Sachs Ergo Brifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kapers, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Kapers

    Kapers Guest

    Hey All. Remember the pre-sram days of Sachs? Remember when they made/sold a Brifter (I think it was
    part of their New-success group) that was similar to the Campy Ergo, but was Shimano Compatible?
    Anyone remember these, and recall whether they made it up to 8sp rear indexing in these before Sram
    had them eliminated? Most importantly, Anyone have a pair they would like to find a good home for?
    TIA. Keith Pears.

    "The knack lies in learning to throw yourself
    - at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams.

    Tags:

  2. kapers-<< Remember the pre-sram days of Sachs? Remember when they made/sold a Brifter (I think it
    was part of their New-success group) that was similar to the Campy Ergo, but was Shimano Compatible?
    >><BR><BR>

    Yep-

    << Anyone remember these, and recall whether they made it up to 8sp rear indexing in these before
    Sram had them eliminated? >><BR><BR>

    8s only, never 7s.

  3. Someone wrote:

    > kapers-<< Remember the pre-sram days of Sachs? Remember when they made/sold a Brifter (I think it
    > was part of their New-success group) that was similar to the Campy Ergo, but was Shimano
    > Compatible? >><BR><BR>

    Peter Chisholm replied

    > Yep-
    >
    > << Anyone remember these, and recall whether they made it up to 8sp rear indexing in these before
    > Sram had them eliminated? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > 8s only, never 7s.

    These were actually made by Campagnolo. If memory serves, they were designed to shift 5 mm per
    click, which is "Campagnolo" 8-speed spacing.

    It happens that 5 mm per click is also _everybody's_ 7-speed spacing, so these work great with
    Shimano 7-speed systems. I used to sell these regularly for this application, but they've gone
    extinct since then.

    Sheldon "Ergo, Cogito Sum" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense, | differing from the latter only as a
    | veteran may differ from | a raw recruit: and its methods differ from those of common | sense
    | only as far as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ | from the manner in which a savage wields
    | his club. | --T.H. Huxley |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Capt Bike-<< These were actually made by Campagnolo. If memory serves,
    they
    > were designed to shift 5 mm per click, which is "Campagnolo" 8-speed spacing.
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > With a shimano or Mavic rear der, shifted shimano, 8s, 4.8mm ctr to ctr spacing...
    >
    > Peter Chisholm

    Mine used to shift Shimano 8 cassettes and Sachs 8 FWs equally as well using a 600 rear derailleur.

    I'm still upset that I sold these off before I knew that you could upgrade the shift disc to 9sp!

    Mike

  5. I've been happily using a pair of these, the last generation version with Ballbearing action /
    carbon bodies, mated with a Sachs rear derailleur. They also perform flawlessly on the old (early
    90's) Mavic "hooked" cassette sprockets, I could never manage that with Sti shifters. Also using
    Sachs Freewheels and 8s shimano cassettes, best shifters going for an 8sp retro-bike.

    >"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Capt Bike-<< These were actually made by Campagnolo. If memory serves,
    >they
    >> were designed to shift 5 mm per click, which is "Campagnolo" 8-speed spacing.
    >>
    >> With a shimano or Mavic rear der, shifted shimano, 8s, 4.8mm ctr to ctr spacing...
    >>
    >> Peter Chisholm
    >

    >Mine used to shift Shimano 8 cassettes and Sachs 8 FWs equally as well using a 600 rear derailleur.
    >
    >I'm still upset that I sold these off before I knew that you could upgrade the shift disc to 9sp!
    >
    >Mike

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Andrew McLaren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been happily using a pair of these, the last generation version with Ballbearing action /
    > carbon bodies, mated with a Sachs rear derailleur.
    They
    > also perform flawlessly on the old (early 90's) Mavic "hooked" cassette sprockets, I could never
    > manage that with Sti shifters. Also using Sachs Freewheels and 8s shimano cassettes, best shifters
    > going for an 8sp
    retro-bike.

    That's it, rub it in you bastard!

    I do still have a NS short AND long cage rear derailleur. The short cage is on my 'cross bike, being
    shifted by 105 STI. On the one (very short!) ride I've taken it on, it seems to do OK.

    I'd still love to have my set of Ergo shifters back!

    Mike

  7. One source you might consider is an eBay search for "Sachs" in Sports category, located in Germany.
    I've found a few similarly hard-to-find older parts that way. I did a search and found a couple of
    current auctions

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2739538259&category=9194
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3616447123&category=9201

    unfortunately these sellers are only shipping to Germany / Europe. BUT there seems to be a lot more
    (often NOS) late 80s early 90s european made parts getting sold in eBay Germany than Stateside.
    Plenty of eBay vendors over there more than happy to sell internationally.