saddle opinions, all leather?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by philso, Oct 11, 2005.

1. philso

philso New Member

yes, i know that saddle threads are on about every other page or so, but...

pretty much everyone who has ridden any length of time has been through at least several saddles. and of course, the only real advice for others is: "you've gotta ride it to see if it works for you or not."

my question is this: how many who have ridden all-leather brooks style saddles have found them to be uncomfortable and switched back to the more common built-over-plastic models.

i myself rode various typical saddles for maybe 10 -12 years, then tried a less expensive brand (bimm ?) leather saddle that was on sale. at first i wasn't too good taking care of it and it started cracking after 3 or 4 years i think. since then i've been riding brooks narrows and have never looked back.

how about you?

Tags:

2. huhenio

huhenio New Member

Just learning about saddles ... I like the looks of the Selle and Brooks, but I need a bike worth of the saddle!!!

3. mstone

mstone New Member

Brooks Champion Flyer first coil spring saddle I've owned since my fat tired Schwinn in the fifties. Love it!

4. insideout

insideout New Member

I've ridden WTB saddles for several years with no complaints. Recently however, I decided to buy myself a Brooks Swift with some birthday cash.

It has taken some getting used to, left a few sores on my ass, but I love it nonetheless.

5. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

I have a Brooks B-17 on each of my bikes, and I'm delighted.

6. lehowe0

lehowe0 New Member

I'd love to try out one of the Brooks, but I don't want to spend that much, and then find that I don't like them. Anyone have any idea why they're so expensive?

7. obeeone

obeeone New Member

I Have ridden uncomfortable saddles for years until I finaly broke down and purchased a Brooks swift. My second ride on the Brooks was a century and boy did it feel good. Love em don't see what the contraversy is all about.

8. swg

swg New Member

Brooks was the way to go for me. Can't get over the difference. It did take a little breaking in, but now it's awesome. They have a money back guarantee if you are worried. Mine is a B-17, and it's awesome! Thanks Brooks.

9. philso

philso New Member

sure you can buy a $25 no name saddle on sale for $15 on-line. maybe you'll luck out comfortwise. i'm guessing many people spend in the $40 - $50 range for what looks like a might-be-comfortable saddle. a lot of people spend $100+ for something for their higher end bikes. and of course you can spend between $200 - $400 for saddles using titanium or carbon fiber. as far as brooks saddles go, most people probably use the B17, which runs about $70 or so. Pricewise, you could call it a mid-level saddle.

the point of my query here is that many people have to go through several saddles before they find one that they really like as far as comfort goes. so over the years, it's easy to spend 1 or 2 hundred bucks. my general impression over the years has been that possibly no one who has broken in a brooks or similar saddle has found them to be uncomfortable. but that's just my impression, so i'm looking to see what people actually have to say.

10. swg

swg New Member

Brooks PERIOD!!!

11. meehs

meehs New Member

I have Brooks B17's on the two bikes that I ride the most. The only bike I don't have one on is my mountian bike and I don't really ride it all that much anymore. The B17 is easily the most comfortable saddle I've tried especially after they're well broken-in. The only complaint I have about them is that they have a tendancy to squeak and when they do it drives me nuts.

12. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Why I don't have a Brooks or similar saddle:

Weight
    Looks
    Ruined by a little rain.

I've ridden them on friends' bikes; they're OK. I don't have comfort issues with my regular saddles; if I ever do maybe I'll overlook the other problems.

13. petesig

petesig New Member

Yes they are a bit heavy. But it's, what, 300g heavier? Is this really going to stop you on the hills?

Hey you're kidding. They look real cool! If you want a really minimalist look go for the Swift, or the Swallow ($$$$)

It'll take more than a little rain to ruin a Brooks. Riding in the rain is no risk. Leaving the bike out in rain overnight is not so good, but only if you ride it while wet and do this a lot. My first Brooks Competition had no wet weather care, was used for touring in all sorts of weather with no rain protection, and lasted happily for 20 years before being sold at a club auction due to an uncomfortable split around the side rivets. The latest Brooks saddles are getting better wet weather protection

Go for a Brooks to pamper your riding tush.

Cheers
    Peter

14. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I have Brooks, Wrights, and Lycett saddles ... but, I also have AND like the Fujita BELT saddles (see attachment) -- they are ALL great; but, I also ride on a San Marco Concor, still.

15. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Brooks are wonderful. You suffer in the beginning, then the saddle takes the shape of your butt. Think of it. You have your own, tailored seat.

They also last almost forever. And if taken care of they do not suffer from wet weather either!

When I can afford one I will buy one for each one of my bikes!

16. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

My saddles DON'T squeak ... but, if your saddles do, then you may be able to remedy it by "greasing" the nose bolt (presuming your saddle is securely fastened to the seat post AND the seat post to saddle connection isn't causing the squeaking) ...

Loosen the tensioning nut ... dab some grease on the bolt with a Q-tip wherever the bolt contacts the nose-piece & u-"bracket" and try to work it around ... re-adjust the tensioning nut.

What else is there on the saddle that can squeak?!?