Saddle/Shorts/HRM/Training Tips????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jp, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Jp

    Jp Guest

    Hey All,

    I'm riding in an MS-150 and am about to purchase some new items for the training and ride. I've
    ridden once before, but it was years ago.

    I'm considering a new saddle, shorts and maybe even an HRM. I'd like to make the most out of my
    training rides and have heard good things about HRMs. I have very little saddle time this year and
    2months to prepare. I'm 6' 195lbs.

    In the past I've experienced numbness after rides (saddle) and some pains shooting from my knee down
    my leg I changed to a better shoe when I was experiencing burning in the middle of my foot as well.

    I'd like to approach this ride as best as possible and could use suggestions on those pieces of
    equipment in particular. I've read thru reviews on roadbikereviews.com. Still, I'm wondering if
    there isn't a better place to be looking for reviews.

    Saddle: So far I think I've narrowed the saddle down to a Koobi Au Enduro per good reviews...not too
    pricey either.

    Shorts: I've read some good things about both the Sugoi and Performance Elite Multi-L in terms of
    longer rides.

    HRM: No clue. I'd love one that I can download to PC and see a visual of how my training is going,
    but they're soo expensive... and being that I'm just a novice, I'm probably crazy to even be looking
    at those higher models.

    I'm so inexperienced at this that I even have fundamental questions such as how many pairs of shorts
    is best....any logic to it that escapes me besides the obvious "Depends on how often I do laundry"?
    I could also use some suggestions on shirts/socks material.

    Finally, where can I get the best deal on all these things? I've decided to allow myself a budget of
    $500. I may have to do without some things, but I'm sure thats more than enough to get me thru.

    Endurox R4 is a drink I used last time I trained for the ride and remember feeling as if it helped.
    Anything newer/better that I should consider?

    Thanks for any info. I know I've bounced all over with topics. I sincerely appreciate any
    suggestions.

    Also, if anybody has any training tips based on: 2months 'til the ride, practically zero saddle time
    in the last 6mo... I have an indoor trainer and can manage one good practice ride per week. I have a
    cyclometer, a decent bike (old schwinn circuit w/newer ultegra gears...downtube shifters), an ugly
    pair of Sidi genius 3's, and a camelback along w/some basic tools.

    Thanks again, JP

    Tags:

  2. Double pair of biking shorts can be nice on very long rides. A lot of Randonneur riders around
    here do this.

    --
    Perre

  3. Tom S

    Tom S Guest

    JP said::
    > HRM: No clue. I'd love one that I can download to PC and see a visual of how my training is going,
    > but they're soo expensive... and being that I'm just a novice, I'm probably crazy to even be
    > looking at those higher
    models

    Several months ago I bought an ecg3 monitor from http://ediscountbike.com for about $40. They still
    had some on Wed evening for the same price. Will it hold up forever? No clue but it has done fine so
    far. It does have user replaceable batteries for both the receiver and the transmitter, somethng
    many higher end units lack. Downloadable to a PC? Not at this price.

    I have no idea the ecg company is in business any longer but, for the price, I really don't care.
    Being on the "north end" of 50, I really appreciate the ability to monitor the old ticker.
    Personally, I really enjoy using a HRM; it definitely keeps me from "dogging it."

    I have no business interest in ediscount bike but have purchased several low tech items from them in
    the past. It appears they deal heavily in close-out merchandise.

    Tom S