Sachs New Success Advice

Allan

Guest
Hi All,

I have a Sachs New Success 8-speed road setup. It's from around 1988

The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are totally worn out. I'm currently using some old 8 speed
campag jockey wheels. It's not working too well as the campag jockey wheels are not an exact match

What I'm looking for is

a. A place to buy new sachs jockey wheels (a url of a retail shop would be nice, Australian
if possible)

b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra 8-speed
cassette 13-23

Thanks,

Allan

I think you'll have to use a Shimano derailleur as the Sachs shifters were for Shimano spacing,
not Campy.

-Dion

"Dion Dock" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think you'll have to use a Shimano derailleur as the Sachs shifters were for Shimano spacing,
> not Campy.

You are correct, if you are talking about Sachs's 7 speed equipment. Their 8-speed was spaced like
Campy 8. The OP is using 8sp.

In my experience with 7 speed New Success, it works best with downtube or thumbshifters and a
Shimano HG cluster. I would not be surprised if 8 speed works best with a Campy cluster. Sachs
freewheels have their virtues, but reliably clean shifting is not one of them I'm sorry to say.

New Success derailleurs used to come with a spare flaccid jockey pulley that could be substituted
for the stock sealed bearing one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they indexed better that way,
but those pulleys offended my sensibilities and I always discarded them.

Chalo Colina

Allen-<< b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra
8-speed cassette 13-23 >><BR><BR>

Campagnolo won't but a shimano one will, any except DA 8s rear der.

Allan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi All,
>

> I have a Sachs New Success 8-speed road setup. It's from around 1988
>
> The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are totally worn out. I'm currently using some old 8
> speed campag jockey wheels. It's not working too well as the campag jockey wheels are not an
> exact match
>
> What I'm looking for is
>
> a. A place to buy new sachs jockey wheels (a url of a retail shop would be nice, Australian if
> possible)

Seems like there should be an aftermarket wheel that will fit. I tried fitting an older Shimano 600
wheel on a Sachs derailleur and it seemed to work as well as but not better than the stock
(experimenting with pulley float). But I would clean up the derailleur, take it to a well stccked
bike shop, and see if I could find a match. SRAM might also be a possibility.

> b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra 8-speed
> cassette 13-23

There has been a ton of stuff posted in the ng about Sachs shifter compatibility, with lots of
difference of experience. My best guess to explain it is that not all Sachs drivetrain were built to
the same specs, but I don't know where the variance is. It seems like a Campy derailleur is not a
good match for a Sachs shifter. However, you could get the Campy parts to change it to Campy 8s
specs, which should work with the Shimano 8s cassette although it will overshift by .2mm/cog.

You might want to google the archive for this ng to see the different experiences of people trying
to get Shimano compatibility for their Sachs shifters.

I think your surest, least expensive bet is to get some new jockey wheels.

JP

"Dion Dock" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I think you'll have to use a Shimano derailleur as the Sachs shifters were for Shimano spacing,
> not Campy.
>
> -Dion
>
> "Allan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi All,
> >

> > I have a Sachs New Success 8-speed road setup. It's from around 1988
> >
> > The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are totally worn out. I'm currently using some old 8
> > speed campag jockey wheels. It's not working too well as the campag jockey wheels are not an
> > exact match
> >
> > What I'm looking for is
> >
> > a. A place to buy new sachs jockey wheels (a url of a retail shop would be nice, Australian if
> > possible)
> >
> > b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra 8-
> > speed cassette 13-23
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Allan

Don't get a Shimano Rear Derr - it won't work. I have an identical setup on my rain bike, and my
pulleys were shot on my Sachs Rear Derr. I had a 8sp Ultegra Rear and it was HORRIBLE. I ended up
just running over to the LBS where they set me up with some 8sp aftermarket Aluminum pulleys. Two
spacers on each side back into the Sachs NS Rear Derr and I'm back in action.

If only I could figure out how to keep my left Ergo shifter from jamming up when the hills come...

-a

Originally posted by Allan
Hi All,

I have a Sachs New Success 8-speed road setup. It's from around 1988

The jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are totally worn out. I'm currently using some old 8 speed
campag jockey wheels. It's not working too well as the campag jockey wheels are not an exact match

What I'm looking for is

a. A place to buy new sachs jockey wheels (a url of a retail shop would be nice, Australian
if possible)

b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra 8-speed
cassette 13-23

Thanks,

Allan
1997 8-speed indexes 5.0 mm; Sames as Campy 8
Sachs 1998+ 8-speed indexes 4.8 mm; Same as Shimano 8
so it depends which one you have.
You can try after market jockey wheels and fit them with spacers on your existing derailer if it is otherwise good condition.

So, it appears that:

1 A shimano ultegra 8-speed derailleur will work

2.It also appears that a campag derailleur will work

I think I'll just try to track down the right sort of jockey wheels, seems like Sachs flirted
between both spacings and there is absolutely no consensus on what to use.

I thank everybody for their contributions. If I can't find suitable jockey wheels I'm going to
upgrade to 10-speed to match my other road bike.

In the mean time I'm riding my fixed single speed lots more, not so many issues to be
concerned about

Allan

> > Hi All, I have a Sachs New Success 8-speed road setup. It's from around 1988 The jockey wheels
> > on the rear derailleur are totally worn out. I'm currently using some old 8 speed campag jockey
> > wheels. It's not working too well as the campag jockey wheels are not an exact match What I'm
> > looking for is
> > a. A place to buy new sachs jockey wheels (a url of a retail shop would be nice, Australian if
> > possible)
> > b. Or if a older 8 speed campag derailleur will work with the changers, I using a ultegra 8-
> > speed cassette 13-23 Thanks, Allan
>

>1997 8-speed indexes 5.0 mm; Sames as Campy 8 Sachs 1998+ 8-speed indexes 4.8 mm; Same as Shimano 8
>so it depends which one you have. You can try after market jockey wheels and fit them with spacers
>on your existing derailer if it is otherwise good condition.

"Allan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So, it appears that:
>
> 1 A shimano ultegra 8-speed derailleur will work
>
> 2.It also appears that a campag derailleur will work
>
> I think I'll just try to track down the right sort of jockey wheels, seems like Sachs flirted
> between both spacings and there is absolutely no consensus on what to use.
>
> I thank everybody for their contributions. If I can't find suitable jockey wheels I'm going to
> upgrade to 10-speed to match my other road bike.
>
> In the mean time I'm riding my fixed single speed lots more, not so many issues to be
> concerned about
>
> Allan

Hey Campy gurus:

Can't he just rebuild his old Sachs levers to make them 10v? One shift disc and a spring or two and
awaaaayyy you go!

Or are the Sachs levers too old?

Mike