Saddle Help or Advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian, May 7, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving me
    chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
    contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem. Is
    there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
    saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Brian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the
    >specialized saddles?

    I like the Selle Italia Flite line of saddles. They are narrow to avoid chafing your bike cycling
    legs. They have a variety of models, some with padding, some with gel inserts, some with cut outs,
    some with combinations of the above. There should be something in there for you.

  3. Actually, according to the consensus of this group, and my own experience,, softness is not what you
    really want, but support.

    Look for a saddle that supports your "sit bones", yet spreads the point of contact out somewhat.
    Like a well formed (I don't like the term 'broken in") leather saddle does.

    You mentioned that the narrower saddles fit better, you might want to try some of the models that
    have a thin elastomer foam or gel, if you don't want to deal with leather.

    Your best bet is to do what you've been doing. Try different saddles until you find one that fits
    YOU. Nobody's butt's the same.

  4. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Brian wrote:
    >I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving
    >me chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
    >contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem. Is
    >there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
    >saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

    Try this KHS saddle:

    http://tinyurl.com/b8uz

    Not affiliated with Getawaybikes.

    Spacey

  5. Murray

    Murray Guest

    Velo plush has the fit you describe as well as the necessary "channel". Murray

    On Thu, 08 May 2003 01:37:31 GMT, Spacey Spade <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brian wrote:
    >>I'm having saddle problems. I currently ride a 2002 Specialized Comp. saddle that has been giving
    >>me chaffing since I increased my mileage. I tried a Selle San Marco Era saddle and found it to
    >>contirbute to some numbness, although the narrowness of the saddle relieved my previous problem.
    >>Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the specialized
    >>saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much appreciated.

    >Try this KHS saddle:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/b8uz
    >
    >Not affiliated with Getawaybikes.
    >
    >Spacey

  6. bkey-<< Is there a saddle that is narrow to moderately narrow that provides cushion like the
    specialized saddles? Any recommendations for saddles? Any experiences? Any help would be much
    appreciated.

    Before swapping saddles, get a good bike fit. In my experience, most uncomfortable saddle problems
    are fit issues, not saddle design issues.

  7. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >You mentioned that the narrower saddles fit better, you might want to try some of the models that
    >have a thin elastomer foam or gel, if you don't want to deal with leather.

    Also, look underneath the saddle when judging width.

    Something like, for instance, WTB's Speed-V has a soft area inboard, but is hard as a rock on the
    perimeter. IMHO you want your sit bones well into the soft area and not getting gouged by the edges
    or sitting on same.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  8. Aljan12

    Aljan12 Guest

    Pete is right. In my case, my saddle was too high causing slight rocking from side to side. This
    lead to chafing and poor weight distribution. Lowering my saddle only 1/4" made everything perfect.
    Spinning a lot better as well! Good luck, AL

  9. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Murray wrote:

    >Velo plush has the fit you describe as well as the necessary "channel". Murray

    Here's a nice picture of a Velo Plush D2

    http://tinyurl.com/bcgj

    aka.

    http://www.bike- mailorder.de/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=530&PHPSESSID=4e87c6a270dc2c1ddb25
    47c988e27a3f