Saddle Question: Blackwell Rearch ISM Seat

Rich

Guest
Hello all. I'm new to the sport (though I've done a fair amount of
cycling on a road bike). My road saddle is a Selle Italia Flite
Genuine Gel (Kevlar/Titanium) and I have experienced a fair amount of
discomfort during the long rides. I'm not going numb anymore, but
"that spot" is growing more and more tender from being on the saddle
despite the ongoing ultra-fine tuning/adjustments. I'm considering a
new road saddle for it too, but ...

Yesterday, I bought an '06 QR Caliente. We changed the stock QR saddle
to a Fizik Arione Tri saddle, but, I don't think it's going to do the
trick either.

In addition to upgrading my shorts to either Louis Garneau Alveo or
Pear iZumi 0138's, I'm considering the ISM TRI seat I saw on p. 108 of
the Feb issue of Triathlete Magazine.

See it at: http://www.ismseat.com/images/Adamo-II-web-layout.jpg

Are they out yet and has anyone tried one? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
(disregard e-mail address ... dead address to prevent spam)

If you aren't comfortable on the Flite or the Arione, another saddle
isn't going to do it. I use the regular Arione find it extremely
comfortable in all positions: aero, hoods, drops. Although, saddles
are very personal between riders.

It sounds like your bike is not fitted properly to you. If everything
is fitted correctly you shouldn't even know the saddle is there. Have
you been professionally measured and fitted? If not, spend the $150
there. Not only will you get more comfortable, you will most likely
increase your wattage

Thanks DWJ. Yes, actually I was fitted on both. My Pinarello Paris
(road bike) was custom made me--fitted to each of my measurements, to
include seat adjustment which I played with to clear the numbing
(tilted seat forward by 1/32"). My Caliente is a perfect fit, fitted
by a FIST-certified fitter ... adjustments took about an hour. I guess
I'm just a little tender. For what it's worth, I've been off the
saddle for about 4 years ... just getting back on over the last 4
weeks. Could that be it? Thanks, Rich

Time out of the saddle could have something to do with it. Or, it
could just be getting used to a new saddle fit. Or both. I know that
when I first went to the Arione I wasn't sure if it was all that
comfortable. Then I went out and did a century. By the end of the
ride I was hooked.

You mentioned tilting your saddle. That can have a huge effect on its
comfort, especially if it moves your balance too far backwards or
forward. Most people I know set their Ariones so that the nose is
level (the front 50% to 60% of the saddle). I personally find this a
little too much tilt forward, but mine is pretty close to that.

Please forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by the following? "...
so the nose is level (the front 50% to 60% of the saddle)."

Put your bike on a level surface (as close to level as you can get).
Then, use a level to set your saddle tilt. On my Arione I lay the
level on top of the sadddle, along the center line, touching the tip
and tail. The tip is about 1/2 cm below level (I have to lift the
level about 1/2 cm above the tip to get the bubble in the middle of the
level).

Other people lay the level only on the top nose of the saddle (from
just above the seat post forward), and adjust that mearsurement to be
perfectly level. I find that just a bit too far forward, but if you
are in the aero position ALL the time it may not be that bad.

Once you find your correct tilt (and you should feel the difference
right away), then this will be a good measurement for replicating it in
the future.

Oh, and once you get the tilt correct, don't forget fore and aft. A
fraction of an inch to far forward can really be uncomfortable, as the
Arione "wings" will push into you. Correctly set up, you shouldn't
fell the saddle at all.

Good Luck!

You mentioned "that spot" and not sure if my problem was same as yours
(too much techy-terms and brand names I don't recognize)

Those "guy" seats with the cut out--they are fine when I wear cycling
shorts, but with less padded tri shorts I get terrible rash, blisters,
and pain around the edge. I tried several pairs of shorts till I
realized it was the SEAT not the shorts.

