Sad scene

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Nowhere near as intimidating as cars.
> >

> Bollocks. Many of these groups maliciously go out of their way to
intimidate
> others.
>
> Christ, some people will go out of their way to use -*anything* to whinge about <insert transport
> mode here> ....

Some people prefer to worry about minimal threats rather than worry about the very real
genuine ones.

What you are saying is you don't like these people not that you are in any real danger from them.

Frank wrote:
> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>> Nowhere near as intimidating as cars.
>>>

>> Bollocks. Many of these groups maliciously go out of their way to intimidate others.
>>
>> Christ, some people will go out of their way to use -*anything* to whinge about <insert transport
>> mode here> ....
>>

> Some people prefer to worry about minimal threats rather than worry about the very real
> genuine ones.
>
> What you are saying is you don't like these people not that you are in any real danger from them.

I suppose it depends where you live. I have lived/been in plenty of areas where the threat from
youths on the street is very real. I've been hit for no reason. I have relatives who have been
mugged. It's nothing to do with not liking people - the danger is very real, at least as real as
that from cars.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I suppose it depends where you live. I have lived/been in plenty of areas where the threat from
> youths on the street is very real. I've been hit
for
> no reason. I have relatives who have been mugged. It's nothing to do
with
> not liking people - the danger is very real, at least as real as that from cars.
> --

Well I don't know where you have lived , but I have lived in some of the dodgiest estates in
London, including the North Peckaham where Damilola Taylor died. We all know if he had been killed
by a car it would have been lucky to make the local paper, this is why peoples risk perception is
totally skewed.

You've had relatives who were mugged, were they hospitalised? I had relatives killed by cars
(admittedly they were driving). My best friend as a kid was killed by a car, I have been
hospitalised after colliding with a car.

I've never been attacked by kids on a street corner (well not since I was a kid too).

The point is the danger is that great, I was never been attacked.

I hve never

Frank wrote:
> You've had relatives who were mugged, were they hospitalised?

Yes.

> I've never been attacked by kids on a street corner (well not since I was a kid too).
>
> The point is the danger is that great, I was never been attacked.

> I hve never

Perhaps you're bigger than me and my relatives.

I've never cycled in London. I guess I might be intimidated by the traffic there. Wherever I've
cycled this doesn't apply.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank wrote:
> > You've had relatives who were mugged, were they hospitalised?
>
> Yes.
>

> > I've never been attacked by kids on a street corner (well not since I was a kid too).
> >
> > The point is the danger is that great, I was never been attacked.
>
> > I hve never
>
> Perhaps you're bigger than me and my relatives.
>
> I've never cycled in London. I guess I might be intimidated by the
traffic
> there. Wherever I've cycled this doesn't apply.
> --
> Michael MacClancy

Some good points. Where I live (Bedford), kids on streets are intimadating, and go out of their way
to be so. Car drivers aren't. There is a problem with boy racers, who aren't as intimidating as the
street gangs. There is also a big problem with pavement cyclists (about 80% of all cyclists) - more
also more intimidating than cars. However the sensible and civil kids, drivers and cyclists pose no
threat whatsoever.

Note that "where I live" is where I've lived most my life, and where I live during holidays from
Uni. At Coventry, (where my Uni is - yes the University of Warwick is on the outskirts of Coventry)
none of these are a problem. Drivers even wait for pedestrians to get to a pelican crossing on
flashing amber.

It's the tarring of everyone with the same brush that irritates me, and the refusal of some to see
the faults of themselves and others like them.

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some good points. Where I live (Bedford), kids on streets are
intimadating,
> and go out of their way to be so. Car drivers aren't. There is a problem with boy racers, who
> aren't as intimidating as the street gangs. There is also a big problem with pavement cyclists
> (about 80% of all cyclists) -
more
> also more intimidating than cars. However the sensible and civil kids, drivers and cyclists pose
> no threat whatsoever.

Now I can't control what you find intimidating, many find dominating women in short skirts
intimidating, you probably fall into this category.

However I think before we accuse something of being intimidating we should consider the risk posed.
Do you have the figures for people killed by kids on street corners in Bedford as opposed to those
killed by cars. Possibly you have the figures for those killed or injured by pavement cyclists?

I'll bet sensible drivers have killed a few over the last year. Lets remember sensible drivers pose
no threat whatsoever?

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Some good points. Where I live (Bedford), kids on streets are
> intimadating,
> > and go out of their way to be so. Car drivers aren't. There is a problem with boy racers, who
> > aren't as intimidating as the street gangs. There
is
> > also a big problem with pavement cyclists (about 80% of all cyclists) -
> more
> > also more intimidating than cars. However the sensible and civil kids, drivers and cyclists pose
> > no threat whatsoever.
> >
> Now I can't control what you find intimidating,

Indeed - just as I (or anyone else) can't control what you (or anyone else) finds intimidating.

