Saddle for "extreme" touring

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:23:13 -0400, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> You may want to consider putting some sort of
> cream in your shorts. I've heard many people recommend bag balm, what
> ever that is. ------------
> Alex

Bag balm is pretty much a heavy duty lanolin based cream make for cow
udders. Not bad stuff.

Also worth trying are Gold Bond Powder, plain talcum, diaper rash ointment.

I'd also try a different brand of shorts to see if that helps.

Tom, while your posting may seem a bit off topic I don't believe it is.
Racers have to train a great deal and the longer races are further than
your rides and with a great deal more speed involved.

In that vein I'd make the following suggestions:

1) Contrary to what you might believe, a saddle of the correct shape
with minimal padding will give less irritation then one with more
padding. Finding the saddle that fits your derriere may be a somewhat
tedious and expensive proposition but those are the breaks. Some people
are easy to fit while others more difficult. Try a Selle San Marco
Rolls and see how that works for you.

2) Some people believe that you have a friction problem and that heavy
use of chamois creme as a lubricant might be beneficial. That might be
the case but in my opinion it is more likely a bacterial infection
problem. This is caused by your long hours in a soft saddle that blocks
off the evaporation of your sweat which gathers in the sit-bone pockets
formed in the soft saddle. This allows bacterial growth in the pores of
that region which swell and irritate the entire area.

So there are two ways of treating this - the harder saddle will help,
but the major vehicle of change would be for you to use a sealer rather
than a lubricant on your posterior. I would recommend that you obtain a
creme composed all or mostly of lanolin. Apply this only in a light
coating which is intended to keep the moisture off of your skin and out
of the pores in the effected region of the saddle.

I believe that with this practice you'll find that your problems
disappear completely.

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear Forum,
>
> Each year I'm doing a rather long self supported bicycle touring trip
> of approx. 10000 km (6000 mi). Usually my daily mileage is +200 km
> (+125 mi). M

> After roughly 1 week and approx.
> 1400 km (875 mi) I really start to have pain in by bottom caused by
> friction and friction only. Later on the friction spots usually turn
> red and look like blisters. After a few weeks on the road it's really
> painful to start in the morning but after 10 minutes I somehow get used
> to it. At the end of the day after 10 hours in the saddle I usually
> stop because of the blister pain. Mentally and physically I'm not
> tired at all and would like to continue, but my ****......

Sounds like your skin is breaking down from friction and/or moisture.
Besides trying different saddles, try using a lubricant with
lanolin/vaseline (A&D ointment, Bag Balm, etc.). Also, some chamois are
more abrasive than others.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Um, since this was posted as a reply to ME, I'll point out that my little
> flame was directed at Donald Munro (who called your friend a "dumbass" {sic}
> and suggested he ride a seatless post) and /not/ the OP (Lucas).

Emmerduer,
Get yourself a decent newsreader - it was posted as a reply to
lucasjensen ans shows up that way on both my newsreaders (pan and emacs)
as well as groups.google.com. Perhaps you should stick to responding to
helmet thread trolls instead.

A brookes B17 and a Flite Ti have very similar geometry (although quite
different weights!). I find both very comfortable and have no problem
riding 100km without cycling shorts on the B17, even after a lay-off
from the saddle. I also find less friction with the B17 which has a
very smooth leather. For both, comfort derives from suspension and
saddle flex.

If you sit bones are wider you may want a wider saddle. Narrower and
you may want a B17 narrow.

regards,
daren

Donald Munro wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Um, since this was posted as a reply to ME, I'll point out that my
>> little flame was directed at Donald Munro (who called your friend a
>> "dumbass" {sic} and suggested he ride a seatless post) and /not/ the
>> OP (Lucas).

> Emmerduer,
> Get yourself a decent newsreader - it was posted as a reply to
> lucasjensen ans shows up that way on both my newsreaders (pan and
> emacs) as well as groups.google.com. Perhaps you should stick to
> responding to helmet thread trolls instead.

Buttmunch,

I know it was /directed/ at Lucas, but it was posted as a reply to me.
(Yes, I use a threaded newsreader; those little plus/minus thingys really
work, you know.)

