Saddle Position and Knee Pain

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
I am relatively (completed one season) new to cycling so I would appreciate any advice...

I have been increasing my weekly training volume in the last couple weeks by about 30mins or so (total volume 7 hours). A very modest amount. I noticed that I had a slight discomfort in the back of my knee (difficult to locate but definately behind the knee). I spent some time last night reading though some cycling books and examining my bike fit. I had a professional fit "quick fit" when I bought the bike and went a whole season without pain but this odd discomfort would come up now and then when I made jumps in training volume. After going over my position, it seems that I had to reach alot (i.e., arms full extended without any bend) to get my hands on the handlebars, which is always annoying. From what I read, behind the knee pain can be a result of the saddle being too far back. So I slid the saddle forward, now I can reach the handle bars while still maintaining a slight bend in my arms. I hope this will also correct the slight knee discomfort. It also seems my hips are more stable, I used to have a very (almost unnoticable rocking). Does this make sense? I guess I don't really have a question, I just want to make sure I have made the right adjustments.

I had a similar problem with my new bike and lowered my seat a little and that seemed to help. Based on your post I guess I was extending a little more than I needed even though we used base measurements from the old bike. I also found that I had to pedal smaller gears when first starting my rides. I think warming up better helped the most...

EvilGoodGuy said:
I am relatively (completed one season) new to cycling so I would appreciate any advice...

I have been increasing my weekly training volume in the last couple weeks by about 30mins or so (total volume 7 hours). A very modest amount. I noticed that I had a slight discomfort in the back of my knee (difficult to locate but definately behind the knee). I spent some time last night reading though some cycling books and examining my bike fit. I had a professional fit "quick fit" when I bought the bike and went a whole season without pain but this odd discomfort would come up now and then when I made jumps in training volume. After going over my position, it seems that I had to reach alot (i.e., arms full extended without any bend) to get my hands on the handlebars, which is always annoying. From what I read, behind the knee pain can be a result of the saddle being too far back. So I slid the saddle forward, now I can reach the handle bars while still maintaining a slight bend in my arms. I hope this will also correct the slight knee discomfort. It also seems my hips are more stable, I used to have a very (almost unnoticable rocking). Does this make sense? I guess I don't really have a question, I just want to make sure I have made the right adjustments.

Lowering your seat and moving it forward are similar changes in adjustment in regards to how they affect the angle of your knee at the bottom of your pedal stroke. The hip rocking and the pain behind the knee are typically because your seat is a bit too high. There's a ton of methods to tell you how to adjust your seat height and fore/aft to the right position, however all methods are just guide lines. It's likely you'll need to change your seat position a bit.

If you make any changes, it's a good idea to do so in small adjustments at a time (ie, 5 mm or less per adjustment with one adjustment or less per ride).

Postie said:
Lowering your seat and moving it forward are similar changes in adjustment in regards to how they affect the angle of your knee at the bottom of your pedal stroke. The hip rocking and the pain behind the knee are typically because your seat is a bit too high. There's a ton of methods to tell you how to adjust your seat height and fore/aft to the right position, however all methods are just guide lines. It's likely you'll need to change your seat position a bit.

If you make any changes, it's a good idea to do so in small adjustments at a time (ie, 5 mm or less per adjustment with one adjustment or less per ride).
There are all kinds of advice and measurements that have worked for other riders. But the best solution for anyone looking to seriously enhance their comfort, performance and ride is to spend the doe for a good custom bike fit. Some of these guys really know their stuff and it can be worth every penny spent.

Thanks for the advice!

I am going to get a professional bike fit in March as well as lactate threshold testing and some other perks. The bike fit comes as part of my 8 week 2 times per week cycling training clinic.
The knee issues...I am wondering if I should expect immediate relief after the adjustment or if it takes time to readjust. I went for an hour on the trainer today and noticed the slight discomfort moved to the front of my knee, but by the end it was gone completely. So I wonder if I should slide it backward a bit or should I wait to see if the discomfort comes up again next ride?

EvilGoodGuy said:
Thanks for the advice!

I am going to get a professional bike fit in March as well as lactate threshold testing and some other perks. The bike fit comes as part of my 8 week 2 times per week cycling training clinic.
The knee issues...I am wondering if I should expect immediate relief after the adjustment or if it takes time to readjust. I went for an hour on the trainer today and noticed the slight discomfort moved to the front of my knee, but by the end it was gone completely. So I wonder if I should slide it backward a bit or should I wait to see if the discomfort comes up again next ride?
The disappearing knee pain could be just your body warming up and getting the joint(synovial) fluid moving. You may feel a noticable difference with an adjustment but the pain may return after your body has cooled down. As for immediate relief, it depends if there was any damage done to the tissues of the knee area that need to heal up. The bike fitter should be able to answer more of these types of questions. Good Luck.