Saddle Rails

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bousson, May 4, 2003.

1. bousson

bousson New Member

I have recently picked up a road bike after 5 years of riding a hybrid on the road or an MTB off road. I upgraded the MTB saddle for some additional cushioning and to relieve numbness. For the road bike, the stock saddle seems ok so far, but I was wondering what effect if any, the rail material may have on shock absorption.
    I thought I overheard a conversation in my LBS that Ti rails would give some additional flex, therefore better absorption compared to cromoly. I realize Ti has a weight advantage, but my concern is more comfort, than weight. Thx

Tags:

2. J-MAT

J-MAT New Member

Ti rails will flex more. They will also break eventually. I have broken a few saddles with Ti rails.

One of the most important features of a saddle is the base. Most are plastic or nylon. Nylon is better and more flexible. Push it with your thumb. Nylon will move, plastic is rigid.

Nylon + Ti rails, OK, plastic + Ti rails, bad.

I'm pretty big and one of the most comfortable saddles I have tried is the standard Sella Italia Flite with Ti rails. It has a nylon base, making this small saddle quite comfortable. I did 155 miles on one at a bodyweight of 188 lbs with no problems. My butt felt good enough to do 40 miles the next day!!!

Good luck!!!

3. bousson

bousson New Member

Thx for your response and input. I see a number of Sella Italia Flite saddles with Ti rails listed on some on line sites. Some w gel, some w/o. Which do you have? Do you have an opinion on the various models? I realize this is a very individual thing.

4. J-MAT

J-MAT New Member

Everybody has a preference for a certain saddle. Unfortunately, experimenting with saddles requires that you spend $50-$100 dollars to find out if it works.

I use the standard Flite. It's also the most inexpensive. You might want to check out the Sella Italia Turbomatic 4 with manganese rails. Indurain used a Turbomatic 4 to win 5 Tours!!! I had a Turbomatic on my first road bike in 1990. It was very comfortable.

Whatever you do, realize that no matter how well conditioned your butt is, there will be days that it will hurt or be uncomfortable. Be sure to give any saddle a fair shake over several rides before deciding.

Go to this link for some detailed saddle info:

http://www.selleitalia.com/products/scheda.php3?itemid=30

Good luck in your quest for comfort!!!