So why didn't /you/ answer my question? Were you dropped on your head as a
kid or just picked on unmercifully?

Your initial reply to the OP was rude, crude AND inappropriate; otherwise,
good one! <eg>

Laz wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Extreme cycling calls for unusual measures. I'd suggest that you carry
> > at least one and perhaps 2 alternative saddles of different designs,
> > and alternate them. This could move the points of stress and give some
> > recovery time.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Jacob
> >

> Jacob,
>
> nothing personal, but your suggestion is just wrong wrong wrong. I don't
> know how much cycling you do, but any serious cyclist will need to stick
> with one style and one exact adjustment. you can't go around screwing with
> the angle, fore/ aft and saddle height especially on a long trip. a bad
> adjustment can seriously hurt your knees.
>
> Laz

Well it works for me - the idea is that eventually you get it right
(i.e. no pain) and at that point you stick with what you've got. I
stuck with a brooks professional for years until it started hurting for
no apparent reason.There doesn't seem to be any scientific way of
determining suitable saddle details beyond general rules so trial and
error is the only way . I've never had a knee problem.
If you are committed to a long trip then you really have to try
anything if your bum or anything is playing up or you could spoil the
trip.
re 'how much cycling you do' well usually 2/3 weeks touring/camping
every year about 100km day average, last year did Lejog instead at
120km per day with camping gear. Do occasional audaxes (only one this
year shame) and lots of weekend and evening belts. Aim at 100km on easy
day out, 25/50km in evening belt. Not much compared to keen audaxer or
clubber I know. But it's very hilly round here!

cheers

Jacob

Concerning the rude, crude and inappropriate reply:
Of course it doesn't make me feel welcome in this NEWSGROUP. But
nevertheless I choose to ignore such replies and focus on those nice
people who are trying to help.

Lucas

PS: Seen from my email - I'm from Denmark and danish is my mother
tongue. I truly regret if my english somehow upsets people.

[email protected] wrote:
> Concerning the rude, crude and inappropriate reply:
> Of course it doesn't make me feel welcome in this NEWSGROUP.

But which one is the source of unpleasantness... it's crossposted to 4.

> PS: Seen from my email - I'm from Denmark and danish is my mother
> tongue. I truly regret if my english somehow upsets people.

There's nothing wrong with your english, just some folks' manners.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article
<[email protected]>,
Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Um, since this was posted as a reply to ME, I'll point out that my little
> > flame was directed at Donald Munro (who called your friend a "dumbass" {sic}
> > and suggested he ride a seatless post) and /not/ the OP (Lucas).

> Emmerduer,
> Get yourself a decent newsreader - it was posted as a reply to
> lucasjensen ans shows up that way on both my newsreaders (pan and emacs)
> as well as groups.google.com. Perhaps you should stick to responding to
> helmet thread trolls instead.

No it was not, it was in reply to "Bill Sornson". Since
you presumably have a decent newsreader examine the
'In-Reply-To:' header.
Now look up <[email protected]>.

--
Michael Press

Peter Clinch wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Concerning the rude, crude and inappropriate reply:
>> Of course it doesn't make me feel welcome in this NEWSGROUP.

> But which one is the source of unpleasantness... it's crossposted to
> 4.

All pretty appropriate, however. I find it worse when people post the same
thing to a bunch of newsgroups /separately/, so the replies end up mixed 'n
matched.

>> PS: Seen from my email - I'm from Denmark and danish is my mother
>> tongue. I truly regret if my english somehow upsets people.

> There's nothing wrong with your english, just some folks' manners.

"Donald Munro, white COURTESY phone please!" <eg>

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Your initial reply to the OP was rude, crude AND inappropriate; otherwise,
> good one! <eg>

Dumbass,
If he crossposted to rbr he should expect rude and crude responses.
Anyway dumbass is a term of endearment on rbr.

> So why didn't /you/ answer my question? Were you dropped on your head as a
> kid or just picked on unmercifully?

No Tammy Thomas tried to rape me so she could use the morning after pill
excuse for doping.

Anyway if the OP really wants a suggestion maybe he should try the Fizik
Arionne.