>many find dominating women in short skirts intimidating, you probably fall into this category.

Remind me, who was it who posted

"Nowhere near as intimidating as cars."?

Incidentally, I merely pointed out that many such street gangs go out of their way to intimidate.
The vast majority of car drivers do not (though some may do inadvertantly - idealily these people
would be better trained or not driving). I never said I found street gangs intimidating - merely
that I find them more intimidating than cars.

> However I think before we accuse something of being intimidating we should consider the risk
> posed. Do you have the figures for people killed by kids on street corners in Bedford as opposed
> to those killed by cars.

Not specifically for Bedford.

As you you want to compared street crime to pedestrians KSIed in RTAs then you shouldn't limit the
street crime to jst where the victim was deliberately killed (i.e. murder); rapes, thefts, robberies
and assaults should be included - just as all physical suffering (though not necessarily emotional)
of pedestrians caused by motorists is accounted for by killed/injured stats.. All I can think of is
being killed or injured.

Anyway

In England and Wales in 2000, there were 497,236 incidents of Rape, Robbery, Homicide and acts of
endangering life, and less serious wounding[1] . Not all of these people were on the street, but I
don't have any better stats to go on.

Let's assume that just 10% of these crimes happened on the street. A conservative estimate, IMV.
That's gives us a figure of 49,236.

>Possibly you have the figures for those killed or injured by pavement cyclists?

For Bedford, no.

I note that you wish to compare those killed by street thugs, to those KSIed by motorists.
How balenced.

Nationally (England, Scotland, Wales & NI), there were 906 pedestrian deaths in road accidents,
9,575 seriously injured and 34,405 slightly injured, in
1998[2]. Not all of these were caused by (or necessarily even involved) motor vehicles, but as I
have no better stats, we'll say they are for the sake of argument.

That leaves a figure of 44,886 pedestrians killed or injured on Great Britain and Northern Irelands
roads in 1998. That's 4350 less than 10% of crimes involving violence against the person in England
and Wales alone in 2000.

> I'll bet sensible drivers have killed a few over the last year. Lets remember sensible drivers
> pose no threat whatsoever?

Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing (from playing Russian Roulette to baking a scone) poses no
threat whatsoever. If you're scared of any risk, there's no hope for you. A wiser man than me once
said, as part of a rather longer poem "To live is to risk dying".

The problem arises is where people risk others for no good reason; i.e. speeders, pavement cyclists
and so on.

Not that any of that has anything to do with intimidation.

The fact is, people should not have to take the chance that any particular speeder, street gang,
pavement cyclist etc. is a "risky" one (and always unnecessarily so) who goes on to kill/injure
someone. All are unnecessary, all are illegal, all for good reason and all should be dealt with
accordingly.

---------------

[1999]http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm53/5312/crimestats .pdf

[2000]http://www.transtat.dft.gov.uk/roadsafe/

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Now I can't control what you find intimidating,
>
> Indeed - just as I (or anyone else) can't control what you (or anyone
else)
> finds intimidating.
>
> >many find dominating women in short skirts intimidating, you probably fall into this category.
> >

> Remind me, who was it who posted
>
> "Nowhere near as intimidating as cars."?

Yes cars are likely to hurt me drive to close to me pull out in front of me, there is a constant
threat, I used the example of women in short skirts to show how people use the word differently.

Now your next argument of generalising all crime to kids on street corners is bizzare nonsense. Kids
on street corners are mouthy and rude, but that doesn't make them murders and rapists. You might
well be scared to have an asian living next to you because he is a member of Al Qaeda .This is
exactly the predjudice I was complaining about, they behave differently from how you would like and
suddenly they are saddled with the crimes of drug addicts and career criminals, but really they are
just normal kids.

The reason people don't let kids out to play is because the roads are so dangerous, kids aren't
always careful and most motorist seem to think it is fair game to drive down residential streets in
excess of 30mph, which is killing and maiming speed. This is where the thread started a kid killed
or maimed.

> I note that you wish to compare those killed by street thugs, to those
KSIed
> by motorists. How balenced. No I wanted to compare those killed by kids on street corners,
> I didn't
say they were thugs. But yes it does seem to be a sensible way of looking to see who I should be
intimidated by.

Everyday I go out on my bike and I'm scared as a car overtakes too close or pulls out in front of
me, occassionally too I see kids who yell things like "your wheels are going round", I know what I'm
scared of.

