Saddle Pulls Shorts Taut

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RP10128, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. RP10128

    RP10128 Guest

    I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    minute workout ride. However, doing so causes my body to slide
    forward on the saddle. As a result, the saddle pulls the fabric in my
    shorts so taut that the skin in my crotch area hurts. I would like
    to stand up on the pedals and pull the fabric foward to relieve the
    pressure; but I don't seem to be able to stand up with only one hand
    on the handle bars.

    Do other people have this problem? Is it an indication that my
    saddle height is wrong or that the foward-backward positioning of the
    saddle is incorrect?

    Tags:

  2. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    RP10128 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    >minute workout ride. However, doing so causes my body to slide
    >forward on the saddle.

    Have you checked your saddle angle with a level? Many (to most)
    people find a level saddle position best. If nothing else, it's a
    good starting point from which to begin making adjustments.

  3. RP10128

    RP10128 Guest

    Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > RP10128 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    >>minute workout ride. However, doing so causes my body to slide
    >>forward on the saddle.

    > Have you checked your saddle angle with a level? Many (to most)
    > people find a level saddle position best. If nothing else, it's a
    > good starting point from which to begin making adjustments.

    My saddle clamp permits me to have the saddle slope either upward or
    downward (but not to have it level). I have the pulling problem both
    with the saddle sloping upward and with it sloping downardward.

  4. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    RP10128 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> RP10128 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    >>>minute workout ride. However, doing so causes my body to slide
    >>>forward on the saddle.

    >> Have you checked your saddle angle with a level? Many (to most)
    >> people find a level saddle position best. If nothing else, it's a
    >> good starting point from which to begin making adjustments.

    >My saddle clamp permits me to have the saddle slope either upward or
    >downward (but not to have it level). I have the pulling problem both
    >with the saddle sloping upward and with it sloping downardward.

    Might want to try a different seatpost--on with a clamp that allows a
    level seat (weird that yours doesn't).

    I'd bet somewhere shy of eight cents that we've just found the
    problem....

  5. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    RP10128 wrote:

    > I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75 minute workout ride.

    Why? It's good to get out of the saddle once in a while.

    > I would like to stand up on the pedals and pull the fabric foward > to relieve the pressure; but I don't seem to be able to stand up with only one hand on the handle bars.

    So, just stop for a second and adjust yer shorts.

    Art Harris

  6. App

    App Guest

    <snip>
    > Might want to try a different seatpost--on with a clamp that allows a
    > level seat (weird that yours doesn't).

    <snip>

    Not so weird - many posts have incremental adjustment that, with
    certain frame geometries, will not allow the seat to be level (Campy,
    etc....)

    Thomson posts, and those ones with that lame thumbscrew underneath (and
    others) all have "infinitely variable" seat angle that would allow the
    OP a level seat.

    App

  7. RP10128

    RP10128 Guest

    "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > RP10128 wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    >> minute workout ride.

    > Why? It's good to get out of the saddle once in a while.
    >
    >> I would like to stand up on the pedals and pull the fabric foward

    >> to relieve the pressure; but I don't seem to be able to stand up

    with
    >> only one hand on the handle bars.

    > So, just stop for a second and adjust yer shorts.
    >
    > Art Harris

    I could. But the whole point of an aerobic workout is to keep your
    heartbeat in a particular zone (and in particular, at 75% or more of
    its maximum beats per minute). Doing that supposedly causes your
    metabolism to change from buring carbohydrates to burning body fat
    which, after all, is what everyone wants to do.

  8. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    RP10128 wrote:

    > I could. But the whole point of an aerobic workout is to keep your heartbeat in a particular zone (and in particular, at 75% or more of its maximum beats per minute).

    Oh Jesus! Are you training for the Hour Record or something? Stopping
    for 2 seconds to adjust your shorts isn't going to compromise your
    workout. If I were you, I worry more about getting the saddle set up
    properly.

    Art Harris

  9. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    On 2005-06-30 11:38:19 -0700, RP10128 <[email protected]> said:

    > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > RP10128 wrote:
    >>
    >> I have been trying to remain seated during the entirety of my 75
    >>> minute workout ride.
    >>> Why? It's good to get out of the saddle once in a while.

    >> I would like to stand up on the pedals and pull the fabric foward
    >>> to relieve the pressure; but I don't seem to be able to stand up with
    >>> only one hand on the handle bars.
    >>> So, just stop for a second and adjust yer shorts.

    >> Art Harris
    >>

    >> I could. But the whole point of an aerobic workout is to keep your

    > heartbeat in a particular zone (and in particular, at 75% or more of
    > its maximum beats per minute). Doing that supposedly causes your
    > metabolism to change from buring carbohydrates to burning body fat
    > which, after all, is what everyone wants to do.
    >
    > Good God. Get your nose out of the book, Poindexter, you've lost touch
    > with reality.

  10. Given that you naturally slide forwards, and that you can't stand up
    without two hands on the bars, I'd say that your saddle is too far
    back. Try sliding it forwards a centimetre or two and see if that
    helps.

  11. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "RP10128" wrote: (clip) Doing that supposedly causes your metabolism to
    change from buring carbohydrates to burning body fat which, after all, is
    what everyone wants to do.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    (1.) I don't think it's true that your body starts burning fat at a
    particular exercise level.
    (2.) If you measure your heart rate, you will note that it does not drop
    instantly just because you pause for a few seconds. If it mattered, you
    could pick up your cadence for a few seconds just before stopping.
    (3.) If you were able to stand up, ride with one hand and adjust your
    shorts, you wouldn't be pedalling at the same time, so you might as well
    stop.
    (4.) After stopping, you have to accelerate to your old speed, so the extra
    effort should make up for the tiny break.

    If you wear boxer shorts, you might try wearing briefs, or no underwear with
    padded riding shorts.

    I do not recommend the kind of surgery that Lance had, although it could
    help. :)

  12. Per RP10128:
    >Do other people have this problem?

    If I stayed seated for 75 minutes I think I'd have all sorts of problems.

    Although there's probably a saddle adjustment issue tb addressed, I'd also say
    that you'd be better off all around to get out of the saddle every few
    minutes... or whenever the urge strikes. Just shift up about 4 gears and keep
    on truckin' for 10-20 strokes, and the shift/sit back down.
    --
    PeteCresswell