Saddle for upright rider

MiamiMathGirl

Jun 30, 2011
Hi folks,

I searched the archives and couldn't find a recent thread on this particular topic. If I missed it, I apologize.

I did my first 17 mile ride today on my new Trek Navigator 1.0. I had the saddle, pedals, and handlebar fitted when I bought the bike, but my tailbone and sit bones are in horrible pain. I am a plus size girl with a wide bum so the saddle is a little narrow for my tastes.

I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on looking for a more comfortable saddle for this bike. It is categorized as a comfort bike and sits upright.

I was looking at this as a possible candidate: http://www.amazon.com/Large-Sofa-Gel-Comfort-Seat/dp/B000TD24VG/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

I'm quite the novice, so any tips are appreciated greatly.

Thanks!

E.

Generally speaking, the more upright the position, the wider the saddle needs to be, as you sit on a wider part of your pelvis.
Although it seems counterintuitive, avoid very soft squishy saddles as you will "bottom out" (sorry for the pun) the cushioning and end up sitting on the hard plastic shell. Firmer padding will feel a bit hard for the first 5 minutes or so, then you stop noticing it.
Some people like the leather Brooks saddle, once they break in. Me, I could never get one broken in enough, but that's another (rather expensive) option you could try.
Unfortunately, an upright position doesn't allow you to transfer any of the weight load to your arms or shoulders, so you may feel more saddle sore on a bike of that type than on one where you're leaning forward a bit. Also unfortunately, you may have to try a few saddles to find one you like. Many long time cyclists have a saddle bucket in the basement or garage filled with seats that weren't quite right for them.

Thank you so much for your detailed and thorough response. I'll look for a wider firmer saddle today. I have to stop by the bike shop anyway to get my trunk mount readjusted and my front brakes looked at.

I was thinking of a really cushy saddle, but it makes sense to look for a firmer one instead for longer rides.

Originally Posted by nuliajuk .

Generally speaking, the more upright the position, the wider the saddle needs to be, as you sit on a wider part of your pelvis.
Although it seems counterintuitive, avoid very soft squishy saddles as you will "bottom out" (sorry for the pun) the cushioning and end up sitting on the hard plastic shell. Firmer padding will feel a bit hard for the first 5 minutes or so, then you stop noticing it.
Some people like the leather Brooks saddle, once they break in. Me, I could never get one broken in enough, but that's another (rather expensive) option you could try.
Unfortunately, an upright position doesn't allow you to transfer any of the weight load to your arms or shoulders, so you may feel more saddle sore on a bike of that type than on one where you're leaning forward a bit. Also unfortunately, you may have to try a few saddles to find one you like. Many long time cyclists have a saddle bucket in the basement or garage filled with seats that weren't quite right for them.

Hi. If you would like to try a firmer saddle, I have a Brooks...B-73, "honey"
which I bought years ago new, but could not learn to like, even after I changed
the two rear springs to a weaker rate, which would "move" in service.

You are in Miami? You are welcome to try this saddle out, as I have no use for it.

BTW, my Trek Lime's OEM saddle is busted (by a bike thief),
so, I have on order, a men's Sunlight comfort seat.

I have found, as an upright, laid back rider, four to eight miles per day,
I like a cushy saddle for my thin and not-fatty butt.

PM if you'd like to try a men's Brooks B-73. Can drop the thing off at Highgear in The Grove,
and you could borrow it from there, at your convenience, worth a try. It is the old school mounting,
to a plain post, you know, not to a modern post like your Trek features.

I liked the Trek Lime Lite's standard saddle. It is smooth, firm, yet padded.
Got about 1,200 miles on it now, but its horn was broken, somehow, by the bike thief
(bike got returned by Highgear Cycling to myself, thanks MPD, too)

Sunlite, for instance, has several saddles in this range.
I have ordered the men's version. There is a much wider one for women,
and also a middle-width, super-padded one for casual cruiser riders, unisex.

We'll see in a few weeks if this suits as I think it will me, a 145lb thin man,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AOA66Y