Saddle for "extreme" touring

Dear Forum,

Each year I'm doing a rather long self supported bicycle touring trip
of approx. 10000 km (6000 mi). Usually my daily mileage is +200 km
(+125 mi). My touring bike has a road bike geometry with a road bar
handle and an aero bar (triathlon bar). When the road is nice and flat
I would usually bend down and use the aero bar.

So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the road it's really
painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
stop because of the blister pain. Mentally and physically I'm not
tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......

I know I'm a rather extremist amongst tourers but nevertheless this
is the way I would like to do my trips.

So far I've read a lot of recommendations on the Internet and people
swear by either Brooks saddles or saddles like Selle Italia Flite. I
know that a lot of people instantly will argue that saddles are a
personal thing, but I just don't have the time and money to try all
the saddles. Therefore I need some advice.

Concerning the Brooks saddles: I fully understand that they might be
the right choice but too I'm afraid that the Brooks fan community is
the recreational type tourer "only" doing max 100 km (60 mi) a day
and having plenty of rest days (which I don't). Bear in mind that
I'm using my aero bar 10% of the time too.

Concerning the Selle Italie Flite (or some other high end race saddle):
People swearing by this saddle are mountain bikers and road racers
(www.mtbr.com and www.roadbikereview.com). But again if those people
usually only do two or three hour trips 3 or 5 times a week it's hard
to compare. Of course a Flite saddle can be nice if you are training on
a regular basis, and then after training, have the possibility to have
a nice shower and go to a nice and comfy bed for a good nights sleep.

Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
world would help me because the stress is just too high?.

So, I hope some people can help me find a nice and extreme saddle.

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Two words: Assos Cream

Find it, get it, it will save your ass (literally)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear Forum,
>
> Each year I'm doing a rather long self supported bicycle touring trip
> of approx. 10000 km (6000 mi). Usually my daily mileage is +200 km
> (+125 mi). My touring bike has a road bike geometry with a road bar
> handle and an aero bar (triathlon bar). When the road is nice and flat
> I would usually bend down and use the aero bar.
>
> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
> red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the road it's really
> painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
> to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
> stop because of the blister pain. Mentally and physically I'm not
> tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......
>
> I know I'm a rather extremist amongst tourers but nevertheless this
> is the way I would like to do my trips.
>
> So far I've read a lot of recommendations on the Internet and people
> swear by either Brooks saddles or saddles like Selle Italia Flite. I
> know that a lot of people instantly will argue that saddles are a
> personal thing, but I just don't have the time and money to try all
> the saddles. Therefore I need some advice.
>
> Concerning the Brooks saddles: I fully understand that they might be
> the right choice but too I'm afraid that the Brooks fan community is
> the recreational type tourer "only" doing max 100 km (60 mi) a day
> and having plenty of rest days (which I don't). Bear in mind that
> I'm using my aero bar 10% of the time too.
>
> Concerning the Selle Italie Flite (or some other high end race saddle):
> People swearing by this saddle are mountain bikers and road racers
> (www.mtbr.com and www.roadbikereview.com). But again if those people
> usually only do two or three hour trips 3 or 5 times a week it's hard
> to compare. Of course a Flite saddle can be nice if you are training on
> a regular basis, and then after training, have the possibility to have
> a nice shower and go to a nice and comfy bed for a good nights sleep.
>
> Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
> normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
> world would help me because the stress is just too high?.
>
> So, I hope some people can help me find a nice and extreme saddle.
>
> Regards, Lucas Jensen

Extreme cycling calls for unusual measures. I'd suggest that you carry
at least one and perhaps 2 alternative saddles of different designs,
and alternate them. This could move the points of stress and give some
recovery time.

cheers

Jacob

[email protected] wrote:

> So, I hope some people can help me find a nice and extreme saddle.

You might try a comfortable bike... Something of a recumbent nature
will distribute your weight much more widely across rest points and
remove any need for crouching over aero bars. It also gives the
possibility of having luggage you take being drafted by the seat,
improving your aerodynamics further.

Recumbent seats come in many styles, shapes and sizes, but the right one
will support your weight much better than any saddle because it can
allow support along your whole back as well as your butt, and it doesn't
need to be cut away to allow you to pedal. Try a few, and see what you
think.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Dear Forum,

It's a newsgroup, not a forum. It just looks like one because
cyclingforums have poached it and put a ghastly front end on.

> Concerning the Brooks saddles: I fully understand that they might be
> the right choice but too I'm afraid that the Brooks fan community is
> the recreational type tourer "only" doing max 100 km (60 mi) a day
> and having plenty of rest days (which I don't). Bear in mind that
> I'm using my aero bar 10% of the time too.

I'd have a word with the Audax crowd. As recreational riders they only
do 3-400 km days, or short rides such as the Paris-Brest-Paris (1200km
in 90 hours) or London Edinburgh London (1400km in a bit over 100
hours.) A fair number of them use Brooks saddles.

