Saddle fit question

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I have a saddle that I like a lot (it's on two bikes) but have started to run into some fit issues.
As I have become more fit and flexible, I have been moving the saddle higher (I'm now in the higher "fit range" of saddle height) and it seems to be working great with one exception: If I leave the saddle relatively flat (horizontal) it's great when I'm on the hoods or the flats but as I spend more time on the drops, the saddle gets uncomfortable unless I tip the front of saddle down. This works great for the drops but then I keep sliding forward when I get on the hoods. If I leave the saddle horizontal and want to ride on the drops, I have to lower the saddle but it feels like I'm not getting enough power or it just doesn't feel right. I "feel better" in the higher saddle position.
So, is it time to look at an alternate saddle or is it just a matter of compromising depending on which position I ride the most?
Just curious...

rparedes said:
I have a saddle that I like a lot (it's on two bikes) but have started to run into some fit issues.
As I have become more fit and flexible, I have been moving the saddle higher (I'm now in the higher "fit range" of saddle height) and it seems to be working great with one exception: If I leave the saddle relatively flat (horizontal) it's great when I'm on the hoods or the flats but as I spend more time on the drops, the saddle gets uncomfortable unless I tip the front of saddle down. This works great for the drops but then I keep sliding forward when I get on the hoods. If I leave the saddle horizontal and want to ride on the drops, I have to lower the saddle but it feels like I'm not getting enough power or it just doesn't feel right. I "feel better" in the higher saddle position.
So, is it time to look at an alternate saddle or is it just a matter of compromising depending on which position I ride the most?
Just curious...

So... Nobody has this problem?

These sort of problems do crop up from time to time but there is no hard or fast rule for anything to do with saddles. All aspects of fit are personal.

I'd always be loath to chage away from a good saddle, but I've never had to. You might have reached the limit of your old faithful.

Well, if you can't find a happy medium for both ride positions, I'd say it's time to look for a new saddle.

Suggest you return your saddle to the comfortable position height, but move the saddle aft (start with a couple millimeters) in order to get the increased extension you're after. Believe it or not, I have done this and it's provided me with an increase of a minimum 10w across the board with absolutely no increased pressure points...as always with positional issues, ymmv...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Suggest you return your saddle to the comfortable position height, but move the saddle aft (start with a couple millimeters) in order to get the increased extension you're after. Believe it or not, I have done this and it's provided me with an increase of a minimum 10w across the board with absolutely no increased pressure points...as always with positional issues, ymmv...
I second that.

If you're not comfortable on your seat, you have problems. Riders will often keep a good seat from their old bike and use it when they get a new bike.

I think I've fixed it . I added some shims (folded alum can pieces) under the rails so that the saddle tilts just slightly forward but not as far as it would if I use the next "tooth" on my saddle clamp. I think eventually I'd have to get those "micro adjust" saddle clamps... so far so good.