Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sachs spectro hub Q's

Started by S R Sharp · · Last activity · 4 posts · 602 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 June 2005
Last activity
9 June 2005
Original author
S R Sharp
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
602
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Finally getting around to installing my Sachs (not SRAM- if it matters)
    Spectro 7-speed hub with drum brake and I've got 2 questions: directions
    state that I should use a "fit retaining washer" (aka "anti-rotation
    washer"😉 on both sides. Hub only came with one, how critical is it to
    use 2?

    Directions state to only use a brake lever "with a cable moving distance
    of at least 15mm" (OK I got that part) "and a minimum leverage ratio of
    3.8." How do I determine the leverage ratio for a given lever, or more
    importantly, is that a linear-pull lever, canti-brake lever?

    Thanks for any help

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  2. S R Sharp said:

    Finally getting around to installing my Sachs (not SRAM- if it
    matters) Spectro 7-speed hub with drum brake and I've got 2
    questions: directions state that I should use a "fit retaining
    washer" (aka "anti-rotation washer"😉 on both sides. Hub only
    came with one, how critical is it to use 2?

    Mine's a SRAM, and it came with only one washer. I can't
    visualise which side I have it fitted to, but it was quite
    obvious which side it was going to be effective on. I puzzled
    over the instruction's mention of 2 washers, and concluded that
    to be a mistake for my hub.

    If you want to know which side mine's on, let me know and I'll
    look and report back. I've done 19,000 km on my S7 to date, by
    the way.

    Quoted message said:

    Directions state to only use a brake lever "with a cable
    moving distance of at least 15mm" (OK I got that part) "and a
    minimum leverage ratio of 3.8." How do I determine the
    leverage ratio for a given lever, or more importantly, is that
    a linear-pull lever, canti-brake lever?

    I simply fitted mine up to the existing lever and tried it.
    It's not easy to lock up the back wheel when using the rear
    brake alone (not enough leverage). But that's a good thing
    IMHO, as it's still very, very easy to lock up the rear when
    similtaneously using the front brake seriously.

    John

  3. S R Sharp said:


    Finally getting around to installing my Sachs (not SRAM- if it matters)
    Spectro 7-speed hub with drum brake and I've got 2 questions: directions
    state that I should use a "fit retaining washer" (aka "anti-rotation
    washer"😉 on both sides. Hub only came with one, how critical is it to
    use 2?

    Yeah, they came with just one. I got some extras so I could use two,
    because that's the only thing other than friction on the dropout faces
    that keeps the hub axle from twisting in the frame under gearbox
    reaction torque.

    Quoted message said:

    Directions state to only use a brake lever "with a cable moving distance
    of at least 15mm" (OK I got that part) "and a minimum leverage ratio of
    3.8." How do I determine the leverage ratio for a given lever, or more
    importantly, is that a linear-pull lever, canti-brake lever?

    That's a cantilever type flat bar lever. Linear pull levers don't
    deliver enough force, and most drop bar levers bottom out before the
    brake is fully engaged.

    Chalo Colina

  4. Chalo said:
    S R Sharp said:

    Finally getting around to installing my Sachs (not SRAM- if it matters)
    Spectro 7-speed hub with drum brake and I've got 2 questions: directions
    state that I should use a "fit retaining washer" (aka "anti-rotation
    washer"😉 on both sides. Hub only came with one, how critical is it to
    use 2?

    Yeah, they came with just one. I got some extras so I could use two,
    because that's the only thing other than friction on the dropout faces
    that keeps the hub axle from twisting in the frame under gearbox
    reaction torque.

    Quoted message said:

    Directions state to only use a brake lever "with a cable moving distance
    of at least 15mm" (OK I got that part) "and a minimum leverage ratio of
    3.8." How do I determine the leverage ratio for a given lever, or more
    importantly, is that a linear-pull lever, canti-brake lever?

    That's a cantilever type flat bar lever. Linear pull levers don't
    deliver enough force, and most drop bar levers bottom out before the
    brake is fully engaged.

    Chalo Colina

    Thanks for the info. Regarding the brake lever, that's what I was
    figuring (that it was designed for a canti lever) but I was hoping to
    use a linear-pull Avid w/a Speed-dial knob so I could vary the leverage
    until I found a spot that I liked. Ever try that set-up?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.