Bill Sornson wrote:

> All pretty appropriate, however. I find it worse when people post the same
> thing to a bunch of newsgroups /separately/, so the replies end up mixed 'n
> matched.

Oh, agreed, but reference to "this newsgroup" does become a little less
meaningful.

Pete.
--

Donald Munro wrote:

> Donald Munro wrote:
>>> Get yourself a decent newsreader - it was posted as a reply to
>>> lucasjensen ans shows up that way on both my newsreaders (pan and
>>> emacs) as well as groups.google.com. Perhaps you should stick to
>>> responding to helmet thread trolls instead.

> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Your initial reply to the OP was rude, crude AND inappropriate;
>> otherwise, good one! <eg>

> Dumbass,
> If he crossposted to rbr he should expect rude and crude responses.
> Anyway dumbass is a term of endearment on rbr.

Guess that's why I deleted it from my subscribed list after about two days.
:-D

>> So why didn't /you/ answer my question? Were you dropped on your
>> head as a kid or just picked on unmercifully?

> No Tammy Thomas tried to rape me so she could use the morning after
> pill excuse for doping.

That's rough, man. {cue sappy music}

> Anyway if the OP really wants a suggestion maybe he should try the
> Fizik Arionne.

Now was that so hard?!? :p

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> PS: Seen from my email - I'm from Denmark and danish is my mother
> tongue. I truly regret if my english somehow upsets people.

Denmark is a fine country - land of my teenage son's favourite cycling
team... CSC
Not that you can tell he likes CSC... Cervelo bike in team colours... CSC
cycling kit... CSC drinks' bottles... CSC wallpaper on computer...

Cheers, helen s

Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
world would help me because the stress is just too high?.

stress on your butt? hmmm..
you need to treat the area,
I think a saddle is about 20% of it, like other people have mentioned,
"crotch maintainence" is the other %80 -
I've never ridden 125 miles a day for weeks, but I have done some
400 mile weeks, and some stage races with 100 mile stages.
What worked for me was DESITEN, the baby rash creme, I'm sure they
have an equivalant in your country and it's cheap (the assos stuff
and all the other expensive stuff is the same thing really)
it has some zinc oxide in it, spread it on your chamois before
you ride, and on your area after you ride whe you get out the shower,
it stops infections, heals cuts, irritations, whatever.
some triple antibiotic creme after if you get some sores.
no problems if you do it right.
cyclists are babies.

On 19 Aug 2005 01:02:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Least but not last: I described some butt problems. Is it completely
>normal that I have those problems and not even the best saddle in the
>world would help me because the stress is just too high?.
>
>stress on your butt? hmmm..
>you need to treat the area,
>I think a saddle is about 20% of it, like other people have mentioned,
>"crotch maintainence" is the other %80 -
>I've never ridden 125 miles a day for weeks, but I have done some
>400 mile weeks, and some stage races with 100 mile stages.
>What worked for me was DESITEN, the baby rash creme, I'm sure they
>have an equivalant in your country and it's cheap (the assos stuff
>and all the other expensive stuff is the same thing really)
>it has some zinc oxide in it, spread it on your chamois before
>you ride, and on your area after you ride whe you get out the shower,
>it stops infections, heals cuts, irritations, whatever.
>some triple antibiotic creme after if you get some sores.
>no problems if you do it right.
>cyclists are babies.

Well 'duh'! Of course cyclists are babies. Gotta have that special food,
special clothes, special sunscreen and ointments. Have to obsess about
hygiene, make sure the clothes are clean, the butt is clean, the feet are
clean. Shaving down, massages, icepacks, pain meds. Special sunglasses,
several types, including clear for those darker days. Bike's gotta be
perfect. When the ride's over, have to have the recovery drink within 30
min to an hour, gotta take the vitamins, gotta diet, can't eat just
anything. No alcohol, gotta get those extra hours of sleep. Sheesh, it
never ends, lol. Gotta love it.

jj

Very good choice (probably!). It will be uncomfortable for the first
1000miles - but won't get any worse! and will get better thereafter.
Small adjustments to angle seem to make a big difference on my very
similar Brooks Professional so keep your allen key handy.

bon voyage

Jacob