Saddle position for aero

Cam Wilson

Guest
I recently put aero bars on my bike, got them properly fastened (they were loose to begin with, but
a bike shop recommended using pieces of old inner tube to build up the handlebar diameter - worked
like a charm)....

and then I ran into trouble with the saddle after a session in the aero position. I had another
thread going about this. There was numbness and discomfort "down there", if you get my meaning.

Thanks to the fellow who recommended the John Cobb website (bicyclesports.com) for tips on seat
repositioning. I tipped the seat slightly downward at the front and turned it a few degrees to the
right. This agreed with me pretty well during my ride today, with just a little of the
aforementioned discomfort. That went away when I just moved myself around on the saddle a bit. I
*DO* find that having the saddle slightly off-center creates a noticeable difference in support on
either side, but I guess that's something that I will get used to after a while.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on saddle positioning?

Thanks for the advice so far, and looking forward to more discussion on this topic.

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I recently put aero bars on my bike, got them properly fastened (they were loose to begin with,
> but a bike shop recommended using pieces of old inner tube to build up the handlebar diameter -
> worked like a charm)....
>
> and then I ran into trouble with the saddle after a session in the aero position. I had another
> thread going about this. There was numbness and discomfort "down there", if you get my meaning.
>
> Thanks to the fellow who recommended the John Cobb website (bicyclesports.com) for tips on seat
> repositioning. I tipped the seat slightly downward at the front and turned it a few degrees to the
> right. This agreed with me pretty well during my ride today, with just a little of the
> aforementioned discomfort. That went away when I just moved myself around on the saddle a bit. I
> *DO* find that having the saddle slightly off-center creates a noticeable difference in support on
> either side, but I guess that's something that I will get used to after a while.
>
> Any other suggestions or thoughts on saddle positioning?
>
> Thanks for the advice so far, and looking forward to more discussion on this topic.
>
> Cam

I recently bought a bike that put's me in a more aero position than before, with my bck much closer
to being flat than in the past. This seems to put more pressure on the perineum than my old bike,
and I don't think the no-frills basic seat is helping. I'm about to try a Selle San Marco Gelaround
Aero seat, which has a cutout section. Once i get it and try it, I'll let you know if it helps. I've
got this crazy idea that this November when i go to volunteer at IMFL, I'll stay over the next day
and sign up. I can't imagine 112 miles on he current saddle! Then again, the 112 miles on ANY saddle
seems a bit intimidating at the moment.

Tom

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Henderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently bought a bike that put's me in a more aero position than before, with my bck much
> closer to being flat than in the past. This seems to put more pressure on the perineum than my old
> bike, and I don't think the no-frills basic seat is helping. I'm about to try a Selle San Marco
> Gelaround Aero seat, which has a cutout section. Once i get it and try it, I'll let you know if it
> helps. I've got this crazy idea that this November when i go to volunteer at IMFL, I'll stay over
> the next day and sign up. I can't imagine 112 miles on he current saddle! Then again, the 112
> miles on ANY saddle seems a bit intimidating at the moment.
>
> Tom

yes, i thought of a saddle with a cutout, but i'm not about to invest in that until i know that i am
sticking with a particular aero bar and bike. i, too, can't see myself doing very long distances
with this issue at hand. best of luck signing up for IMFL!

Cam

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I recently bought a bike that put's
>
> Where did that apostrophe come from?

it's catching. and the illiterates shall inherit the earth :(

and you obviously aren't one of them... just being influenced by the proliferation of poor
grammar/spelling/punctuation that's *everywhere* - i've slipped up the odd time, too. i see it on
billboards, in magazines, newspapers.... sad. whatever happened to the basics in school? BTW, my
lowercase typing is a *choice* :)

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.