Saddle experience: Selle Italia SLC or Selle SMP Strike?

nigel31

Oct 6, 2004
Greetings All,

I'm considering putting a new saddle on my Xmas wish list and am looking at both the new Selle Italia SLC and the Selle SMP Strike Evolution or Composit (see photos). Obviously, I'm into seats with ample cutouts.

Anyone have experiences with either of these saddles? I'd love to hear the goods or the bads on 'em.

Cheers,
Nige

I am now considering the same thing, and i am looking at these two exact saddles. Have you found out anything about them?

Ric

nigel31 said:
Greetings All,

I'm considering putting a new saddle on my Xmas wish list and am looking at both the new Selle Italia SLC and the Selle SMP Strike Evolution or Composit (see photos). Obviously, I'm into seats with ample cutouts.

Anyone have experiences with either of these saddles? I'd love to hear the goods or the bads on 'em.

Cheers,
Nige

Does this mean that no one has yet tried the Selle SMP Strike Evolution Saddle? I'm considering buying it for my long rides. I understand the price is prohibitive but if it really helps like they advertise, it could be worth it.

domaindomain said:
I have the Selle SMP Pro on a bike and its so good I am getting another for another bike!

I was sceptical at first but 20km convinced me!

I'm also considering an SMP Strike. But does anyone have any experience of the cheaper Strike Trek version? I was thinking of trying one of those on my raining bike to see if I liked the general concept, then moving up to a Pro or Evolution for the race bike if I liked it. The advantage of the Trek is it's about a sixth of the price (I can get one for £16 sterling vs £99 for the Pro).

I've only got the basic version of the SMP (I think they call it TRK) but have done over 2000km on it. I like still be able to feel the old fellow at the end of a decent cycle.

hie guy, i hav d selle smp STRIKE evolution saddle...
mind to heard my opinion?
actuali it's a very comfy n strong saddle... but u nid time to accustomed wif it bcoz of it design which support body by bones... tht's y on d very 1st time u sit on tis saddle, u ll feel damn pain n wan to throw it away... juz bear wif it... u will feel its gud 1 days!!! **u muz wear padding tight to match tis saddle!!
If u think for ur future generation, u shud get tis saddle! its reali make my 'Little BRO' feel cool.... :D
cheers

james90 said:
hie guy, i hav d selle smp STRIKE evolution saddle...
actuali it's a very comfy n strong saddle... but u nid time to accustomed wif it bcoz of it design which support body by bones... tht's y on d very 1st time u sit on tis saddle, u ll feel damn pain n wan to throw it away... juz bear wif it... u will feel its gud 1 days!!! **u muz wear padding tight to match tis saddle!!
If u think for ur future generation, u shud get tis saddle! its reali make my 'Little BRO' feel cool.... :D
cheers
what language is this?

hie guy, i got a selle smp STRIKE evolution saddle...
actually it's a very comfortable and strong saddle... but u need time to accustomed with it because of it special design which support body by bones... that's why on the very 1st time u sit on this saddle, you will feel damn pain and juz want to throw away this rubbish... My comment is just bear with it... you will feel its good and comfort 1 days later!!! **you must wear padding tight to match tis saddle!! if not, you will never say this is a good saddle...
Anyway, the physicians say are Correct!
"Journals of sexual medicine"
cheers
is this ok? sorry for my improper english.... sorry guys..:eek:

Damn, those are pricey! I would try one except for that.

Over $300 for a saddle? Please......:mad:

benkoostra said:
Damn, those are pricey! I would try one except for that.

I've found some on ebay for $219 from France.... but you're right, it's kind of rediculous

domaindomain said:
I was sceptical at first but 20km convinced me!
You are easily sold! Try 100km ride and see what happens. Cheap BBB saddles can be considered comfy at 20km.

BtonRider said:
I've found some on ebay for $219 from France.... but you're right, it's kind of rediculous

The SMP Strike Pro is available for £99.99 sterling (about 145 euros at last count), on a buy it now on ebay: just plug the item number 330029406455 into the search box and it'll come up with it.

I could be the odd one out here. But I was so impressed with the SMP website, that I went and bought a SMP Trek saddle.

As much as I wanted to be happy with the saddle, I just could not get comfy on it. In fact it was painful to sit on from the start. I did not give up tho, tried adjusting the saddle position, but after 1 month of trying, I just could not find a comfortable position.

Sold the saddle and bought a San Marco Rolls classic for 1/4 of the price of the SMP, and am very happy with the rolls.

