saddle position

Caher

May 22, 2003
Hi all,
I was just wondering how important is it to sit as much above the bottom bracket as possible as advised by all the various experts?
I have a Kona which has a long top tube meaning that the seat is some way back from the bottom bracket. This is now exasperated by the fitting of a thudbuster, which has a rearward action as it compresses the parallelogram. To get a fit I’m used to I have pushed the seat as far forward as possible. If anything the frame is slightly smaller than my other bikes.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Caher.

Change the seat post, I have, I got me a Rockshox Zero Offset Seatpost for my Felt Trevisa, it now gives me a 75 degree effective seatpost angle, perfect...

I bought the thudbuster specifically to handle bumps and enable me to ride all day. Maybe I should add that I have an off-road bike.

What's important in positioning your saddle fore-aft is keeping your legs positioned correctly w/r/t pedals and BB. The rule of thumb on this is knees over pedal spindle. With your crank arm pointing straight forward (3:00), a plumb should fall from the front of your kneecap to the pedal spindle. That's a rule of thumb, ballpark approach... if your LBS has a good fitter they may have slightly different suggestions.

How important is it? If the long reach is causing you back pain (or numb/tingling hands, etc), it's pretty darn important. Positioning the saddle incorrectly can also result in knee pain. Fit is #1 in my book. If you don't have discomfort in your set up though, more power to ya.