...d

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
> red and look like blisters.

You're sitting/perching too much. Try raising your saddle.

> After a few weeks on the road it's really
> painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
> to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
> stop because of the blister pain.

That shouldn't be happening. Heck, I wear holes in the contact areas
of my shorts before I suffer any actual, physical pain. And I don't
suffer any actual, physical pain. But I'm wishing for cordura shorts.

> Mentally and physically I'm not
> tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......

By sitting down hard, you're steadying your shorts against the
saddle while your bum slides around on the inside of your shorts,
hence the irritation.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

David Martin wrote:

> I'd have a word with the Audax crowd. As recreational riders they only
> do 3-400 km days, or short rides such as the Paris-Brest-Paris (1200km
> in 90 hours) or London Edinburgh London (1400km in a bit over 100
> hours.) A fair number of them use Brooks saddles.

But you'll find a fair number don't use Brookes. Brookes or not, my advice
is to choose one which fits your **** ie, one which supports your 'sit'
bones and doesn't put pressure on your perineum. You might try altering your
riding position to achive this as well.

> I'd have a word with the Audax crowd. As recreational riders they only
> do 3-400 km days, or short rides such as the Paris-Brest-Paris (1200km
> in 90 hours) or London Edinburgh London (1400km in a bit over 100
> hours.) A fair number of them use Brooks saddles.

When asking your friends, please ask for the specific model too. There
are so many models (normal, wide, etc etc).

Lucas

[email protected] wrote:

> > I'd have a word with the Audax crowd. As recreational riders they only
> > do 3-400 km days, or short rides such as the Paris-Brest-Paris (1200km
> > in 90 hours) or London Edinburgh London (1400km in a bit over 100
> > hours.) A fair number of them use Brooks saddles.
> >

> When asking your friends, please ask for the specific model too. There
> are so many models (normal, wide, etc etc).

Seeing as my friends and acquaintances do not have your posterior, the
best thing for you to do is to find a friend who will lend you a saddle
for a week or so to try.

I did this with a Brookes, and discovered that it wasn't the most
comfortable of saddles at first, but it had the advantage of not
getting any more uncomfortable over the course of a day. Everything
else I tried would be painful after 3 hours. So I bought one and a week
later rode 90 miles with no bum ache whatsoever.

The other trick is to get off the saddle for half a minute or so every
20 minutes.

...d

[email protected] wrote:
> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only.

Before a different saddle, try different shorts and/or a cream. Lusso
Coolmax (with blue pad) cause less chafing for me than average shorts (and
I haven't needed any cream).

~PB

lucasjensen wrote:

> Dear Forum,
> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
> red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the road it's really
> painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
> to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
> stop because of the blister pain. Mentally and physically I'm not
> tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......

Dear dumbass,

Try removing the saddle and riding on the seatpost; some people find this
quite titillating. Alternately take some kenacort to alleviate the
symptoms.

You could also try posting this to an appropriate 'forum'.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:02:52 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>lucasjensen wrote:
>
>> Dear Forum,
>> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
>> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
>> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and approx.
>> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
>> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
>> red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the road it's really
>> painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
>> to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
>> stop because of the blister pain. Mentally and physically I'm not
>> tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......

>Dear dumbass,
>
>Try removing the saddle and riding on the seatpost; some people find this
>quite titillating. Alternately take some kenacort to alleviate the
>symptoms.
>
>You could also try posting this to an appropriate 'forum'.

Clearly, you need a new saddle. Allow me to offer a suggestion.

http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Extreme cycling calls for unusual measures. I'd suggest that you carry
> at least one and perhaps 2 alternative saddles of different designs,
> and alternate them. This could move the points of stress and give some
> recovery time.
>
> cheers
>
> Jacob

Jacob,

nothing personal, but your suggestion is just wrong wrong wrong. I don't
know how much cycling you do, but any serious cyclist will need to stick
with one style and one exact adjustment. you can't go around screwing with
the angle, fore/ aft and saddle height especially on a long trip. a bad
adjustment can seriously hurt your knees.

Laz

Donald Munro wrote:
> lucasjensen wrote:
>
>> Dear Forum,
>> So far I have used a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle (narrow MTB
>> version) and regular synthetic bike shorts with no talcum or grease,
>> but have not been entirely satisfied. After roughly 1 week and
>> approx. 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom
>> caused by friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots
>> usually turn red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the
>> road it's really painful to start in the morning but after 10
>> minutes I somehow get used to it. At the end of the day after 10
>> hours in the saddle I usually stop because of the blister pain.
>> Mentally and physically I'm not tired at all and would like to
>> continue, but my ****......

> Dear dumbass,
>
> Try removing the saddle and riding on the seatpost; some people find
> this quite titillating. Alternately take some kenacort to alleviate
> the symptoms.

