Saddle advice for someone who is overweight

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by spiral, Jun 9, 2004.

1. spiral

spiral New Member

My girlfriend is getting really frustrated since we have been riding more, her backside is hurting ALOT. She has a Terry Ti Liberator Woman's saddle which has gotten good reviews but i think she needs something different while she gets back into shape.

Before we drop a bunch of cash on trying random saddles could you make some suggestions on what to look for in a saddle, given the circumstances, and possible bad-fit red flags on her bike? She has a Gary Fisher moutain bike which has her sitting in a nearly upright position. Will a wider saddle help?

I'm worried she may be hurting herself and want to keep my riding partner! Thanks so much.

Tags:

2. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

I'm 227lbs, and my Brooks B17 is fantastic.

3. spiral

spiral New Member

Thanks. I'll look into it.

I should also mention that i also got the Terry saddle (men's version) because she claimed to like it (before we really started riding) but i hated it. I just got a Koobi Au Chrono and it is infianately better for me. I guess my point is, for all the praise heaped on the Terry Liberator, i couldn't believe how bad a fit it was for me.

Anyhow, keep the suggestions coming! Thanks.

4. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

Used to have a mens liberator, it didn't do a lot for me compared to the B17. I think they key to the B17 is that it's hard and slidey!

None of your spongey, fall into the seat and stay stickily in the one position nonsense!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5. madmike

madmike New Member

First of all is the saddle properly adjusted?

How long has it been since she been riding again regularly. It can take a couple weeks for your body to adjust to a new saddle. As an example I switched mikelast summer and my rear hadn't been that sore in years. After a week or two I adjusted and now have no problem with the new one. If it hasn't been that long try sticking with it, provided the saddleis adjusted correctly.

As for fitting a saddle you want to match the width of the saddle to the pelvis bones. This is why womens seats are a little wider.

here is a good article that might help: Bicycle Saddles

hope it helps.

6. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

How about a custom made saddle fron Fi'zi:k. http://www.fizik.it/Shop_Customize.aspx

I was impressed by the price and delivery speed... the saddle is great too.

Their CP3 range (CP=Comfort Performance) is good for heavier riders.

7. txbuckeye

txbuckeye New Member

Just an idea. Everyone is different when it comes to saddles. What works for one might be torture to another. Try checking the bargain bins at local bike shops and try different saddles at a very discounted price. Once you find a shape that fits best then you can spring for a more expensive saddle that fits that criteria.