I'm 54, got my kid, don't worry about not producing more... so I gave up
the "guy-friendly" seats and problem is solved.
If your's is different problem... <Gilda Radner as Emily> Nevermind!!!
</Gilda Radner as Emily>

Eric

Rich wrote:
> Hello all. I'm new to the sport (though I've done a fair amount of
> cycling on a road bike). My road saddle is a Selle Italia Flite
> Genuine Gel (Kevlar/Titanium) and I have experienced a fair amount of
> discomfort during the long rides. I'm not going numb anymore, but
> "that spot" is growing more and more tender from being on the saddle
> despite the ongoing ultra-fine tuning/adjustments. I'm considering a
> new road saddle for it too, but ...
>
> Yesterday, I bought an '06 QR Caliente. We changed the stock QR saddle
> to a Fizik Arione Tri saddle, but, I don't think it's going to do the
> trick either.
>
> In addition to upgrading my shorts to either Louis Garneau Alveo or
> Pear iZumi 0138's, I'm considering the ISM TRI seat I saw on p. 108 of
> the Feb issue of Triathlete Magazine.
>
> See it at: http://www.ismseat.com/images/Adamo-II-web-layout.jpg
>
> Are they out yet and has anyone tried one? Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich
> (disregard e-mail address ... dead address to prevent spam)

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You mentioned "that spot" and not sure if my problem was same as yours
> (too much techy-terms and brand names I don't recognize)
>
> Those "guy" seats with the cut out--they are fine when I wear cycling
> shorts, but with less padded tri shorts I get terrible rash, blisters, and
> pain around the edge. I tried several pairs of shorts till I realized it
> was the SEAT not the shorts.
>
> I'm 54, got my kid, don't worry about not producing more... so I gave up
> the "guy-friendly" seats and problem is solved.
> If your's is different problem... <Gilda Radner as Emily> Nevermind!!!
> </Gilda Radner as Emily>
>

> Eric
>
> Rich wrote:
>> Hello all. I'm new to the sport (though I've done a fair amount of
>> cycling on a road bike). My road saddle is a Selle Italia Flite
>> Genuine Gel (Kevlar/Titanium) and I have experienced a fair amount of
>> discomfort during the long rides. I'm not going numb anymore, but
>> "that spot" is growing more and more tender from being on the saddle
>> despite the ongoing ultra-fine tuning/adjustments. I'm considering a
>> new road saddle for it too, but ...
>>
>> Yesterday, I bought an '06 QR Caliente. We changed the stock QR saddle
>> to a Fizik Arione Tri saddle, but, I don't think it's going to do the
>> trick either.
>>
>> In addition to upgrading my shorts to either Louis Garneau Alveo or
>> Pear iZumi 0138's, I'm considering the ISM TRI seat I saw on p. 108 of
>> the Feb issue of Triathlete Magazine.
>>
>> See it at: http://www.ismseat.com/images/Adamo-II-web-layout.jpg
>>
>> Are they out yet and has anyone tried one? Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>> (disregard e-mail address ... dead address to prevent spam)

Anyone else following this thread and feeling lucky?

I bought my Cervelo in 2002 with a stock Selle Italia saddle - not even sure
of the model. I haven't changed it, touched it, or adjusted it since the
day I brought my bike home and neither it, nor "that spot" have given me a
moment of trouble.

Thanks guys, you made my day. ;-)

John

Thanks DWJ.

Eric, I define "that spot" as "that area" between the back of my
scrotum and my butt hole ... there may be a more correct
anatomical/biological term for it, however, "that spot" worked at the
time. ;-) It gets pretty sensitive. I usually wear Performance Ultra
shorts ... the thickest pads they have; however, while at a reputable
tri-shop in Atlanta, I learned that I would likely be better off
switching to more densely-padded shorts, like the Louis Garneau Alveo
or Pear iZumi 0138's. It seems that they'd distribute more weight
across a larger surface area. This said, I have no idea how I'd feel
wearing the less-padded tri-shorts; I'm presuming that I'd feel even
more discomfort. Given that I'm just getting started with multisport
training, I haven't ventured to more esoteric clothing yet. I'm just
working on aero base building ... and "it" hurts. ;-) Rich

I know the spot ;-)

While we are all a little different anatomically, I still think you
need to play with saddle position. I am 51 and did a half iroman last
year with just a tri suit on (a pad about as thick as paper towel). I
didn't even notice the saddle that day, even though I was in the aero
bars for 99% of the bike. I used to wear thick padded shorts, but once
I go the Arione dialed in I am certain I could ride a century in a
speedo - although, at 51 there may (or should) be laws against that.

For you to have done a half ironman at 51, you surely look better than
I do at 40. I want to lose 20 pounds before competing in my first
sprint. I don't even have a race picked out yet--but I'm more
motivated/addicted than I've ever been. I'd like to spend even more
time on the saddle, which is why I asked the question. Thanks all...
Rich