Dear RectumBreath,

Were you dropped on your head as a kid or just picked on unmercifully?

> You could also try posting this to an appropriate 'forum'.

Whiner.

oooh poor old Lucas - first its pains in the **** area and now a
kicking from uk.r.c! Whats he done to deserve it besides being 'a bit
deficient in the irony area' as they say?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>So far I've read a lot of recommendations on the Internet and people
>swear by either Brooks saddles or saddles like Selle Italia Flite. I
>know that a lot of people instantly will argue that saddles are a
>personal thing, but I just don't have the time and money to try all
>the saddles. Therefore I need some advice.

You need to figure out what is it about your current saddle that is causing
problems. That way you can figure out what it is you need, or don't need,
in your next saddle.

>Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
>normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
>world would help me because the stress is just too high?.

That is probably it. If the saddle is comfortable for 5 hours, you should be
looking else where. You may want to consider putting some sort of cream in
your shorts. I've heard many people recommend bag balm, what ever that is.
------------
Alex

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear Forum,
>
> Each year I'm doing a rather long self supported bicycle touring trip
> of approx. 10000 km (6000 mi). Usually my daily mileage is +200 km
> (+125 mi). My touring bike has a road bike geometry with a road bar
> handle and an aero bar (triathlon bar). When the road is nice and flat
> I would usually bend down and use the aero bar.

That's a rather long haul, must be nice to be able to take nearly 2
months a year off work for a long ride......

> So far I've read a lot of recommendations on the Internet and people
> swear by either Brooks saddles or saddles like Selle Italia Flite. I
> know that a lot of people instantly will argue that saddles are a
> personal thing, but I just don't have the time and money to try all
> the saddles. Therefore I need some advice.

Saddles are a personal thing, different people have different arses, and
different saddles are made for different arses, so you need to find one
designed for your ****.

> Concerning the Brooks saddles: I fully understand that they might be
> the right choice but too I'm afraid that the Brooks fan community is
> the recreational type tourer "only" doing max 100 km (60 mi) a day
> and having plenty of rest days (which I don't). Bear in mind that
> I'm using my aero bar 10% of the time too.

It's one of those things, a saddle good enough for 100km once ever 3-4
days, is going to be good enough for 200km/day. I think the key is you
need to buy at least two of the same brand and model, get them both
broken in, then put one on the bike, and the second one in your gear.
At some point, when the saddle gets worn, swap them.

> Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
> normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
> world would help me because the stress is just too high?.

You also need to make sure the bike is set up properly and that the
saddle is adjusted properly. You are wearing bike shorts at least,
those may help for the painful bits.

[email protected] wrote (deleting all context, of course):

> oooh poor old Lucas - first its pains in the **** area and now a
> kicking from uk.r.c! Whats he done to deserve it besides being 'a bit
> deficient in the irony area' as they say?

Um, since this was posted as a reply to ME, I'll point out that my little
flame was directed at Donald Munro (who called your friend a "dumbass" {sic}
and suggested he ride a seatless post) and /not/ the OP (Lucas).

HTH, BS

[email protected] wrote:

> After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
> red and look like blisters.

Obviously the saddle, or your shorts, don't work for you. If the
problem persists irrespective of all attempts to remedy, there is the
old Lon Haldeman trick of wearing two pair of shorts, turning
the inside pair inside-out. (Maybe I remember too a lube fix like
vaseline for a sore spot.)

> Concerning the Brooks saddles: I fully understand that they might be
> the right choice but too I'm afraid that the Brooks fan community is
> the recreational type tourer "only" doing max 100 km (60 mi) a day
> and having plenty of rest days (which I don't). Bear in mind that
> I'm using my aero bar 10% of the time too.

A saddle that doesn't work for you will reveal itself in less than 60
mi.

Above 30 mi per day, it's all the same. If it hurts, it is wrong.

> Concerning the Selle Italie Flite (or some other high end race saddle):
> People swearing by this saddle are mountain bikers and road racers
> (www.mtbr.com and www.roadbikereview.com). But again if those people
> usually only do two or three hour trips 3 or 5 times a week it's hard
> to compare. Of course a Flite saddle can be nice if you are training on
> a regular basis, and then after training, have the possibility to have
> a nice shower and go to a nice and comfy bed for a good nights sleep.

The Flite works for a lot of people -- it does for me. That doesn't
mean it will work for you. It only comes in one size. A saddle must be
flat enough and firm enough in the ischeal tuberosity region to prevent
you from sinking onto the soft tissue in between. (Saddles can be too
soft, which means you sink onto the soft tissue.) Shaping for low
friction must exist too, as you've learned.

The short trip and "only racing" constraints don't wash. Racers put on
a lot of miles, so the saddle has to be comfortable. There is a fallacy
that racers don't care about comfort. That is nonsense. It shouldn't
hurt, no matter what type of riding one is doing.