saddle recovering repair

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 19, 2006.

  1. The minkow specialized road comp saddle used here is under the 6th GOOP
    recoat-search- datakoll GOOP - in tech archives.

    Last coat cured for more than a week in hot temps of 80 alt0176 and
    higher. The coat was substantially more durable than the tube
    directions coat cure.

    Also, found dry conditions will prolong coat life.

    The coat just spread followed film experts suggested curing-
    thin first coat, allow to cure one week,
    fill holes bringing the holes' surfaces up to the level of the first
    coat, cure as before
    final coat.

    Coating with cool GOOP in cool temps then moving to a warmer airspace
    produces a self leveling effect

    See the search for further directions.

    Breaking the GOOP saddle in? cover with plastic grocery bag for first
    rides-kinda smooths out the GOOP .

    The minkow is outstanding-the spare is good but a 50 miler was
    butthurtin at 40: the minkow gives no pain at this distance.

    The minkow is durable-my miles are excessive-pthe goop produces an as
    new minkow-$5 v. $80.

    The stores had no recreational or marine goop this time so I tried
    household and itsa doing ok.

    HAPPY GOOPING TOYOU UNTILL

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > The minkow specialized road comp saddle used here is under the 6th
    > GOOP recoat-search- datakoll GOOP - in tech archives.
    >
    > Last coat cured for more than a week in hot temps of 80 alt0176 and
    > higher. The coat was substantially more durable than the tube
    > directions coat cure.
    >
    > Also, found dry conditions will prolong coat life.
    >
    > The coat just spread followed film experts suggested curing-
    > thin first coat, allow to cure one week,
    > fill holes bringing the holes' surfaces up to the level of the first
    > coat, cure as before
    > final coat.
    >
    > Coating with cool GOOP in cool temps then moving to a warmer airspace
    > produces a self leveling effect
    >
    > See the search for further directions.
    >
    > Breaking the GOOP saddle in? cover with plastic grocery bag for first
    > rides-kinda smooths out the GOOP .
    >
    > The minkow is outstanding-the spare is good but a 50 miler was
    > butthurtin at 40: the minkow gives no pain at this distance.
    >
    > The minkow is durable-my miles are excessive-pthe goop produces an as
    > new minkow-$5 v. $80.
    >
    > The stores had no recreational or marine goop this time so I tried
    > household and itsa doing ok.
    >
    > HAPPY GOOPING TOYOU UNTILL

    Are you talking about the GOOP that they sell to reupholster saddles? I was
    looking for some to reaffix the sole to my shoes. However, I was at the
    bicycle shop and was staring at the old tub of Conti tub glue, and I asked
    myself, "hmm... it's pliable when dry, reasonably strong, and holds up well
    until it heats up greatly. Why not give it a try?" I glued up my shoes
    using tubie glue and lo and behold, they work just fine!

    So next time you're gluing tubs, look for shoes that need gluing. I think
    that the GOOP is somewhat expensive, isn't it?

    What is minkow?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is minkow?

    Your tingling testes and prickling prostrate can allegedly seek relief
    from Dr. Roger Minkow and his Specialized saddles featuring the
    distinctive V-cut profile - aka the Minkow Wedge. Perhaps datakoll will
    substantiate this claim.

    Copied from cyberspace:
    Luke

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:02:20 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So next time you're gluing tubs, look for shoes that need gluing. I think
    >that the GOOP is somewhat expensive, isn't it?

    I get a small quantity of something from the local shoemaker. He
    pours it out of a gallon can. I think that it's called Barge cement.
    It seems to be super stick rubber cement. Needless to say, it's great
    for cementing leather and saddle repair. It's too thick to patch
    tires with.

  5. go with the Permatex 15 minute epoxy specifying rubber on the package's
    materials column
    we did a sole/upper glue discussion in shoe repair-
    Barge had advocates but Barge is not specific for rubber or rubber like
    materials

  6. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I went into the spec dealer for a feely-wanted to buy the T-saddle but
    > had no dealer dough. Found the road comp on web sale but the T's went
    > out of favour.
    > 1000% improvement over the firm, and somewhat firm hi end 10 speed
    > saddles shelved here.
    > The big time deal here in sunny south florida is AC!

    This saddle[1] supposedly delivers a blast of AC - CFC free! - like no
    other. And when riding sans fenders in the rain, the Flow Saddle is
    transformed into a bidet, permeating your pudendum in soothing streams
    of wheelspray. Or so reviewers attest...

    > Yes, Virginia, the cutout cools the pudendum, less moisture, less
    > bacterial (and viral) flow. this is very comfortable compared with the
    > san marco type 10 speed saddles
    > I had prostrates-wrong word but go with it-from bouncing off the nose.

    <snip>

    DK, if a nose is in the habit of contacting your prostrate then I
    suggest you consult a NG other than r.b.t. This forum is for bicycle
    related matters.

    Luke

    1.
    http://www.saddleco.com/why.html

  7. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Luke wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I went into the spec dealer for a feely-wanted to buy the T-saddle but
    >>had no dealer dough. Found the road comp on web sale but the T's went
    >>out of favour.
    >>1000% improvement over the firm, and somewhat firm hi end 10 speed
    >>saddles shelved here.
    >>The big time deal here in sunny south florida is AC!

    > This saddle[1] supposedly delivers a blast of AC - CFC free! - like no
    > other. And when riding sans fenders in the rain, the Flow Saddle is
    > transformed into a bidet, permeating your pudendum in soothing streams
    > of wheelspray. Or so reviewers attest...
    >

    >>Yes, Virginia, the cutout cools the pudendum, less moisture, less
    >>bacterial (and viral) flow. this is very comfortable compared with the
    >>san marco type 10 speed saddles
    >>I had prostrates-wrong word but go with it-from bouncing off the nose.

    > <snip>
    >
    > DK, if a nose is in the habit of contacting your prostrate then I
    > suggest you consult a NG other than r.b.t. This forum is for bicycle
    > related matters.

    Hey, Luke, half a smiley for the joke, but even I could decipher this
    bit of Gene's prose: "I had prostatitis from bouncing off the nose of
    the saddle"

    Mark

  8. we did a discussion of glues searching for a self sealing tube glue-the
    moisture screws up the bond, creepoing under the patch and...
    napa sells a tire glue that is tops but the bell glue holds its own-
    tube rubber specific
    the factor here is the pro patch's feathered edge giving more weight to
    the glue than the patch-once the feathered edge glues down solid then
    peel is less likely but not the tunneling from self sealer's moisture.
    for the cross country specialized 14 tubes one could approach super
    glue
    maybe in the super locktite range at locktite prices-super works
    1000%-maybe there's a hydrophobic super locktite suitable for rubber?
    would be interested in hearing an explanation of LBS barge

  9. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mark Janeba
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey, Luke, half a smiley for the joke, but even I could decipher this
    > bit of Gene's prose: "I had prostatitis from bouncing off the nose of
    > the saddle"
    >
    > Mark

    Yeah, I should've made more effort. I've been getting lazy ever since
    misplacing my datakoll/g.Daniels --> English dictionary.

    Luke