Sachs Torpedo hub brake greasing

maxo

Guest
I just overhauled one of these on momma's bike.

Quite elegant, I'd never pulled one of these apart before--I'm now
appreciative of the simplicity of good ole coaster brake tech.

Greased all three bearing races *and* the metal drum brake shoe
thingamajig as they all had nasty contaminated grease on them...

I *am* supposed to greased the metal brake shoe thingamajig??

Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:40:11 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

>I *am* supposed to greased the metal brake shoe thingamajig??

AFAIK the brake shoe needs to be greased.

>Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get
an almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease
still left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

Christian
http://www.tinyworld.de

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:59:18 +0200, Christian Zickermann wrote:

>>Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

> It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
> lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
> properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get an
> almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease still
> left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

Good to know. I greased it with regular automotive wheel bearing
grease--but I don't think that's tolerant high temp, I'll have to check
the packaging later. I'm not in Europe so running down to the local shop
for a tube of Sach's grease is out of the question. I'll stop by an
automotive parts store and see if they have any high temperature grease.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:09:46 +0000, maxo wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:59:18 +0200, Christian Zickermann wrote:
>
>>>Or is there some other esoteric Sachs lubricant that I should have used?

>> It is strongly recommended to use the original (=expensive) Sachs
>> lubricant for the brake (usual grease has inappropriate thermal
>> properties). I recently cleaned one of those hubs and was lucky to get
>> an almost empty tube of Sachs grease at a local bike shop. The grease
>> still left in the tube was more than enough for my purposes.

> Good to know. I greased it with regular automotive wheel bearing
> grease--but I don't think that's tolerant high temp, I'll have to check
> the packaging later. I'm not in Europe so running down to the local shop
> for a tube of Sach's grease is out of the question. I'll stop by an
> automotive parts store and see if they have any high temperature grease.

checked the packaging and the automotive grease I used is indeed high temp
stuff. :) I just didn't use enough when packing the hub as I was a bit gun
shy.Guess I'll crack it open again and squeeze in some more grease.

Reminds me of the Shimano Nexus brake grease issue. "YOU MUST USE SHIMNANO
ROLLER BRAKE GREASE". Yeah right. 99c stuff from the auto supply house did
the trick just fine--for years and thousands of miles.