Road Cycling · Public discussion

Sachs Torpedo hub brake greasing

Started by maxo · · Last activity · 4 posts · 721 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 August 2005
Last activity
12 August 2005
Original author
maxo
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
721
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just overhauled one of these on momma's bike.

    Quite elegant, I'd never pulled one of these apart before--I'm now
    appreciative of the simplicity of good ole coaster brake tech.

    Greased all three bearing races *and* the metal drum brake shoe
    thingamajig as they all had nasty contaminated grease on them...

    I *am* supposed to greased the metal brake shoe thingamajig??

    Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

  2. maxo said:

    I *am* supposed to greased the metal brake shoe thingamajig??

    AFAIK the brake shoe needs to be greased.

    Quoted message said:


    Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

    It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
    lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
    properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get
    an almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease
    still left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

    Christian
    http://www.tinyworld.de

  3. Christian Zickermann said:
    Quoted message said:

    Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

    It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
    lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
    properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get an
    almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease still
    left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

    Good to know. I greased it with regular automotive wheel bearing
    grease--but I don't think that's tolerant high temp, I'll have to check
    the packaging later. I'm not in Europe so running down to the local shop
    for a tube of Sach's grease is out of the question. I'll stop by an
    automotive parts store and see if they have any high temperature grease.

  4. maxo said:
    Christian Zickermann said:
    Quoted message said:

    Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

    It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
    lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
    properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get
    an almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease
    still left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

    Good to know. I greased it with regular automotive wheel bearing
    grease--but I don't think that's tolerant high temp, I'll have to check
    the packaging later. I'm not in Europe so running down to the local shop
    for a tube of Sach's grease is out of the question. I'll stop by an
    automotive parts store and see if they have any high temperature grease.

    checked the packaging and the automotive grease I used is indeed high temp
    stuff. 🙂 I just didn't use enough when packing the hub as I was a bit gun
    shy.Guess I'll crack it open again and squeeze in some more grease.

    Reminds me of the Shimano Nexus brake grease issue. "YOU MUST USE SHIMNANO
    ROLLER BRAKE GREASE". Yeah right. 99c stuff from the auto supply house did
    the trick just fine--for years and thousands of miles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.