Sad scene

Richard Goodman

Guest
Today on my route home through Islington's side streets, a road off to the side was blocked off with
police tape and a police car parked across the intersection. The accident investigation team was
there, taking pictures -a bmx bike lay on its side across the middle of the road and another bike
was abandoned at the side. Undoubtedly a serious, very likely fatal, collision had taken place
involving at least one of these cyclists and a passing motor vehicle.

Quite often, passing that intersection on the way home, I've encountered a small group of teenagers
larking about on their bikes. Usually I've thought of them as a bit of a nuisance, using the road as
a playground, liable to turn in circles or swerve suddenly and unpredictably rather than cycling in
any purposeful manner. Of course, even in the evening they have no lights and no reflective
clothing. But, these are relatively quiet side streets. It saddens me now, though, to think it
possible if not likely someone from this group was involved in this incident. In any event, some
family must surely be grieving tonight, and I somehow doubt that group will be larking about in the
road again in quite the same way anytime soon.

Of course, larking about in the road is foolishness. Maybe whoever was involved in this wasn't
actually larking about at the time. Whatever, it is a very great pity that in what should be quiet
residential streets, kids simply can't be kids once they venture onto the road. My own home is in a
20mph zone, with 'junction treatment' and speed bumps all the way down, it's narrower than the
street where the accident happened - and probably busier - and still some drivers drive down it at
reckless speeds. How sad it is that when (some) people get behind the wheel, they seem to leave
behind all sense of care or concern for other human beings - particularly those without another
fume-emitting tin box around them to protect them in the event of a collision. I just wonder what it
will take to make them _want_ to drive in residential areas at a speed and in a manner that is
appropriate for residential areas - that is considerate of the needs of children, cyclists, the
elderly etc.?

Rich

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Of course, larking about in the road is foolishness. Maybe whoever was involved in this wasn't
> actually larking about at the time. Whatever, it is a very great pity that in what should be quiet
> residential streets, kids simply can't be kids once they venture onto the road.

Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all the time?

In my day kids would go to each others houses and play space invaders/listen to records and stuff
like that.

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all the time?

Why shouldn't they?

Richard wrote:

> Adrian Boliston wrote:
>
> > Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all the time?
>
> Why shouldn't they?

No problem until other issues arise. At lowest level, many of these groups can be very intimidating.

John B

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:28:08 -0000, Adrian Boliston scrawled: ) Why do kids these days feel the need
to "hang out" on street corners all the time? ) ) In my day kids would go to each others houses and
play space ) invaders/listen to records and stuff like that.

Doubtless your social group did, and hence you didn't notice the kids that were hanging out on
street corners back then. Just to take an example, when the mods had all those there coffee houses
and juke-boxes to hang around, some of them still found time to stand on street corners picking
fights with rockers. And look what happened to Pete Townshend.

I used to think kids hung around on the streets much /less/ than they used to, because there are so
few in central Oxford compared to students (although, gosh, they look like kids nowadays). Then my
girlfriend moved above a row of shops, and there's a gang of (relatively harmless) 14-year-olds
outside almost every night. So it just depends on where you live, and when.

J-P
--
"When I grow up, I want to be an honest lawyer so things like that can't happen." -- Richard M.
Nixon, Former U.S. President (while still young, on 'Teapot Dome' scandal)

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all
the time?

I don't think hanging around on street corners is the problem, it's more likely a lack of common
sense combined with the urge to show how many one-wheel hops you can do in between 2 passing cars
(or something like that).

I grew up on the busy A6 through Leicester, and road sense and awareness was drilled into me at an
extremely early age. Perhaps that is what is lacking these days?

Steve ;)

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Of course, larking about in the road is foolishness. Maybe whoever was involved in this wasn't
> > actually larking about at the time. Whatever,
it is
> > a very great pity that in what should be quiet residential streets, kids simply can't be kids
> > once they venture onto the road.
>
> Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all
the time?

> In my day kids would go to each others houses and play space
invaders/listen to
> records and stuff like that.

Sad geek kid. I too did the above, but I too was a sad geek kid.

On occaisions we did used to hang about on street corner. Its nothing new. Perhaps kids are given
more freedom to do what they like.

In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> writes

>"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Of course, larking about in the road is foolishness. Maybe whoever was involved in this wasn't
>> > actually larking about at the time. Whatever,
>it is
>> > a very great pity that in what should be quiet residential streets, kids simply can't be kids
>> > once they venture onto the road.
>>
>> Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all
>the time?
>>
>> In my day kids would go to each others houses and play space
>invaders/listen to
>> records and stuff like that.
>
>Sad geek kid. I too did the above, but I too was a sad geek kid.
>
>On occaisions we did used to hang about on street corner. Its nothing new. Perhaps kids are given
>more freedom to do what they like.

