings .. i'm not too sure yet but if it really has this error corection feature then I must say the software is really great

Hi,

I think it's a common problem with HRM's. When you pass an object with a strong magnetic field (such as powerlines), you can get erratic readings. Sometimes your HRM doesn't even pick up a signal anymore.

As I ride a lot on my trainer - Belgian weather :( - I have also noticed the same effect indoors. I usually ride in front of the TV and as there is a lot of electronic stuff in the vincinity (TV, video, stereo, speakers, ...) I sometimes get erronous readings. Moving away from these appliances solves the problem

Greetz,

Niek

Yeah one of the options is to auto-correct dodgy HR readings when loading the data from the watch.

You can turn off this auto-correct, and have the option to do it manually (not just for HR, but also the other measures) -- right-click on the graph and select "Error Correction". For each measurement, there are sometimes a few auto-correction functions you can select with a button that comes up on the subwindow (like auto-correct HR, compensate for altitude drift, etc.)

I find that speed is the most "unstable" of the four data streams on the 710.

Is this everybody else's experience or do I have a setup problem.

Leon

Yeah that sounds about right, speed (with cadence following soon after) seem to be the first to go. Sometimes I get one-off readings of 65+ kph for a split second..

Luckily so long as it's not a long-term interference, it's easy to correct in the software. And then occasionally, when you do get long-term interference, you start wondering if there are any power sensor kits with a broken power sensing unit floating about, just so you can get the wired speed and cadence sensors :)

hmmm do u guys find that the plascitc side edges of the polar chest transmitter gets worn out after inserting the chest strap( round electrode at the sides) in and out ? the sharp ends seem to get "chipped" off or worn out after insertions n removals are made.

I have never had that problem. I have had four heart rate monitors over the last 10 years.

L

Originally posted by SniperX
hmmm do u guys find that the plascitc side edges of the polar chest transmitter gets worn out after inserting the chest strap( round electrode at the sides) in and out ? the sharp ends seem to get "chipped" off or worn out after insertions n removals are made.

Nope never had that problem, I have however had the od one snap off, which is abit annoying :rolleyes:

cheers!

hmmmz what is the right way of attaching the chest strap to the monitor actually ? i usally slant in the round electrode first b4 clipping it in ? but as u clip it in there will be friction as u secure it tight and thats the cause of the wear n tear ?

I find that the worst interference i get is around the local telephone exchange where for a hundred meters either side i get a HR reading of 240+

but as was mentioned you can use the error correction to remove it in the software