Sad News - death on the GVBR

On 2005-12-05, Humbug <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 05/12/05 at 20:20:57 coppershark somehow managed to type:
>

>> Re claim to be the first fatality on the GVBR.
>>
>> 1) At least one competitor has died in his sleep at the overnight camp
>> sites. I trust my source on this one.

> Myrtleford in 199n during the night of the rest day.

The one I remember was at Hamilton, on the first night, back in *thinks*
'95. It was his wish to do the GVBR; he died in his sleep after the
first day.

I know this with utter certainty: I was on that ride, and it was
mentioned in the Cyclists' Morning Herald.o

ObNitPick: it's not "competitor", it's "participant". It's not a race.

coppershark wrote:
> Re claim to be the first fatality on the GVBR.
>
> 1) At least one competitor has died in his sleep at the overnight camp
> sites. I trust my source on this one.

Horsham Showground 1st night 1995 GVBR that began at Mt Arapiles.

> 2) I was told that about fifteen years ago a rider on a road bike
> dropped his wheel through the cracks in a longitudinally planked bridge
> and broke his neck after going over the handlebars. His life support was
> turned off later in hospital.

There was an accident like this on the first few days of the 1994 GVBR from Swan Hill.
The route for the first few days was nearly the same as 2005.
Rider was very badly injured but I can't attest to the broken neck / life support scenario.

On 2005-12-05, Humbug <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 05/12/05 at 20:20:57 coppershark somehow managed to type:
>

>> Re claim to be the first fatality on the GVBR.
>>
>> 1) At least one competitor has died in his sleep at the overnight camp
>> sites. I trust my source on this one.

> Myrtleford in 199n during the night of the rest day.

The one I remember was at Hamilton, on the first night, back in *thinks*
'95. It was his wish to do the GVBR; he died in his sleep after the
first day.

I know this with utter certainty: I was on that ride, and it was
mentioned in the Cyclists' Morning Herald.o

ObNitPick: it's not "competitor", it's "participant". It's not a race.

Hmmm... I vaguely recall an overnight death in Mansfield. I don't remember if it was in the CMH, which is a shame since I was writing it at the time.:confused: Glad someone read it.

There was an on road fatality on a Great Queensland BR (92 or 93) that was run by BV. It was on the last day and the victim died in hospital a few days later. I was doing the CMH on the ride so I was relieved that we didn't have to report it. The cyclist was not signed up for the ride and was not wearing a helmet (pre compulsory helmets). The nurse on the BV medical team who attended the accident scene is now my wife so I could check up on the details of that one.

Coppershark wrote:

> I was told that about fifteen years ago a rider on a road bike
> dropped his wheel through the cracks in a longitudinally planked
> bridge and broke his neck after going over the handlebars. His
> life support was turned off later in hospital.

I saw a prang like this on (thinks hard) the 1988 GVBR. It was the one that went from Bairnsdale to Melb, at any rate. We were walking our bikes across a pick-a-plank bridge when a roadie flew past, made it 3/4 of the way across, and then dropped his front wheel in. He was a mass of gravel-rash, and the bike was totalled. The really amazing thing was the mechanics rebuilt his bike with a new frame and forks that very night, and he rode the next day.

Regards,

Suzy

Flying Echidna wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
> > It's an amazing statistic. Must be about /the/ most safest activity
> > to do.
> >
> > Probably somewhere around 3,000,000 person-hours too...
> >

> Everything is safer than rock fishing...

Except Russian Roulette, but it's a close second.

>> TimC wrote:
>>
>>> It's an amazing statistic. Must be about /the/ most safest activity
>>> to do.
>>>
>>> Probably somewhere around 3,000,000 person-hours too...

Statistics, statistics. In Perth there are about a million cars, one person
dies in a road incident every second day. The average car does 12,000 kms
per year, 33kms per day. So that would give you 66 million kms between
deaths. Not that good after all, is it?

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Statistics, statistics. In Perth there are about a million cars, one
> person dies in a road incident every second day. The average car does
> 12,000 kms per year, 33kms per day. So that would give you 66 million kms
> between deaths. Not that good after all, is it?
>
> Theo

With an average speed of 40kph that works out at 1,650,000 driving hours
between fatalities, so actually, yeah it looks pretty good. Nearly twice as
good as driving, actually. Where are those figures from, by the way?

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Statistics, statistics. In Perth there are about a million cars, one
>> person dies in a road incident every second day. The average car does
>> 12,000 kms per year, 33kms per day. So that would give you 66 million kms
>> between deaths. Not that good after all, is it?
>>
>> Theo
>>

> With an average speed of 40kph that works out at 1,650,000 driving hours
> between fatalities, so actually, yeah it looks pretty good. Nearly twice
> as good as driving, actually. Where are those figures from, by the way?

The original stats were mine: 21 years x 3500 riders x 570km per ride = many
km's.

Average speed of riders = approx 22kph if u want a ride time figure.

Paul
Giant ATX 840

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Statistics, statistics. In Perth there are about a million cars, one
>>> person dies in a road incident every second day. The average car does
>>> 12,000 kms per year, 33kms per day. So that would give you 66 million
>>> kms between deaths. Not that good after all, is it?
>>>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> With an average speed of 40kph that works out at 1,650,000 driving hours
>> between fatalities, so actually, yeah it looks pretty good. Nearly twice
>> as good as driving, actually. Where are those figures from, by the way?

> The original stats were mine: 21 years x 3500 riders x 570km per ride =
> many km's.
>
> Average speed of riders = approx 22kph if u want a ride time figure.
>
> Paul
> Giant ATX 840

I meant the million cars,avg 12000km/annum figures. I was being generous
with the 40kph average speed.