Forgive me, but wasn't Adrian's post tongue in cheek?
--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes

>>> Sad geek kid. I too did the above, but I too was a sad geek kid.
>>>
>>> On occaisions we did used to hang about on street corner. Its nothing new. Perhaps kids are
>>> given more freedom to do what they like.
>>>
>> Forgive me, but wasn't Adrian's post tongue in cheek?
>
>I thought he must have been a sad geek kid, too. But, there again, I haven't yet managed to
>penetrate what passes for humour round here ;-). I think people tend to read plain text for what it
>is. Adrian didn't post a smiley so why should anyone not take him literally?

Good God, man -- because one is British, of course
--
The Big Baguette

The Big Baguette wrote:
> Good God, man -- because one is British, of course

Is one?
--
Michael MacClancy

In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>The Big Baguette wrote:
>> Good God, man -- because one is British, of course
>
>Is one?
>--
>Michael MacClancy

One certainly is. Possibly the only thing God and I have in common
--
The Big Baguette

The Big Baguette wrote:

> >> Good God, man -- because one is British, of course
> >
> >Is one?

> One certainly is. Possibly the only thing God and I have in common

Excuse me, but God is a Yorkshireman, not just a Britain, and bats for England. (It's just a pity
that the Devil sits on the board of selectors.)

Now, to remain on topic, what would Jesus ride?

In article <[email protected]>, Richard <[email protected]> writes

>> >Is one?
>
>> One certainly is. Possibly the only thing God and I have in common
>
>Excuse me, but God is a Yorkshireman, not just a Britain, and bats for England. (It's just a pity
>that the Devil sits on the board of selectors.)
>
>Now, to remain on topic, what would Jesus ride?

I suppose something from Halfords would be the nearest thing to a two- wheeled donkey
--
The Big Baguette

Richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> > One certainly is. Possibly the only thing God and I have in common
>
> Excuse me, but God is a Yorkshireman, not just a Britain,

If god is a Yorkshireman what is he doing leaving his own wonderful country of Wales?

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Richard wrote:
>
> > Adrian Boliston wrote:
> >
> > > Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners
all the time?

> > Why shouldn't they?
>
> No problem until other issues arise. At lowest level, many of these groups
can be very
> intimidating.

Nowhere near as intimidating as cars.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Richard wrote:

> all the time?
> > >
> > > Why shouldn't they?
> >
> > No problem until other issues arise. At lowest level, many of these
groups
> can be very
> > intimidating.
> >
> Nowhere near as intimidating as cars.

Bollocks. Many of these groups maliciously go out of their way to intimidate others.

Christ, some people will go out of their way to use -*anything* to whinge about <insert transport
mode here> ....

In news:[email protected], Richard <[email protected]> typed:
> Adrian Boliston wrote:
>
>> Why do kids these days feel the need to "hang out" on street corners all the time?
>
> Why shouldn't they?

when I were a lad me and my mates used to hang out on street corners as well; but if we *were*
larking about in the road in a dangerous manner or frightening old grannies, soon enough you'd see a
black bike appear and PC Stratton would either be wheeling or riding it.

He'd warn us about this practice (more "friendly uncle" than "do that again and your nicked!") - and
we'd end up being dispersed to somewhere with less traffic or a park (he made sure those of us on
bikes *didn't* ride them on the pavement!).

He seemed also to know *every* street corner where young scallies would hang out as well ;)

Perhaps if there were more "friendly local bobbies" like him these sort of RTCs wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately this is London, so I guess that even if there *was* a friendly local bobby they are
probably dealing with stuff like investigating why someone was slumped in the street with gunshot
wounds, checking out that half-derelict flat which is being used a a crackhouse, or rushing to the
house next door where the couple slap each other about like Punch and Judy, so the next generations'
road safety doesn't get a look in :(

Alex

Nathaniel Porter wrote:

>>> No problem until other issues arise. At lowest level, many of these groups can be very
>>> intimidating.
>>>
>> Nowhere near as intimidating as cars.
>>

> Bollocks. Many of these groups maliciously go out of their way to intimidate others.
>
> Christ, some people will go out of their way to use -*anything* to whinge about <insert transport
> mode here> ....

Bullbars, custom exhusts, extra lights in an urban area?

What are they for?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK