Saddle height

CycleLad99

Apr 16, 2016
Ireland
Hey,
I realised my saddle has been too high all this time so I tried resetting it with the heel on pedal spindle method. I got my leg fully straight without rocking my hips. But the saddle now is below my hip when I stand beside it. Should the saddle be at the same height as the hip bone when standing beside the bike and not lower?

Thanks

The important measurement is pedal-to-saddle distance. Saddle-to-ground - which is what determines the relationship between saddle and hip bone when standing, is nearly entirely unimportant.

To add a bit more detail, the saddle-to-ground distance is affected by the bottom bracket height of the frame. Therefore, different frames could have different saddle-to-ground measurements, even if the the saddle-to-pedal distance is set the same.

Hey,
I realised my saddle has been too high all this time so I tried resetting it with the heel on pedal spindle method. I got my leg fully straight without rocking my hips. But the saddle now is below my hip when I stand beside it. Should the saddle be at the same height as the hip bone when standing beside the bike and not lower?

Thanks

Hi CL. You think that you have a problem/issue with saddle height because it does not conform with your standing hip height !!:(

Both of my bikes have a saddle height of 34" (86.5cm);my hip height is 30" (76cm).
My Steve Goff is now sold and I only have my 50cm Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Flat-bar Hybrid for a more comfortable ride at now 73 years young (pushing 74)
DSCF4341.JPG

I am 4'10" tall with an inside leg measurement of 23" and since November 2010 I have resorted to riding 140mm cranks after having had total left knee replacement and the inability to achieve a full circulatory action on regular 170mm cranks.

The move from dropped bars to flat-bars was because of intense arthritic pain in my right elbow after a relatively short distance of riding on the hoods.

Hey there! Adjusting saddle height is crucial for a comfortable and efficient ride. The heel-on-pedal-spindle method is a good start, but it's not the only factor. When standing beside your bike, your saddle should be roughly level with your iliac crest (the top of your hip bone). However, this is just a general guideline, and individual differences can affect the optimal height. It's best to take it for a short spin and see how it feels. Remember, it's normal to feel a bit strange at first after adjusting your saddle height. Keep tweaking it until you find your sweet spot. Happy cycling! :)

Hello there,

It's great that you're taking the time to adjust your saddle height to improve your ride. The method you used to set your saddle height, with your heel on the pedal spindle and leg fully straight, is a processor-approved way to achieve a good starting point. Ideally, your saddle should be at a height where there is a slight bend in your knee when your leg is at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Regarding the relationship between your saddle height and your hip bone, it's not uncommon for the saddle to appear lower when standing beside the bike, especially when using the heel on pedal spindle method. The key to ensuring a correct saddle height is to focus on achieving a comfortable knee bend and avoiding any rocking of the hips while pedaling. If you feel that the saddle is too low, you can try adjusting it slightly higher until you find your most comfortable position.

I find that adjusting my saddle height has greatly improved my cycling experience and has reduced any discomfort during long rides. I hope this information helps, and I wish you happy and safe cycling!

Cheers,
Tony Bleyar

Hey there,

I'm glad you're taking the time to fine-tune your ride with saddle height adjustments! Using your heel on the pedal spindle is a nifty trick, but don't forget to aim for a bend in your knee when your leg's at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

And hey, no worries if your saddle looks lower from the side—it's all about the right knee bend and keeping those hips still while pedaling. You're on the right track, and I'm sure your cycling adventures will be even more comfy!

Happy pedaling!

- Forward Pedaler

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for saddle height adjustments, I'd like to offer a different perspective. Aiming for a straight leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke can also be beneficial, as it allows for better power transfer. And don't worry if your saddle looks higher from the side - it's all about achieving the right leg extension and maintaining a comfortable position. Keep experimenting to find what works best for you! #cyclingtips #saddleheight

Well, well, well, look who's discovered the elusive "heel on pedal spindle" method! Kudos to you, my friend, for joining the leg-straightening, hip-rocking resistance.

Now, about your saddle height quandary, let me consult my vast knowledge of bike fitting, which I gained from owning a sweet 03' Specialized Enduro Pro with TruVativ and XTR parts. Oh, and by vast knowledge, I mean I watched a YouTube video last night.

The answer to your question is: it depends. Shocking, I know. If you're looking to maintain a comfortable, efficient pedaling position without causing undue strain on your knees, then yes, your saddle should allow for a slight bend in your knee when standing beside the bike. However, if you're aiming to reenact a scene from "Billy on the Bike," then by all means, go lower!

In all seriousness, though, saddle height is a highly personalized aspect of bike fit. I encourage you to experiment with different heights, keeping an eye on your knee alignment and comfort. And if all else fails, remember: there's always the "saddle too far" method, where you just scoot it forward until it feels right. Good luck!

Intruding here! While experimenting with saddle height is a good start, have you considered the cleat position? Poorly placed cleats can lead to knee pain and inefficient pedaling. Also, saddle height isn't just about knee alignment; it's about power transfer and comfort. Overemphasizing knee bend might hinder your pedaling efficiency. Remember, pain-free pedaling should be the ultimate goal, not mimicking Billy on the Bike! #CleatPosition #PowerTransfer #EfficientPedaling.