saddle position

Sam

Guest
Hi,

reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at
the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..

thanks for replies. sam

In article <[email protected]>, sam <[email protected]> wrote:

>reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
>really make a difference ? if so, how ?

You might find this useful reading:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

> I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at the same height, for no other reason
> `cept I was told to..

And you probably found it comfortable, which many people do.

--Paul

"sam" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b30j6g$qh7$1$8300dec7 @news.demon.co.uk:
> reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
> really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at
> the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..

Depends alot on how hard you pedal. Tourists who generally spin easily and enjoy the scenery usually
prefer a higher handlebar (and shorter stem) for a more upright riding position.

Racers, who pedal alot harder, like a lower handlebar since it helps generate more power from your
back to your legs. When you're pedalling hard, much of your weight is on your pedals, not your back
or hands, so tush pain is not a problem.

Ken

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:plQ4a.32744$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
> >really make a difference ? if so, how ?
>
> You might find this useful reading:
>
> http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

I went with the Rivendell philosophy regarding frame size several years ago. I could not be happier.
I am not a racer, but a long distance cyclist.

sam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
> really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at
> the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..
>
> thanks for replies. sam

Umm.... "I have been riding for yonks" ?? Sorry, I only speak english, not British. I don't know
about seat height vs bar height being important. I'm only convinced that seat height and seat ANGLE
(I go for dead level to start) matter re: the condition of my butt, prostate, and knees. Seems the
saddle/bar height thing relates to what style of riding you are into. So... what is "yonks" ? Best
regards, Bernie

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:02:53 -0500, Ken wrote:

> Racers, who pedal alot harder, like a lower handlebar since it helps generate more power from your
> back to your legs. When you're pedalling hard, much of your weight is on your pedals, not your
> back or hands, so tush pain is not a problem.

This is nonsense. The lower handlebar position keeps you out of the wind. It does not "generate
more power". You do not transfer power from your back, which has little to give anyway, to your
legs. (How?) I don't know how much of any rider's weight is on their back, but somehow I would
think none...

None of that made any sense.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkein

yonks = donky`s years

when i first started riding to work, i got my first bike and it was set up at the same height, since
then, I have always set seat and saddle the same. I never bothered to try any other positions, so i
can`t say about `forearms becoming shorter` when the bars are lower.

thanks anyway, it`s very interesting

sam

Bernie wrote:

>Umm.... "I have been riding for yonks" ?? Sorry, I only speak english, not British. I don't know
>about seat height vs bar height being important. I'm only convinced that seat height and seat ANGLE
>(I go for dead level to start) matter re: the condition of my butt, prostate, and knees. Seems the
>saddle/bar height thing relates to what style of riding you are into. So... what is "yonks" ? Best
>regards, Bernie

Yonks is a long time much the same as "I've been riding for donkeys" Donkeys...ears, rhymes
with years.

--
Cheers Damian Harvey

Just call me Clyde.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b30j6g$qh7$1$8300dec7 @news.demon.co.uk:
> > reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at
the
> > same height. Does this really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have
been
> > riding for yonks, and have always set mine at the same height, for no
other
> > reason `cept I was told to..
>
> Depends alot on how hard you pedal. Tourists who generally spin easily
and
> enjoy the scenery usually prefer a higher handlebar (and shorter stem) for
> more upright riding position.
>
> Racers, who pedal alot harder, like a lower handlebar since it helps
generate
> more power from your back to your legs. When you're pedalling hard, much
of
> your weight is on your pedals, not your back or hands, so tush pain is not
> problem.
>
> Ken

Actually, the lower your position, the more your glutes are brought into play. The higher you sit,
the more your quads do the work. That's probably why (with aerodynamics) even the most fredly of
riders instinctively hunches over to go fast.

sam wrote:

> yonks = donky`s years
>
> when i first started riding to work, i got my first bike and it was set up at the same height,
> since then, I have always set seat and saddle the same. I never bothered to try any other
> positions, so i can`t say about `forearms becoming shorter` when the bars are lower.
>
> thanks anyway, it`s very interesting
>
> sam

