Saddle - Arione or not?

Rockslayer

Sep 11, 2006
Thinking about replacing my roadbike saddle with a Fi'zi:k Arione. In reading the other posts about the Arione, it seems a good choice and similar shape as a Gobi which I use on my MTB it has been perfect for me no aches or discomfort after 3-4hours on rugged terrain. worth every cent.
Has anyone used both these saddles and can I expect the Arione to have the same comfort and fit similar/same as the Gobi saddle?

I don't know about the Gobi, but the Arione is very comfortable and great for racing. I think you could get a more comfy non-racing saddle, but it would be alot less efficient. Once again, try a few saddles to see what you like.

Rockslayer said:
Thinking about replacing my roadbike saddle with a Fi'zi:k Arione. In reading the other posts about the Arione, it seems a good choice and similar shape as a Gobi which I use on my MTB it has been perfect for me no aches or discomfort after 3-4hours on rugged terrain. worth every cent.
Has anyone used both these saddles and can I expect the Arione to have the same comfort and fit similar/same as the Gobi saddle?
I have an arione, and I haven't been overly thrilled with it. I think my sit bones are too wide for the saddle.

A lot of people love the arione, but a lot of people hate it as well. So try it out and see what you think.

I tried the Arione and it wasn't good for me....although I am slim, apparently it was too narrow for me...and too domed.
I now love my Selle Italia flyte which is flatter.
Many others are happy with the Arione, though.

Used one for about a year and still have it. It worked well but still got a little uncomfortable after 30 miles or so.
I am using the Terry Y Zero now and it is good for many, many miles and has good performance features.
Every butt is different ,good luck.

I like the Arione that came on my six13 so much that I plan on replacing the Selle Italia on my Felt very soon. The Arione was a bit touchy to fit, but once the LBS got me fitted correctly it has turned out to be more comfortable on longer rides.

Rockslayer said:
try to buy it from a store that will allow you to return it if it doesn't fit well. I tried it and could never quite get comfortable. I ended up selling it to a fellow racer and didn't lose too much.

If you are a cut-out guy, then the Arione may not do it for you. At least that has been the way that it worked out for me and the guys I ride with. And yeah, that 30 mile mark seems to be about right in our experience as well. The Specialized line has been working best for me and mine so far.

I have the arione. It is very flat from front to back. I feel much better on a saddle that has a curve to it. I went for the Aliante. That one fits me much, much better.

How do you pronounce arione... A-rye-on or Ary-on?

Thanks guys/gals for the feedback and suggestions, yeah Saddles aren't just saddles.
Current saddle is Selle Italia SLR gel flow (with the cut-out)ive had on a few months seems okay till the 30mile /40kms plus mark then starts getting a little uncomfortable and where I really need it.(I do have a good quality shorts/cham/paste) Racing option is not so critical for the roadie as I am concentrating on the MTB. I will check out the other options suggested as well, SI flite, Aliante even specialized.. so many options :confused: Think I will just try them and return to shop if I can or sell it if not suited to me. :cool:

My suggestion would be to try the Spesh butt measurer and if the answer is 143 or more don't get the Arione as it will be too narrow for you.

Try the Spesh Toupe, kinda the 'in' saddle atm.

garagedog said:
I have the arione. It is very flat from front to back. I feel much better on a saddle that has a curve to it. I went for the Aliante. That one fits me much, much better.

How do you pronounce arione... A-rye-on or Ary-on?
Yeah i have always wondered.

I have heard

A-ree-oh-nee
A-ree-on (my preference)
A-ree-own
Ar-yon

I might start a thread

DesFlurane said:
My suggestion would be to try the Spesh butt measurer and if the answer is 143 or more don't get the Arione as it will be too narrow for you.

Try the Spesh Toupe, kinda the 'in' saddle atm.
They have a butt measurer? sheesh well if it does the trick why not.

Shops should hire out demo saddles and put the cost towards a new saddle if one was to purchase.

bobbyOCR said:
Yeah i have always wondered.

I have heard

A-ree-oh-nee
A-ree-on (my preference)
A-ree-own
Ar-yon

I might start a thread
Yeah, Start a thread, the word doesnt come up on any Dictionary search of any language. :confused: Someone in Fiz marketing is making stuff up! haha..maybe we can email Fiz to please explain? :p