I have the SLC on my Kuota and it is a very good saddle, but I am considering the Strike Carbon because the giblets do go numb after only 30 minutes on my TruTrainer rollers, because I am not comfortable enough on them to stand up, so I have to stop and let things come back to life - very annoying. Other than that, the saddle is incredibly comfortable and the flex in it seems to make up for any lack of padding. Does anyone know if the Strikes also flex due to their thiness? I suspect that they may not because of the "bridge" across the gap, connecting the 2 sides near the back of the saddle. If the SLC had the sloped nose it would probably be perfect for me. By the way, Bikemania.biz has all models of the Strike available, including the complete Carbon which goes for almost $600. The carbon is $385 and the rest are $220. If anyone gets the Strike, please report your results. Thanks.

benkoostra said:
Really, they have one at my LBS, the guy over the counter is a racer-friend of mine, I saw the saddle at $329.

"Wow, who buys these?"
"Idiots"
"oh."

Saddles cost about $12 to make. This design is heavy on bullsh*t. It does not do anything fundamentally different than other saddles that perch you on your sitbones (i.e. Brooks, Aspide, SLR) and allow perineal blow flow.
The journal article about the efficacy of these saddles is published by Caruso,the same guy who designed the saddles and who works for SMP. The same is true for the Specialized Toupe -lots of 'scientifical' data, yet no pro on even on Gerolsteiner will use one for anything longer than a TT. I went through all this and spent hundreds on useless lightweight saddles (thank god for Ebay).

You want real saddle advice? Pros often refuse to accept endorsements for saddles because they know how important a good saddle is. A Road racer will spend 6 hours a stage on a saddle for a month. Look through what they use, the commonality is the old, heavy, Selle Italia Flite, even on teams sponsored by other saddles. Recently it's the Fizik Airione, San Marco Aspide and the Italia SLR. None of these have cutouts.
Armstrong refused to ride anything other than a San Marco Concor -no cutouts, no gel, no BS. Boonen rides San Marco Regal -same thing.

Read these papers, from an independent source:

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 Feb;35(2):327-32.

Int J Impot Res. 2002 Dec;14(6):513-7.

And others conclude that saddles don't matter as much as seating position. Riders who ride sitting up with high bars are putting too much weight on their butts. Riders with higher cadence and more time spent climbing off the saddles or in the drops have no problems with comfort or blood flow. Too much padding is not good, it chokes of blood vessels, and overall saddle spring is important, as well as ability to move in the saddle (i.e, airione, Flite, Aspide or SLR). Most studies published to date are only looking at sedentary riders, i.e. policemen and weekend riders. If you are stuck in one position, sitting upright, the SMP may help, but this is not good riding technique. At full cadence, you should straddle the saddle, no sit on it. It's a saddle, not a seat. Adjust your style, not your saddle. Saddle problems at my club always come from guys who ride their bars too high.

Well, I appreciate some of the information, but spare me the attitude about, who would pay $300 for a saddle - it is the main interface with the bike. Certainly the same could be said for spending $4,000+ for a bike... The bottom line is that I go numb on the rollers and the saddle is the problem (my position on the rollers also contributes) and I am looking for ways to fix the problem. By the way, on the road, the SLC is the most comforatble saddle I have ever ridden, and I also have the S I Flite. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to make the boys comfortable on the rollers, so feedback about the Strike is welcome.

HoosierHills said:
Well, I appreciate some of the information, but spare me the attitude about, who would pay $300 for a saddle - it is the main interface with the bike. Certainly the same could be said for spending $4,000+ for a bike... The bottom line is that I go numb on the rollers and the saddle is the problem.
sigh. You think the saddle is the problem. Don't forget the chamois-cheap shorts suck.
Tip: make a 1/4" saddle cushion from $50 bills, makes about as much sense as a $220-$600 SMP saddle.
More likely it may just be width or shape, or you need a professional bike fitting, which is what worked for me.

I suggest trying a San Marco Aspide SKN. Light, and springy, $25-30.
If it doesn't work, ebay for $15.
Or wait, SMPs are new, in a matter of months, many will appear on ebay barely used. If not, at least try the SMP TRK, it's $65.
smp-striketrk02.jpg

Nay, 'tis not the shorts - I use Pearl Microsensors, Pearl Ultrasensors and Hincapie's top of the line. Same no matter what I wear on the rollers. Additionally, I did have not just a static professional bike fitting, but a dynamic 2-hour fitting with dynamic angle measurements using freeze-frame photography. Side note - THAT was some of the best money I have ever spent - I bought my bike based on those measurements and it fits like a glove. That being said, I know that my riding position on my rollers is less than optimal, but it is what it is and that is the main problem that I am trying to solve, knowing that if it solves it there it will be better than good on the road. While I do believe that stewardship is important, I am not overly worried about the $200 - $400 cost, so don't be overly focused on the it - that is a secondary consideration for me. Any SMP Strike users out there with feedback on the saddle? If not, I will be in the next week or so - trying to figure out how much padding (which model) to go with.