Saddle recommendations

serottarider

Jul 11, 2003
Hi there. I've tried a number of saddles over the years without too much luck, most recently a Selle Italia SLR - good for 2 hours, uncomfortable after that - and a Specialized BG Pro 01 which offers relatively little opportunity to move around the saddle.

Any thoughts on a 4 hour plus saddle?

Terry Liberator Comfort Ti

It's relatively light and very comfy

Wife has a Terry Butterfly Ti and she loves it.

Regards;

Selle Royal gel - sort of like the in-laws. Not too bad at first, but after a couple of hours, a real pain in the butt.

For me there's none better than a 'proper' leather saddle. I have a Brooks Professional. Not the lightest but not bad and very comfortable.

Started w/ a Koobi AU Enduro, and just couldn't get comfy. Call it general discomfort. I put about 250 miles on it, no good. Went to a Selle Italia Turbomatic Gel 3 (gawd, that's a lot to type), and it's marginally better. I have 80 miles on that so far. But it puts nastier pressure on 'the zone' though, and that has me concerned. I'm open to ideas...

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I've pulled my old Brooks Swift out of the attic and will give it a try. If that doesn't work a lot of the folks I've talked to swear by the Alliante....

I used to have a Turbomatic which is supposed to be one of the more comfy saddles out there, but I found that the front part of the saddle was too hard and uncomfortable. I am now using an Avocet O2 and I love it. Its light and is more flexible in the middle and front part. The only other saddle that I've liked in that aspect is the Selle Flite.

Originally posted by serottarider
Hi there. I've tried a number of saddles over the years without too much luck, most recently a Selle Italia SLR - good for 2 hours, uncomfortable after that - and a Specialized BG Pro 01 which offers relatively little opportunity to move around the saddle.

Any thoughts on a 4 hour plus saddle?

I ride a Selle Royale Shark...it the same company that makes Fizik saddles....this is the exact same saddle as the high end Fizik, at a fraction of the cost, and it is an awesome saddle.....I too do long rides, and if it didn't work, it would be gone !!!!:)

Originally posted by BaCardi
I used to have a Turbomatic which is supposed to be one of the more comfy saddles out there, but I found that the front part of the saddle was too hard and uncomfortable. I am now using an Avocet O2 and I love it. Its light and is more flexible in the middle and front part. The only other saddle that I've liked in that aspect is the Selle Flite.

I would have to agree with you there. The Avocet O2 is a good saddle, light and pretty comphy. I too had an old turbomatic 3 somthing or other, and ended up giving it to a mate before I lost all reprodctive ability!

I concur. Getting my wee wee numb is not a good thing! I'm on the Avocet now, but am interested in trying out one of them cut-out saddles to see what its like.

Okay, how many of you who listed their saddles as very comfortable on long rides are - how to put this delicately? - larger than the average bear?

I am 6'3", 240lbs and am looking for a comfortable, long distance saddle.

I currently ride 200+ miles per week on a Trek Navigator 300 comfort bike. I am going to buy a true roadie next year and I am sure with the reduction in weight, the improved geometry for long distances, I will easily increase that 200+ per week to near 300 per week.

I will need a very good saddle. Based on what I have learned so far, I am leaning towards a Brooks, but my purchase date is still about 9 months away.

Don't listen to anybody here. We're all different, needing different saddles. You just have to try.... Can be expensive, but when you finally have got a saddle that fits, it might last for several bikes...

I have a Terry Liberator on both my road bikes. I ride about 185-200 miles a week. No problems. Switched to them about a year after they came out. Good luck on your decision.

I'm currently riding a Selle Italia PROlink Gel and Ti Flite Gel Flow. The Flite Gel Flow is the newest and so far it is breaking in well. I have put many hours and miles on the PROlink Gel. For me, it seems to be the saddle that is lazy boy comfy w/ extra width for the "cheeks" and is the one I will compare all others to. I'm trying the Gel Flow out on the recommendation of a buddy and seems to be working nicely. Although its downfall might be the bike it is on. IMO, at this point it is not as comfy as the PROlink.

Scuba Steve