Saddle Adjustments

wrightwrjr

Sep 19, 2014
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and relatively new to cycling. I have a Cannondale CAAD8 Road Bike and a Trek 3500 Mountain Bike. As I said I am rather new to all of this, but I have already learned one very important thing and it will be my rant for the day. There are too many general statements made about saddle adjustments referring to height, tilt, fore and aft etc., etc., etc. Usually it is something like ensuring your leg is completely straight when your heel is on the pedal at the 6 o'clock position, make sure your feet cannot touch the ground while sitting on your bike, if you have pain in the areas no one wants pain in try moving your saddle further back or further up, the 109% method,
devil.png
The Lemans method,
confused.png
The Holmes method
sick.png
blah, blah, blah. But, here's what this old boy has figured out and it didn't take me long. Put the damned saddle where it provides the most comfort, and the most power for YOU and YOU ALONE. I tried all the above mentioned methods and my seat wasn't right. It was WAY HIGH using the 109% trick and the Holmes method may as well be a Chinese crossword puzzle because of how confusing it is. I ride on Adamo Typhoon saddles on both of my bikes and what I had to do was just keep tweaking and tweaking until I got them right for me. And what is right for me matches nothing I mentioned above. My advice? Do like I did and ignore what everyone tries to tell you and adjust, adjust, adjust until your ride feels right. Bike riding should not be a miserable experience, it should be comfortable and enjoyable. Again, it is good to be here and I hope to learn a lot about cycling from you guys.
big-smile.png

These folks can usually tell you which way is best, but since we're not all the same, you may have to play with it some.

I was having a lot of trouble trying to find the right seat and get it properly adjusted and just could not get it right. When I took my bike in for a tune-up they helped me adjust it properly. Finally I could ride without pain an discomfort! A good bike shop is a really good thing to have!!