Saddle Advice

MKD

Feb 5, 2007
I'm pretty new to cycling. I am riding a Specialized Roubaix w/ a Specialize Avatar 143 saddle. I've been getting a lot of numbness on my long rides. Any suggestions on a saddle that will help prevent this numbness from happening?

MKD said:
I'm pretty new to cycling. I am riding a Specialized Roubaix w/ a Specialize Avatar 143 saddle. I've been getting a lot of numbness on my long rides. Any suggestions on a saddle that will help prevent this numbness from happening?

This is tough to really help you through a forum. Don't give up on the saddle just yet. Try this; Make sure you are fitted properly. Pay for it if you can. If not, start with a level saddle or very slightly forward sloping. I've found a good place to start with saddle height is 88% to 90% of your inseam in cm. Height is from bottom bracket center to top of saddle along seat tube.
Fore and aft position is determined by a number of measurements, for now ride with your hands on the brake hoods and the handlebar should obscure the front hub or be slightly in front of it. These are just starting suggestions.
There are many factors in bike fit. There are some online fit calculators that can help if you want to fit yourself, then tweak it.

Yup, fit most likely the issue. A $200 poorly fitting saddle will be painful, whereas a $50 saddle properly fitted fore n' aft, the proper level plane and height will be comfy for 100 plus miles.

capwater said:
Yup, fit most likely the issue. A $200 poorly fitting saddle will be painful, whereas a $50 saddle properly fitted fore n' aft, the proper level plane and height will be comfy for 100 plus miles.
+2 for fit (saddle positioning) being the most important thing. There's really very little magic in the saddle itself (or if there is, I haven't found it yet).

Every different saddle I've ridden takes careful adjustment and some fine-tuning of fore/aft and tilt before the weight is properly supported by the sitzbones at the right spot on the saddle. Different shapes hit the backside in a slightly different way which takes me a bit of time, perhaps several weeks or a few hundred miles, to get used to.

MKD said:
If your a tight **** like me and dont wanna pay to be set up, try takeing an alen key when you go training. Wait till you start to get numb , and then start adjusting. When you get it right youll know.

Some tips

If your sliding back of the rear, tilt it foward

If your private parts are getting numb tilt it back

If your streaching too far to reach the bars , slide it foward

Everyone is different, we all have different shaped arses so remember whats right for me will be wrong for you, dont give up, soreness can give you serious problems.

Insaneclimber said:
If your a tight **** like me and dont wanna pay to be set up, try takeing an alen key when you go training. Wait till you start to get numb , and then start adjusting. When you get it right youll know.

Some tips

If your sliding back of the rear, tilt it foward

If your private parts are getting numb tilt it back

If your streaching too far to reach the bars , slide it foward

Everyone is different, we all have different shaped arses so remember whats right for me will be wrong for you, dont give up, soreness can give you serious problems.

I don't know about this. The fore and aft is determined by upper and lower leg length. Stem length comes next to place you properly. The fore and aft greatly affects the muscles used and the power transfer to the cranks and I think it should be nearly a fixed position based on the geometry of the bike and the intended use of the rider. I may be way off.

Mish said:
I don't know about this. The fore and aft is determined by upper and lower leg length. Stem length comes next to place you properly. The fore and aft greatly affects the muscles used and the power transfer to the cranks and I think it should be nearly a fixed position based on the geometry of the bike and the intended use of the rider. I may be way off.
Lol i love the way you make it sound like your not sure so as to not start an argument. Of course your exactly right, and anyone who did vector mechanics at school will know this. But more inportantly small changes dont make that much differance and getting rid of numbness is a major prioriety.

Speaking of numbness, I only seem to have a problem when I'm working hard and using the drops. If I'm taking it easy, hand on the hoods, I can sit on the bike for hours, no numbness, no problem. However, I've noticed that when I'm working hard, pulse > 170 (90% of max), after a while > 10 minutes, the old fella gets quite numb. This also happens to coincide with using the drops, so I assume it has more to do with the position rather than the increased heart rate.
I've had a similar experience when using aero bars, although it seems more likely to happen when working hard on the aeros, than when taking it easy on the aeros.
Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience.
I’m assuming that adjusting seat position may fix this, whether that adjusting the angle or moving it forward. Any recommendations?
FYI, I have the stock standard seat that came with my Felt F70, 2005 model.

MKD said:

I just got this saddle a week or so ago. I've tweaked it so the rails are slightly leaning back but the saddle is level. This seemed to take the pressure off the crown jewels. Incidently, since you're new to the bike, what do you consider your "long rides"?

peterlip said:
Speaking of numbness, I only seem to have a problem when I'm working hard and using the drops. If I'm taking it easy, hand on the hoods, I can sit on the bike for hours, no numbness, no problem. However, I've noticed that when I'm working hard, pulse > 170 (90% of max), after a while > 10 minutes, the old fella gets quite numb. This also happens to coincide with using the drops, so I assume it has more to do with the position rather than the increased heart rate.
I've had a similar experience when using aero bars, although it seems more likely to happen when working hard on the aeros, than when taking it easy on the aeros.
Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience.
I’m assuming that adjusting seat position may fix this, whether that adjusting the angle or moving it forward. Any recommendations?
FYI, I have the stock standard seat that came with my Felt F70, 2005 model.
Yes, I've experienced numbness in the drops as well, corrected by tilting the nose of the saddle down a few degrees. Dead level is a good starting point. If your saddle has an old-style kickup tail, try setting it so the front section is level. Then, just make small adjustments until the numbness goes away. If you overdo it, you'll know because you'll be sliding forward when you sit up.

Assume your saddle height and fore/aft is correct, so that your sitzbones are hitting the wide spot on the saddle where they should be for support. If not, you'll need to correct that first. It may take several adjustments over a few rides to get it right.

I tried the Avatar a year or so ago (correct size) and hated it. The concept seems logical but it sure didn't work for me. From what I have read, I am not the only one who didn't like the Specialized saddles.

For what it is worth, I have given saddles extended periods of time for "break in, geting used to it, fine tuning position, etc." and it never seems to make any difference. For me, I can tell in a very short time if a saddle fits me correctly. If not, it is best to move on. I now use a Fizik Arione but that doesn't mean it would work for you.

Just did a 100km mtb race on a WTB Devo Team and its one of the comfiest things I have set my ass on. It needs to be set up just right though. Too low and its horrible. Its light too, sub 200g.

Go back to your bike shop and get a proper fitting. It can be a good starting point.
Also, most people run their saddles too high and too far back. That pivots your pelvis forward so more pressure is put on your perineum, and this taint good.:D

Remember not to change the height or fore/aft positions at the same time. Do small increments and one adjustment at a time. You'll find a position that allows you to ride all day.

Yes, get it fitted properly first of all

Second, you will get used to it - cycling is never as comfortable as sitting on the sofa

Third, consider changing the saddle if you have to, I like the SelleSMP range

If you're experiencing numbness with that saddle, it's your position that's incorrect.

MKD said:

I seem to only have a problem while riding on the indoor trainer outside there are times when you are not pedaling and most of your weight is on your legs giving your but a break. Indoor I get out of the saddle in the 52/11 gear for about 35 seconds every 5 to 7 minutes for relief while keeping my speed on target.

MKD said: