SA: Dangerous drivers face life in jail

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
SA brings in new dangerous driving legislation due to recommendations made at the Kapunda Road Royal Commission, refer to 2nd article below. The contempt of court case with Craig and Eugene McGee was adjourned until August:

Lawyer fails to have hit-run dismissed - 25 May, 2006
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19246375-421,00.html

Shall be intriguing to see if there's any satisfactory resolution to this longrunning case by the end of 2006, or the legal process drags it out for a few more years..

***

Dangerous drivers face life in jail
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,19960084-5005962,00.html
July 30, 2006 01:23pm

Drivers who kill or seriously injure a person could face life behind bars under new laws in South Australia. And they could also be disqualified from driving for ten years after completing any jail term.

Motorists who kill or seriously injure someone in aggravated circumstances would face a maximum life sentence, SA Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said.

"In the face of public outrage against those who cause death and serious injury by dangerous driving, the Kapunda Road royal commission recommended that these types of offences be treated the same as manslaughter," he said.

The royal commission examined the handling of the case of an Adelaide lawyer found guilty of driving without due care after the death of cyclist Ian Humphrey.

Eugene McGee received a fine and his licence was suspended for 12 months.

Under the new laws, an offence of dangerous driving becomes aggravated if a driver attempts to escape police, has a blood-alcohol level of 0.15 or higher, drives while disqualified, or exceeds the speed limit by 45km/h or more.

For non-aggravated offences, a reckless driver whose driving leads to an incident in which someone is maimed or killed will receive a maximum sentence of 15 years jail for a first offence and life for a subsequent offence.

"Previously, people who failed to stop after killing a person with a motor vehicle could be sentenced only to one year in jail for failing to stop," Mr Atkinson said.

Returning to the legislation for a mo, the details of the SA Criminal Law Consolidation (Dangerous Driving) Amendment Act 2006 can to be found here:
http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/news.php?id=445

I've archived most of the McGee Case news articles in these categories on WoJ: McGee Case
http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-case/

Kapunda Road Royal Commission
http://www.woj.com.au/category/kapunda-road-royal-commission/

McGee Contempt of Court Case (ongoing)
http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-contempt-of-court-case/

If you still want to read more (after that couple of hundred pages above), peruse the AUSTLII database.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Returning to the legislation for a mo, the details of the SA Criminal
> Law Consolidation (Dangerous Driving) Amendment Act 2006 can to be
> found here:
> http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/news.php?id=445
>
> I've archived most of the McGee Case news articles in these categories
> on WoJ: McGee Case
> http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-case/
>
> Kapunda Road Royal Commission
> http://www.woj.com.au/category/kapunda-road-royal-commission/
>
> McGee Contempt of Court Case (ongoing)
> http://www.woj.com.au/category/mcgee-contempt-of-court-case/
>
> If you still want to read more (after that couple of hundred pages
> above), peruse the AUSTLII database.
> http://www.austlii.edu.au/
>

> --
> cfsmtb

It sounds like things are moving generally in the right direction. Who'da
thunk that people might actually have to take responsibility for their own
actions?

Resound said:
It sounds like things are moving generally in the right direction. Who'da
thunk that people might actually have to take responsibility for their own
actions?

Yeah, who would of thought that this legislation could of occured without a whole lot of political grandstanding? What, me, cynical? Possibly. Although I still hold dear to those principles about living in a *civil society* with recourse and due process.

BTW, a precis of sorts about "Civil Society"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_society