Saddle experience: Selle Italia SLC or Selle SMP Strike?

If you ride a lot then investing in the contact points between man and machine makes sense. Sure it will never be as comfortable as sitting on the couch, but you can go a long way to making sure that you really enjoy sitting on the saddle.

The new Selle SMP range does, imo, exactly what the manufacturer claims and they seem to have heeded customers comments about prices by introducing the Extra at about GBP60 to bridge the gap between the TRK and the Pro / Plus

I was a scpetic about the claims until I tried the Pro (see my earlier posts), now I have a member of the Selle SMP Strike range on every bike I own.

My own take on the best measure of value / price is that the Pro is probably optimum.

That groove in front looks scary. My, how the world's changed since the 70s and 80s when your choice was between Cinelli Unicanitor, Sella Italia Turbo, Sella San Marco Concor, or a Brooks Pro. They all cost less than 40 bucks and if one didn't work for you, chances are that the others wouldn't either--the problem would be your butt or your position.

In 40 years of riding I've enjoyed thousands of miles on all of these saddles--they were all good. The Turbo was my favorite because I could find the most positions on it, but after 25 years the shell broke down and they don't make it anymore. The current Concor with titanium rails (like Lance used) is a decent second choice, and it costs only $65 at Excel Sports.

I just got in 2 of the SMP Strikes - a Pro and an Evolution. We will see how they treat the boys tonight one is going on the Kuota on the rollers and one on the P3 on the trainer. Here goes numb-thing!

HoosierHills said:
I just got in 2 of the SMP Strikes - a Pro and an Evolution. We will see how they treat the boys tonight one is going on the Kuota on the rollers and one on the P3 on the trainer. Here goes numb-thing!

Eager to hear our it went.
I have two friends that tried the SMP Strike, one has given up on it after a month. The other has stayed with it a little longer and stated that since he's raised the tip of the saddle, it has actually become a bit more comfortable. Though the final verdict is still out. Both mentioned that the padding seemed very stiff, and hasn't softened up much in a month of riding.
I think the poster who stated it isn't going to be quite as comfortable as the couch said it best......and especially if you want something lightweight.

I wore Pearl Ultrasensors and after 30 minutes on the Pro on the road bike / rollers - I was absolutely fine. I could tell in the first 30 seconds that it was significantly different. The padding is stiff, but compared to what I am used to (the Selle SLC) it was just fine. Knew this one is a winner, its not overly light, but hey no free lunches. I'll crank a few extra watts climbing to save the lads. Definitely a keeper.

I then jumped on the TT bike on the trainer. The Evolution has far less padding, and I could definitely feel a difference between the 2 saddles (Evolution noticeably harder) but no numbness there either and I went with that saddle on the TT bike, because an hour at a time is all I want on that bike anyway. (I suspect that the composite, carbon and full carbon are as hard as a rock.)

I am 6'4" and weigh 185 and I was concerned before I got them that the Strike saddles may have been designed for smaller body type cyclists and may not fit me, but getting them and trying has eliminated that concern. These 2 are keepers for me!

Good luck!

I just bought a SMP Strike Composit from an LBS who allowed me to swap it for a different Strike model if I didn't like it. The Composit was incredibly hard (zero padding). You'd have to have one tough a** to be able to tolerate that for very long. I did two hours on it and felt like I had bruises down there. (I usually ride a San Marco Concor).

Today I swapped it out for the Stratos (which has a bit more padding) and seems better. I remain to be convinced about the huge cutout. Sure, you don't get any numbness but you must be concentrating the same weight on those little rails each side of the cutout. I'll report on what I think of it when I've ridden it a couple of times.

HoosierHills said:
Well, I appreciate some of the information, but spare me the attitude about, who would pay $300 for a saddle - it is the main interface with the bike. Certainly the same could be said for spending $4,000+ for a bike... The bottom line is that I go numb on the rollers and the saddle is the problem (my position on the rollers also contributes) and I am looking for ways to fix the problem. By the way, on the road, the SLC is the most comforatble saddle I have ever ridden, and I also have the S I Flite. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to make the boys comfortable on the rollers, so feedback about the Strike is welcome.
I have the Strike and have put about 1000mi on it. I loved it and never had a problem even right out of the box. The tilted nose reduces pressure on the boys, and i do long rides so this is mandatory. I recently changed saddles after a professional fitting, PK Racing in Bay Area, and found that with the new fit the saddle wasn't right for me. I have mine and am willing to sell it for a decent price. I'd rather it go to someone on this board than some random person from ebay.

I have the Strike and have put about 1000mi on it. I loved it and never had a problem even right out of the box.

Which model do you have - I may have a riding buddy that would take it - how much would you be asking for it?

i have the strike on my TT bike. used it for a year and would say it is a excellent saddle. only cavat might be it puts a lot of pressure on your rear end and i've had some sore bones after rough courses. not sure if a fatter ass would help.....?

HoosierHills said:
I have the Strike and have put about 1000mi on it. I loved it and never had a problem even right out of the box.

Which model do you have - I may have a riding buddy that would take it - how much would you be asking for it?
I have the Strike Plus and would sell for $100 shipping included.

I purchased the Selle SMP Evolution about 2 months ago and I've fallen in love with it. After putting nearly 1000 miles on it and as much as 160 miles in one ride, I think I've finally decided I like it.

First I'd say you're not going to eliminate chaffing with this saddle you're just going to move the rub points. My problem with my Selle San Marco Aspide Arrowhead Gelaround Saddle was my tailbone always hurt after a long ride. Of course the pressure on the "soft tissue" was a problem but I had PAIN in my tailbone.

That's all gone now. I don't have pressure on the soft tissue and my tail bone survives my long rides without a problem. It definately takes some getting used to so give up if you don't like it after 20 miles.

Used both - the Italia gave me sore on the contact points inside the legs within 3 rides. I have a Selle SMP evolution [not much padding] on my fixed wheel, and the Composit [NO padding - like wood] on the Roadbike. Wear good nicks and it's the most comfortable thing going - although you need to start with the nose a little "up" & gradually lower it a degree at a time to make the centre "scoop" of the saddle fit right.

Not maybe for everyone - but if you even had a numb perenium after riding - this is your baby. :)

I have a Selle SMP Strike Evolution saddle and it has been great from the first day I rode it. I can't imagine a better saddle for a guy - ever so comfortable where it counts throughout the ride. It seemed narrow to me when I bought it and I stewed about the narrow width for quite a long time, but I gave it a try anyway. I'm not small, short, or light-weight, but it fits and rides perfectly. I doubt the wider models will be of much value for most guys. I don't know about women - the pelvic structure is different, and a wide model may be better. For guys - don't waste time - just get one. The clear open channel really does what it is intended to do, and the curve downward of the nose also helps. Great saddle.