Saddle Help or Advice

Brian

Guest
I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving me
chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem. Is
there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

In article <[email protected]>, Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the
>specialized saddles?

I like the Selle Italia Flite line of saddles. They are narrow to avoid chafing your bike cycling
legs. They have a variety of models, some with padding, some with gel inserts, some with cut outs,
some with combinations of the above. There should be something in there for you.

Actually, according to the consensus of this group, and my own experience,, softness is not what you
really want, but support.

Look for a saddle that supports your "sit bones", yet spreads the point of contact out somewhat.
Like a well formed (I don't like the term 'broken in") leather saddle does.

You mentioned that the narrower saddles fit better, you might want to try some of the models that
have a thin elastomer foam or gel, if you don't want to deal with leather.

Your best bet is to do what you've been doing. Try different saddles until you find one that fits
YOU. Nobody's butt's the same.

Brian wrote:
>I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving
>me chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
>contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem. Is
>there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
>saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

Try this KHS saddle:

http://tinyurl.com/b8uz

Not affiliated with Getawaybikes.

Spacey

Velo plush has the fit you describe as well as the necessary "channel". Murray

On Thu, 08 May 2003 01:37:31 GMT, Spacey Spade <[email protected]> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>>I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving
>>me chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
>>contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem.
>>Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
>>saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

>Try this KHS saddle:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/b8uz
>
>Not affiliated with Getawaybikes.
>
>Spacey

bkey-<< Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the
specialized saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much
appreciated.

Before swapping saddles, get a good bike fit. In my experience, most uncomfortable saddle problems
are fit issues, not saddle design issues.

RE/
>You mentioned that the narrower saddles fit better, you might want to try some of the models that
>have a thin elastomer foam or gel, if you don't want to deal with leather.

Also, look underneath the saddle when judging width.

Something like, for instance, WTB's Speed-V has a soft area inboard, but is hard as a rock on the
perimeter. IMHO you want your sit bones well into the soft area and not getting gouged by the edges
or sitting on same.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Pete is right. In my case, my saddle was too high causing slight rocking from side to side. This
lead to chafing and poor weight distribution. Lowering my saddle only 1/4" made everything perfect.
Spinning a lot better as well! Good luck, AL

Murray wrote:

>Velo plush has the fit you describe as well as the necessary "channel". Murray

Here's a nice picture of a Velo Plush D2

http://tinyurl.com/bcgj

aka.

http://www.bike- mailorder.de/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=530&PHPSESSID=4e87c6a270dc2c1ddb25
47c988e27a3f