Yes, language is interesting too. Will store "yonks" for future ref. Bernie

Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>"sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
>> really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at
>> the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..
>
>Depends alot on how hard you pedal. Tourists who generally spin easily and enjoy the scenery
>usually prefer a higher handlebar (and shorter stem) for a more upright riding position.
>
>Racers, who pedal alot harder, like a lower handlebar since it helps generate more power from your
>back to your legs. When you're pedalling hard, much of your weight is on your pedals, not your back
>or hands, so tush pain is not a problem.

OTOH, racers (and anyone who wants to go fast) don't want the bars that high because it means
they'll have to pedal even harder to maintain a given speed. That is to say, they'll be more
"comfortable" in a more aerodynamic position since they won't be working so hard to maintain their
required pace.

Plus, the harder you pedal, the less weight you put on your arms (effectively accomplishing the
same thing as moving the bars up, except that you also put less weight on your butt by pedaling
harder as well).

hehehe aint it just...

yonks=donkeys years = a long time

at the risk of making this extremely OFF TOPIC, do you have any similar phrases ?

sam

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"sam" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> OTOH, racers (and anyone who wants to go fast) don't want the bars that high because it means
> they'll have to pedal even harder to maintain a given speed. That is to say, they'll be more
> "comfortable" in a more aerodynamic position since they won't be working so hard to maintain their
> required pace.
>
> Plus, the harder you pedal, the less weight you put on your arms (effectively accomplishing the
> same thing as moving the bars up, except that you also put less weight on your butt by pedaling
> harder as well).
>
> Mark Hickey

Anquetil had his bars higher than any other rider and he had an aero position as he cruised past his
opponents in time trials. If your upper body weight is not supported by your arms, what is
supporting it? When you try to pull on the bars when pedaling harder where is the resultant strain
hinged? The answer is the lower back, now you know why medical experts are still seeking the cause
and cure for cycling's lower back pain. It is not the saddle position that needs correcting, it is
the pedaling, and then the saddle and bars will sort themselves out and back pain will be ended.

"sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
> really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine at
> the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..
>
> thanks for replies. sam

i start the riding season with my seat and bars at the same height. after getting back in the
groove, i can usually lower the bars an inch or two. on my mountain bike, the seat has to be at
least an inch lower than the bars, or i have too many problems with front end lift on climbs. it's
an individual preference thing. one poster on here stated that he runs his bars 8 inches lower than
the seat. i admire his flexibility! smokey

>t's an individual preference thing. one poster on here stated that he runs his bars 8 inches lower
>than the seat. i admire his flexibility! smokey

Actually it is more likely due to height and arm length. Tall riders generally run with more drop as
do riders with long arms.

I normally ride with 4 to 6 inches of drop between the seat and bars, however I am far from
flexible, I just have long arms and need somewhere to put them.

Jon Isaacs

[email protected] (smokey) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > reading in another post, someone mentioned keeping saddle and bars at the same height. Does this
> > really make a difference ? if so, how ? I have been riding for yonks, and have always set mine
> > at the same height, for no other reason `cept I was told to..
> >
> > thanks for replies. sam
>
> i start the riding season with my seat and bars at the same height. after getting back in the
> groove, i can usually lower the bars an inch or two. on my mountain bike, the seat has to be at
> least an inch lower than the bars, or i have too many problems with front end lift on climbs. it's
> an individual preference thing. one poster on here stated that he runs his bars 8 inches lower
> than the seat. i admire his flexibility! smokey

correction; i run my mountain bike seat 2 inches HIGHER than my bars to keep the front end down.

sam wrote:

> hehehe aint it just...
>
> yonks=donkeys years = a long time
>
> at the risk of making this extremely OFF TOPIC, do you have any similar phrases ?
>
> sam

A mixed breed dog is sometimes called a "Kinardly" because you can hardly tell what it is.