Sabin at the Park

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by UniBrier, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    Last Sunday Saban A. and I went scouting some ride locations.

    We started off at the "new" Woodinville Sk8 Park. Pretty good riding but
    a bit crowded. We moved on to Bothell Landing and hopped up and down the
    ampitheatre before making the 1/2 mile treck onto Blythe Park.

    At Blythe there were plenty of fun things to ride on the playground, big
    tractor tires, a terraced tire retaining mound, a platform and bench for
    rolling hops, a good set of railroad tie stairs down to the river and
    lots of other fun stuff.

    We left the camera in the car for most of the ride but went back to
    shoot some of the Blyth stuff. My digi-cam has a 7 Frame Per Second
    setting that I've posted sequences before, but it also has a feature I
    had not used yet that will turn those 7 FPS sequences into a Quicktime
    Movie. We shot over 300 frames.

    I have posted four movies and two sequences at:

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SabinAtThePark

    The first sequence and movie is a gap from a 6x6 rail over water to the
    shore. Sabin free mounted onto the rail, nailed the gap, and a side
    hopped good portion of the slope following.

    Next is a movie of a rolling hop onto a platform, up onto the bench, and
    off.

    Next is a movie of Seat-out jump onto the big tires, gap across both
    tires and drop off.

    Last is a movie and Sequence of a crank hang to rubber to drop off of a
    tree stump.

    The movie files are a bit large, 7 to 10 MB. I need to figure out how to
    compress them.

    Check out the kids and their comments in the water and tire movies.

    Enjoy!

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve De Cuckoo

    "Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
    bottom." - ‘tiped again’ on the early stages of mastering the uni.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  2. Great stuff! Hey Sabin and Steve, would you mind if I borrow some of
    those frames and make a little image analysis out of them for
    www.unicycle.2ya.com? Of course I'd give you both crtedit for them.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Gone Cokerin'

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Two of the videos didn't upload to the gallery. The gallery has been
    having problems with larger files recently. It will look like the file
    is uploaded, but when you try to download it the file is not there.

    The Water Gap Movie (10.2 MB) and the Tires Jumps & Gaps Movie (9.6 MB)
    are both DOA in the gallery.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  4. mango

    mango Guest

    man i love that pedal grab. I've never seen it done quite like that.
    Sabin's an animal.:D Thanks for the pics/vids.

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv16

    "...I speculated that if we all got to know each other, one lawn mower
    would be enough for any neighborhood." -Keith Cash
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  5. I think this photo shows us a lot about what good pedal grabbing
    technique should look like. Great work Sabin. :)

    Andrew

    | Attachment filename: clipboard02.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/217203|

    andrew_carter - Two unicycling years old.

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

  6. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *would you mind if I borrow some of those frames and make a little
    > image analysis out of them for www.unicycle.2ya.com? *

    Go ahead, we're looking forward to it.

    john_childs wrote:
    > *The Water Gap Movie (10.2 MB) and the Tires Jumps & Gaps Movie (9.6
    > MB) are both DOA in the gallery.*

    Shoot, I didn't test them after upload. Can someone send me a PM on how
    to compress the vids? I can work on them tonight and repost tomorrow,
    I'm on a road trip today.

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve De Cuckoo

    "Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
    bottom." - ‘tiped again’ on the early stages of mastering the uni.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  7. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > *Shoot, I didn't test them after upload. Can someone send me a PM on
    > how to compress the vids? I can work on them tonight and repost
    > tomorrow, I'm on a road trip today. *

    It is possible to use 'TMPGEnc' (http://www.tmpgenc.net/) to compress
    the video to an MPEG-1 file. That will reduce the file size by more
    than half, depending on the bitrate you decide to encode at.

    If TMPGEnc doesn't open the QuickTime file then you'll need to install
    the 'QTReader plugin for TMPGEnc'
    (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4942/svcd.html). Extract the
    download file and copy the QTREADER.VFP file to the directory where
    TMPGEnc is installed. TMPGEnc will now be able to open and convert the
    QuickTime MOV files.

    TMPGEnc is a freeware program.

    When TMPGEnc starts up it will display a Project Wizard dialog. Cancel
    that dialog. We'll do this manually.

    Select the video source (the MOV file)
    Select the output file name
    Click the Setting button
    Select the Video tab
    Stream type MPEG-1
    Frame rate of 7.5 fps since your camera is 7.5 fps
    Rate control mode: Constant bitrate (CBR)
    Bitrate: somewhere around 2000 kbits/sec
    Click OK
    Click the Start button in the upper lefthand corner

    Now you should have an MPEG-1 version of the MOV file.

    If you don't like the quality of the video then increase the bitrate
    until you get a result that looks good.

    The other alternative is to buy QuickTime Pro from Apple. QuickTime pro
    will allow you to recompress the MOV file from your camera to something
    smaller. But that option costs money.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  8. Thanks for the link John. I used to use VirtualDub to compress movies
    but a lot of people have trouble with getting the DivX codec to work for
    them it seems. This makes it a little difficult at times to share
    videos with people. It's good to know of a program that doesn't save
    movies as .avi files. The compressed videos you get out of this program
    will be viewable on any computer won't they?

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Two unicycling years old.

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

  9. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > * The compressed videos you get out of this program will be viewable
    > on any computer won't they?
    > *

    Yup, pretty much any computer will be able to play an MPEG-1 file. It's
    the best format for distributing video if you're concerned about
    compatibility.

    TMPGEnc has the option to save as an MPEG-2 file during a trial period.
    MPEG-2 is the format used for DVDs. Don't use MPEG-2 because it
    requires a DVD player software to play. Most computers don't have DVD
    player software installed so they won't be able to play the video.

    MPEG-1 will be a little bit bigger than WMV-9 or DivX. This is because
    you have to use a higher bitrate with MPEG-1 to get the same quality as
    with WMV-9 or DivX.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com