SA vs England - Twickenham

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Rewind to Saturday, 23rd November 2002 - it is just before
England vs South Africa at Twickenham...

Jonny Wilkinson goes into the England changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum.
"What's up?" he asks.
"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but we've just beaten the All Blacks and Australia in consecutive weeks and let's be honest it's only South Africa. They're bloody shite and we can't be bothered".
Jonny looks at them and says, "Well, the way I've been playing
recently, I reckon I can beat these guys by myself... you lads go down the pub."
So Jonny goes out to play South Africa by himself and the rest of the England team go off for a few jars.
After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the telly on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads, "England 7 - South Africa 0 (Wilkinson - 10 minutes - Converted Try)".
He is beating South Africa all by himself! Anyway, the telly goes off and a few more pints later the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how Jonny got on".
They put the telly back on. "Result from the Stadium, England 7 (Wilkinson 10 minutes) - South Africa 7 (Paulse 79 minutes)".
They can't believe it; Jonny has single-handed got a draw against
South Africa and maintained England's unbeaten run at home!! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sitting with his head in his hands.
He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you all down." says Jonny, almost in tears.
"Don't be daft, you got a draw against South Africa, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very end!" says the rest of the team.
"No, No, I have," says Wilkinson, "I've let you down... I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Sounds like the monty python skit about living in wet paper bag in middle of lake.

If you tell the young kids of today they wouldn't believe it.

You haven't bumped into Warney lately have you? I here he's hiding in pommie land. His wife has confiscated his mobile phone.