Saddle Position Question

grasshopperNC

Aug 9, 2003
I hope you guys can help! I'm new to riding - bought my first bike about a month ago. As I'm building time on the bike I'm noticing that my body seems to be "rolling forward" onto my pelvic bone. Very very uncomfortable - even with padded shorts! I took the bike to the shop that fitted me and she did say that my saddle was a little tilted. She made adjustments and I've been on two 1 hour rides since and the only difference I feel is that I'm not on the very front of the seat now - but there is even more pressure on my pelvic bone. I have lower back problems (crushed 4 and 5 lumbar 15 years ago). I thought my back was pretty strong - but this is a new position to try to hold for any length of time...I THINK that I'm flattening my body out over the bike when my back gets tired. I'm not sure that that's a wrong position though??

When you ride - does your back "round" over the saddle to the handles bar - or does it flatten out and stretch forward? Does that makes sense???

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me!

i i have post here (bikefit question) i just left a bike shop
that set me up, i needed a shorter stem. i had to play with seat
to get it in a comfy postition a slight tilt up for me. as far as your back goes it should flatten out as you ride more when
you ride your bike think of laying on it rather then sitting
tilt your pelvis foward that will help your back, with the long stem i had it wasnt comforatable for me to tilt pelvis, now it feels alot
better.you may also just need a differant saddle, maybe someone else here has more insight if this is no help good luck.

Right now I have a dolce with the cutaway. It's pretty soft and has a wide back to it. Other than the pelvic tilt thing I like the saddle. But this is enough pain to make me think of trying something different. It's not a soreness - it's just PAINFULL!

Check to see if you saddle is too high...that puts additional pressure on your sit bones. I take my allen wrench with me and periodically lower and raise it as little as 1/4 inch or as much as 1/2 if I find myself uncomfortable. It changes the dynamics (I ride 30 miles a day or more, so I spend over 1.5 hours on the bike). As long as you don't lower or raise it tooooo much, it also changes the dynamics involved with your legs giving you a little different workout, and changing the way you use your muscles.

Ultimately I return it to the absolute correct position after a few days of change.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to get a stem with more of an upward angle to it. (forgive the lack of technical terms - I have no real idea what I'm talking about :) )

I showed some of the people I am riding with the difference in the two positions and they definately agreed that I'm laying too far forward rather than using the natural flexibility of my spine. So until I build strength and flexibility in my lower back I may need a stem that will let the handle bars sit a little higher.

I'm doing back strengthening exercises and they hurt like h#%*, (sore muscles) so I'm guessing I'm more weak then I thought I was.

Thanks for your help - this is pulling the pressure off the front of my seat more and making the rides overall more fun. I was getting worried for a while! I like riding so much - I don't want something like this to take me out of it!

It really sounds as if the fit on your bike is poor. The shop you bought it from needs to take the responsibility for getting you set up correctly on the bike, assuming that it's a reputable business. Is there someone else at this shop who can offer a second opinion?

If you're not confident in this shop's ability to resolve your problem, find a licensed cycling coach who should be able to get you sorted out. Back problems like yours need to be taken into account right from the start of the buying/fitting process. It's pretty clear, based on your posts, that you have a strength/flexibility issue that you can work on with a core strengthening program appropriate for your old injuries. A coach should be able to help you there too.

If you can't find a coach locally, find a good bike shop, preferably one with a team or a club, and get a refit done there. Ask locally for recommendations. You may have to pay for the fit, but it will be worth every penny in the long run!

Originally posted by serottarider
It really sounds as if the fit on your bike is poor. The shop you bought it from needs to take the responsibility for getting you set up correctly on the bike, assuming that it's a reputable business. Is there someone else at this shop who can offer a second opinion?

If you're not confident in this shop's ability to resolve your problem, find a licensed cycling coach who should be able to get you sorted out. Back problems like yours need to be taken into account right from the start of the buying/fitting process. It's pretty clear, based on your posts, that you have a strength/flexibility issue that you can work on with a core strengthening program appropriate for your old injuries. A coach should be able to help you there too.

If you can't find a coach locally, find a good bike shop, preferably one with a team or a club, and get a refit done there. Ask locally for recommendations. You may have to pay for the fit, but it will be worth every penny in the long run!

I wholeheartedly second your recommendation about getting fit to your bike. I paid to have my bike custom fit to me and the difference is like night and day. The man measured my inseam, my torso length, my arm length, asked what sized of shoes I wore. He then adjusted the bike to those measurements, then proceeded to measure the angle that my leg and hip were and the angle at my knees. I had been suffering MAJOR pain with my sit bones. He mostly raised up my seat dramaticly and installled a better seat. WOW! Biking was fun, at last. ( No more sitting on a pillow because of the pain)

I had a pro fitting done. I did go to a different shop this time. The difference is night and day! I'm so excited about it all now!!!! He lined every angle on my body up perfectly, and talked about exactly how to sit on the bike - had me ride as fast as I could, and slow and etc to make sure that my body could stay in the right position.

He changed almost every angle on the bike and my shoes!! I ended up with a shorter flat stem, and he lowered the seat and tilted it up. I was so happy by the time it was all over I could've kissed him!!!! All of the pain is gone - AND I feel like I have control of the bike now, instead of just being along for a scary ride!

Again thank you so much for the advice - it's thus far the best time I've spent on a bike!!!

Hi Grasshopper,

I'm really pleased that you had such a great fitting experience. Fit is so important and when you find a real expert it's literally a "night and day" experience.

Don't forget to recommend him to other folks that you ride with, and remember that you may need to have your position adjusted in a few months as your strength and flexibility improve.

Good luck!