Saddle/shorts/HRM/Training Tips ? Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jp

Hey All,

I'm riding in an MS-150 and am about to purchase some new items for the training and ride. I've
ridden once before, but it was years ago.

I'm considering a new saddle, shorts and maybe even an HRM. I'd like to make the most out of my
training rides and have heard good things about HRMs. I have very little saddle time this year and
2months to prepare. I'm 6' 195lbs.

In the past I've experienced numbness after rides (saddle) and some pains shooting from my knee down
my leg I changed to a better shoe when I was experiencing burning in the middle of my foot as well.

I'd like to approach this ride as best as possible and could use suggestions on those pieces of
equipment in particular. I've read thru reviews on roadbikereviews.com. Still, I'm wondering if
there isn't a better place to be looking for reviews.

Saddle: So far I think I've narrowed the saddle down to a Koobi Au Enduro per good reviews...not too
pricey either.

Shorts: I've read some good things about both the Sugoi and Performance Elite Multi-L in terms of
longer rides.

HRM: No clue. I'd love one that I can download to PC and see a visual of how my training is going,
but they're soo expensive... and being that I'm just a novice, I'm probably crazy to even be looking
at those higher models.

I'm so inexperienced at this that I even have fundamental questions such as how many pairs of shorts
is best....any logic to it that escapes me besides the obvious "Depends on how often I do laundry"?
I could also use some suggestions on shirts/socks material.

Finally, where can I get the best deal on all these things? I've decided to allow myself a budget of
$500. I may have to do without some things, but I'm sure thats more than enough to get me thru.

Endurox R4 is a drink I used last time I trained for the ride and remember feeling as if it helped.
Anything newer/better that I should consider?

Thanks for any info. I know I've bounced all over with topics. I sincerely appreciate any
suggestions.

Also, if anybody has any training tips based on: 2months 'til the ride, practically zero saddle time
in the last 6mo... I have an indoor trainer and can manage one good practice ride per week. I have a
cyclometer, a decent bike (old schwinn circuit w/newer ultegra gears...downtube shifters), an ugly
pair of Sidi genius 3's, and a camelback along w/some basic tools.

Thanks again, JP

Status
Not open for further replies.