Sad, sad story...

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) they're kings of a world which is their personal
oyster, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Delightful mixed metaphor.

<[email protected]> wrote:
(clip)
Consider this scenario:

> A Prius driver (could be other cars too of course) is driving alone in
> the carpool lane on I-580 near San Jose. Traffic bogs down and they
> find themselves stopped next to an H3 in a normal lane also with a
> lone driver. (clip)

Later the same driver is stopped next to a Multivan also with one
> driver. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he is probably thinking is, "My engine is off. Those around me are
running. I'm not wasting gas, wearing my engine or creating fumes. I guess
I have a right to be a little smug."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> On Oct 25, 5:31 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>>
>> Just because a car is designed to flip pedestrians into
>> the windshield or over the roof instead of mowing them down,
>> doesn't mean it's "safe". I know I don't wanna be flipped
>> into a windshield again.

> It's easy to argue that _no_ car is "safe." You just have to choose
> your definition of "safe" to fit your preconceptions.

Any car is safe, so long as it's parked.

Lemme put it this way -- I opine that high-performance cars
are more dangerous than SUV slugs, because there's a greater
temptation to their drivers to operate them in a dangerous
manner which exceeds any "saftey" features (read: obviated
harm) designed into them.

> But it's hard to argue that an SUV is as safe as, say, a Honda with
> regard to pedestrian harm. (Or is _should_ be hard to argue that. I
> guess on Usenet, it's easy to argue anything.)

It might be interesting to have hard numbers about pedestrians
killed/injured by respective vehicle types.

> The tall, squarish fronts of SUVs do a lot more damage to pedestrians
> than sloping hoods of ordinary cars.

Even getting hit by a 1.5 ton "ordinary car" is not a pillow fight.

An A-bomb ain't as bad as an H-bomb either. But neither
is a picnic in the park.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

In article <[email protected]>,
"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) they're kings of a world which is their personal
> oyster, (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Delightful mixed metaphor.

Yeah, I rather enjoy a good malapropism or mondegreen, too.

Speaking of mondegreens, my all-time favourite was when
The Rolling Stones had just released their Some Girls
album. A caller with a prepubescent, lispy, little-girl
voice on the local radio request line asked for the "I
Don't Want to be Your Pizza Burnin'" song to be played.
She was of course referring to the song: "Beast of Burden".

cheers,
Tom

--
"More spuds in Idaho"
-- Neil Jung

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>> On Oct 25, 5:31 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>>> Just because a car is designed to flip pedestrians into
>>> the windshield or over the roof instead of mowing them down,
>>> doesn't mean it's "safe". I know I don't wanna be flipped
>>> into a windshield again.

>> It's easy to argue that _no_ car is "safe." You just have to choose
>> your definition of "safe" to fit your preconceptions.

> Any car is safe, so long as it's parked.
>
> Lemme put it this way -- I opine that high-performance cars
> are more dangerous than SUV slugs, because there's a greater
> temptation to their drivers to operate them in a dangerous
> manner which exceeds any "saftey" features (read: obviated
> harm) designed into them....

Around here it is the SUV drivers that are the worst offenders at
aggressively tailgating, passing to the right in the curb bus/parking
lane, running red lights, turning right on red without yielding to
pedestrians in the sidewalk, driving too fast in the rain and snow, etc.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip)my all-time favourite was (clip)"I
> Don't Want to be Your Pizza Burnin'" (clip)

Additional candidates:
"Our Father, Harold be thy name."
"Lead us not into Penn Station."

Jonathan said:
But please don't read too much into the statement about tire marks, as skid marks no longer are a determinant of braking in almost all situations due to the prevalence of anti-lock braking systems on the majority of newer vehicles. This almost always eliminates skid marks because the wheels no longer skid.

Don't really know about that, last time I've checked the ABS wasn't quite up to the job of completely preventing lock-up, it merely did a good job of interrupting it as soon as lock-up had occurred. Instead of one long streak you get a dotted line instead.