saddle help...numbness

shming123

May 1, 2004
Ok, first of all, is numbness normal when riding? It seems if I find a saddle that I can avoid numbness with (Specialized Toupe), then I have chafing with the skin and the edges and center cutout on the seat. Then when I find a seat that I have no chafing, I get numbness. (Fizik Aliante or Selle San Marco Aspide arrowhead FX). Any advice? The best and most comfy saddle I thought was the Specialized Toupe, but I pretty much had chafing everywhere here and there (in very small areas down by my bits and pieces), and if I moved on the saddle to change positions, then it would chafe a little somewhere else.

Is it always going to be like this?

Hi i had a similar prob and ended up with the Selle italia Gel seat, used by many pro's. Once it was bedded in it remembers your shape so its like sitting on a sofa! Plus its quite long so it gives you some allowance for movement if you feel the need. As for the chaffing i ALWAYS use embrocation saddle cream. Mine is almost like a parafin based product and stops any soreness whats so ever. Sometimes the numbness can be attributed to sitting still for too long, so be a little more active and shuffle that rear end about every now and again. Hope everything gets better . cheers

Well, I'm not really sure what chafing is from. Even if I use a ton of Bag Balm, or vaseline, + lots of chamois cream, I still get little chaf spots. They're small, only about the size of a pea, but its in the crack between my legs, and even small spots on the scrotum due to the cutout in the middle. I guess I'd rather take numbness over chafing, but I can't just keep buying saddles! lol.

have you tried the fizik arione? it doesnt have a cutout in it and its comfy for me, but then again 1 saddle is not for everyone.

If you're not some weight reduction freak, then try a terry saddle, they have a nice surface area for and a nice cut out... it seems to be working for me, but who knows, it could be different for you. bottomline, i hear terry is pretty successful in reducing numbness, chafing... etc.

sorry, the men's liberator or men's liberator gel. I have the non gel one. I might return the non gel and see what the gel feels like... sometimes i feel reluctant to use gel cuz it might end up placing more pressure in certain areas, but i might give it a try and see what happens. I had chafing and numbness with my old saddle and i havent experienced numbess yet (had the saddle for about 3 weeks) or chafing. Make sure you're bibs arent too loose either, that could do it... and try chamois creme.

shming123 said:
Well, I'm not really sure what chafing is from. Even if I use a ton of Bag Balm, or vaseline, + lots of chamois cream, I still get little chaf spots. They're small, only about the size of a pea, but its in the crack between my legs, and even small spots on the scrotum due to the cutout in the middle. I guess I'd rather take numbness over chafing, but I can't just keep buying saddles! lol.

Sorry, i keep posting, ha. what creme's have you tried? i heard ASSOS is really good. Dude i really don't think you want numbess over chafing, especially if you have a date that night, lol. It's hard to believe you'd experience chafing from the cut out of the saddle on your scrotum. I mean, you should have a reasonable amount of padding there and maybe if its too loose its sinking into the cut out which wil then chafe you.. or maybe your pad is pretty shot?

shming123 said:
I'd rather take numbness over chafing, but I can't just keep buying saddles! lol.
For your long term health, putting up with the numbness is not a good idea. Some stores will allow you to test saddles. What works for one person may will not work for everyone, but there is a saddle that will work for you. There are saddles, like the E3 (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20853&subcategory_ID=10050), that do not have cut outs but are supposed to prevent numbness. Specialized has saddles that come in different widths so that you can get the width that matches the spacing of your sit bones. Unfortunately, finding the right saddle it is a matter of trial and error.

i have the Specialized Toupe and Fizik Aliante on my bikes, and no numbness or chafing at all. and i don't use top-of-the-range shorts/bib either.

in regard to the Toupe:

1. have you been fitted to the correct width?

In regard to both saddles:

1. have you tried adjusting the angle of the saddle to find an angle that minimises/eliminates both numbness and chafing?

2. are you sitting/positioned correctly on your saddle and is the saddle fore/aft adjustment optimised for you?

i recall when i first bought those two saddles, it took me about two rides plus a bit of time on a trainer to find the right fore/aft/tilt position.

boon