Saddle rubbing problem

theedge

Aug 30, 2003
Hi!

I've noticed my Selle Italia Flite Trans Am saddle is rubbing my left inner thigh occassionly when pedalling (when I sit back). There's some rubbing damage on my shorts already. I suspect my saddle is too wide.

Should I switch to a narrow saddle? or is it just normal wear of my bike shorts?

I'd try moving the nose of the saddle a couple of degrees to the right.

I switched to a narrower saddle on that account. Look for a wedged between sit bones/inner tights feeling. If getting in and out of the saddle is easy and smooth it may not be the saddle you just might have thick inner thighs

dhk said:
I'd try moving the nose of the saddle a couple of degrees to the right.

Should I do this by loosen the seatpost clamp on the frame and then rotate the whole thing?

spinerguy said:
I switched to a narrower saddle on that account. Look for a wedged between sit bones/inner tights feeling. If getting in and out of the saddle is easy and smooth it may not be the saddle you just might have thick inner thighs

Which saddle did u get? I am going to try out a few at my LBS.

Good day
Yes just rotate the post. It helps if you position yourself behind the bike eye level with the saddle looking that the nose points towards stem centerline.

As far as the new model can't recall the name but its made by Serfas w titanium rails and a cutout in the middle.

spinerguy said:
Good day
Yes just rotate the post. It helps if you position yourself behind the bike eye level with the saddle looking that the nose points towards stem centerline.

As far as the new model can't recall the name but its made by Serfas w titanium rails and a cutout in the middle.

I have had to rotate mine depending on the saddle. I found lowering the seat just a bit took care of it even better though.

spinerguy said:
Good day

Centerline is of course the neutral position, but if only the left thigh is rubbing, it's OK to move it to the right a couple of degrees....not everyone is perfectly square sitting on the bike.

theedge said:
Which saddle did u get? I am going to try out a few at my LBS.
I would suggest looking at a Specialized Alias seat. They are expensive (100 bucks), but come in three different sizes to properly fit your sit bones. I love mine.

theedge said:
Hi!

I've noticed my Selle Italia Flite Trans Am saddle is rubbing my left inner thigh occassionly when pedalling (when I sit back). There's some rubbing damage on my shorts already. I suspect my saddle is too wide.

Should I switch to a narrow saddle? or is it just normal wear of my bike shorts?

Where on your thigh is it. If you have an under saddle bag with a typical velcro strap which goes around the seatpost it could be from the velcro on the strap. I have rubs on all of my shorts from this and actually put a hole in my tights as well. I solved it by cutting the excess lenght off of the strap.