Saddle Angles

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian G Batten, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    Suspecting that I needed to be able to lean forward a little
    more, and also wanting more of my weight going through my
    sit bones and less through my, er, ``soft tissue'', I
    shifted my saddle 15mm back on the rail and tilted it down a
    couple of grooves, then raised the post a bit. Yes, yes, I
    know I should only change one variable at a time, but life's
    too short.

    End result: I can pedal at least a gear higher at the same
    cadence and I chopped another five or ten minutes off the
    trip to the office. Is saddle position _really_ that
    critical? It does seem so...

    ian

    Tags:

  2. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    <snip>
    > End result: I can pedal at least a gear higher at the same
    > cadence and I chopped another five or ten minutes off the
    > trip to the office. Is saddle position _really_ that
    > critical? It does seem so...

    Yes. But you can take it to extremes. I once a friends bike
    while we test rode another. His saddle position at the time
    could only be described as "aggressive". There was no
    discernible difference between sitting in the saddle and
    climbing out to sprint. Fine for short hops, not much cop
    for distance. He has now calmed it down a touch or two.

    If you ride the same route every day and have found a major
    difference in cycling came from these adjustments, try
    making small changes (One thing at a time!) every day or so
    and comparing the experience. When making any change makes
    the ride worse, you've got it licked. Try and get someone to
    photograph the setup (Preferably while you're riding) so
    that if / when you change your bike you get quickly get back
    to a good posture.

    Jon

  3. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004

    I too have experimented with saddle position, and I reckon it is slightly different on each of my three bikes, probably reflecting their different characteristics. However, the biggest single difference I noted was when I moved the saddle back on the rails by about 15mm and made sure that the saddle itself was parallel to the ground - made a big difference in my ability to climb whilst seated and extended the amount of time I can stay in the saddle before "the family jewels" go numb.

    I'm thinking of getting myself a SaddleCo Flow saddle, but so far haven't managed to find a UK distributor. Anyone know where I can get a hold of this from a UK supplier?

  4. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    I'm so sad that I read the subject here as "Saddle Angels"
    and started to think what shiny new accessory it was.

    My first thought was a cable device to stop the saddle being
    stolen, but I've got one of those already.

    Just for fun then, what would Saddle Angels be?

  5. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:18:01 +0000, John Hearns <[email protected]>
    () wrote:

    >I'm so sad that I read the subject here as "Saddle Angels"
    >and started to think what shiny new accessory it was.
    >
    >My first thought was a cable device to stop the saddle
    >being stolen, but I've got one of those already.
    >
    >Just for fun then, what would Saddle Angels be?

    Emergency call-out teams for the saddle-sore, ready with
    helpful advice, padded shorts, soothing nostrums and the out
    of hours numbers of reputable 'bentmongers.

    ;-)

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  6. "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Suspecting that I needed to be able to lean forward a
    > little more, and also wanting more of my weight going
    > through my sit bones and less through my, er, ``soft
    > tissue'', I shifted my saddle 15mm back on the rail and
    > tilted it down a couple of grooves, then raised the post a
    > bit. Yes, yes, I know I should only change one variable at
    > a time, but life's too short.
    >
    > End result: I can pedal at least a gear higher at the same
    > cadence and I chopped another five or ten minutes off the
    > trip to the office. Is saddle position _really_ that
    > critical? It does seem so...

    I guess if it was badly wrong before such a difference
    might be made!

    Talking of saddle angles, twice recently I've seen parked
    bikes with the saddle mounted at about 45 degrees to the
    side and pointing slightly down - completely weird. The
    first one I saw I thought might just be loose and that
    perhaps the rider at least swings it to a more central
    position when riding, but when I saw the second one like
    that, just out of curosity I got hold of the saddle to see
    if it was loose, and it was actually mounted firmly - and
    therefore deliberately - like that. Strange how some people
    ride their bikes!

    Rich

  7. >I'm so sad that I read the subject here as "Saddle Angels"

    You weren't the only one who read "angels" - ;-)

    >Just for fun then, what would Saddle Angels be?

    For me it's my Terry's Liberator TiLite saddle :)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
    nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

  8. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    > >I'm so sad that I read the subject here as "Saddle
    > >Angels"
    >
    > You weren't the only one who read "angels" - ;-)
    >
    > >Just for fun then, what would Saddle Angels be?
    >
    > For me it's my Terry's Liberator TiLite saddle :)

    Have you thought about one of these (vibrating saddle)?

    http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-
    Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-
    bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=turudich&OS=turudi-
    ch&RS=turudich

    John B

  9. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    Matt wrote:
    >Emergency call-out teams for the saddle-sore, ready with helpful advice, padded shorts, soothing nostrums and the out of hours numbers of reputable 'bentmongers.

    ...and preferably looking a bit like Charlies Angels too.

    I could probably do with a visit from the Saddle Angels at the moment - I'm in the process of breaking in a new Brooks B17...

    d.

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:47:03 GMT, davek
    <[email protected]>:

    >I'm in the process of breaking in a new Brooks B17...

    ITYM a new Brooks B17 is in the process of breaking your
    arse in...

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  11. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I could probably do with a visit from the Saddle Angels at
    > the moment - I'm in the process of breaking in a new
    > Brooks B17...

    I was under the impression that one didn't break in a
    leather saddle. I thought they broke in the rider!

    Jon

  12. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004

    Correect, the saddle breaks all the nerves in your arse so that after a certain period you no longer feel pain and discomfort. You kid yourself that your saddle has been "broken in" when in fact it's just your backside that's been bust!

  13. Guy wrote:
    > ITYM a new Brooks B17 is in the process of breaking your
    > arse in...

    Indeed. I've done about 120 miles on it so far and still no
    sign of 'give' despite frequent and liberal applications of
    Proofide. But it's not all bad news - my friends love the
    John Wayne impression.

    d.