When I was a kid I did play out on street corners sometimes we were naughty, we never seriously hurt
anyone, but now I don't feel I can let my kid play out past my cul-de-sac, not because I'm scared of
him being attacked by street gangs, and lets face kids are the ones most at risk from other kids,
but because I'm scared of him being run over, by a sensible driver who drives at the standard 35-40
down the residential road at the end of our cul-de-sac.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Now I can't control what you find intimidating,
> >
> > Indeed - just as I (or anyone else) can't control what you (or anyone
> else)
> > finds intimidating.
> >
> > >many find dominating women in short skirts intimidating, you probably fall into this category.
> > >

> > Remind me, who was it who posted
> >
> > "Nowhere near as intimidating as cars."?
> >
> Yes cars are likely to hurt me drive to close to me pull out in front of
me,
> there is a constant threat,

Fair enough, (assuming you're complying wholely with the HC and Traffic Laws - if you aren't the
main threat to you is yourself.)

> I used the example of women in short skirts to show how people use the word differently.

Again, fair enough.

> Now your next argument of generalising all crime to kids on street corners is bizzare nonsense.

My generalisation was that 10% of all crimes against the person as detailed in the link I posted
were street crimes - yes I accept that not all of these would have been by street gangs.

>Kids on street corners are mouthy and rude, but that doesn't make them murders and rapists.

No, but a fair few are.

> You might well be scared to have an asian living next to you because he is a member of Al Qaeda .

Err, no. I wouldn't live in Bedford is I was!

>This is exactly the predjudice I was complaining about, they behave differently from how
you
> would like and suddenly they are saddled with the crimes of drug addicts
and
> career criminals, but really they are just normal kids.

It's also the exact prejudice I was complaining about - though I was complaining about people always
claiming the car and motorists are always wrong, always evil and always at fault.

> The reason people don't let kids out to play is because the roads are so dangerous, kids aren't
> always careful and most motorist seem to think it
is
> fair game to drive down residential streets in excess of 30mph, which is killing and maiming
> speed. This is where the thread started a kid killed
or
> maimed.

Now, alot of this seems to be about where you live. Perhaps where you live you don't have a problem
with street gangs of kids - neither does Bedford have a speeding problem.

> > I note that you wish to compare those killed by street thugs, to those
> KSIed
> > by motorists. How balenced. No I wanted to compare those killed by kids on street corners, I
> > didn't
> say they were thugs. But yes it does seem to be a sensible way of looking to see who I should be
> intimidated by.

My point was comparing killed with KSI. Surely to be fair you'd count murders (& attempted),
manslaughters and GBH to KSI?

> Everyday I go out on my bike and I'm scared as a car overtakes too close
or
> pulls out in front of me, occassionally too I see kids who yell things
like
> "your wheels are going round", I know what I'm scared of.

But would would you be scared if the car overtook appropriately, or gave you more room when pulling
out - and if the street gang was drunk, showing off knives etc.?

You can make anything scarier than anything if you word it right.

> When I was a kid I did play out on street corners sometimes we were
naughty,
> we never seriously hurt anyone,

You do realise that "we never seriously hurt anyone" implies you did hurt someone?

>but now I don't feel I can let my kid play out past my cul-de-sac, not because I'm scared of him
>being attacked by street gangs, but because I'm scared of him being run over, by a sensible driver
>who drives at the standard 35-40 down the residential road at the end of our cul-de-sac.

i) People who driver at 35-40 in a residential area are not sensible.
ii) How old is your kid? Is he old enough to learn road safety, and knows not to run into the road,
and use the green cross code and so on?

Lastly, if you find cars so intimdating, why do you cycle? dictionary.com has "Intimidation"
defined as:

1)To make timid; fill with fear.
2)To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.

If you're not scared or inhibited by the threat from cars, you're not intimidated, and the car is
not intimidating. If you are made timid, filled with fear etc - then why do you cycle?

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>.

> The reason people don't let kids out to play is because the roads are so dangerous, kids aren't
> always careful and most motorist seem to think it
is
> fair game to drive down residential streets in excess of 30mph, which is killing and maiming
> speed. This is where the thread started a kid killed
or
> maimed.

<snip>

> When I was a kid I did play out on street corners sometimes we were
naughty,
> we never seriously hurt anyone, but now I don't feel I can let my kid play out past my cul-de-sac,
> not because I'm scared of him being attacked by street gangs, and lets face kids are the ones most
> at risk from other
kids,
> but because I'm scared of him being run over, by a sensible driver who drives at the standard
> 35-40 down the residential road at the end of our cul-de-sac.

Yes, exactly. Just as a footnote to my original posting, as it turns out it wasn't one of my 'yoofs'
involved, but a nine year old girl killed by white van man travelling at excessive speed along a
quiet residential street - the flowers and the skid marks are still there...
http://www.islingtonexpress.co.uk/archived/2003/0221/news/asp/p1news1.asp

Rich

Richard Goodman wrote:

> http://www.islingtonexpress.co.uk/archived/2003/0221/news/asp/p1news1.asp

Definitely a case where "in collision with a van" should be replaced by "was hit by a van"

--
Guy
===