Saddle Sore

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nick Murphy, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Nick Murphy

    Nick Murphy Guest

    I've recently bought a Selle Italia Flite Titanium to replace my ageing Ritchey saddle. I've
    ridden about 6 times on it (total 100 miles) and find it very uncomfortable - it makes my perch
    bones very tender.

    Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one does and therefore give some
    hope that it will become more comfortable in time, or do I just have to accept that it is just the
    wrong shape for my arse and stick it on eBay (the saddle that is, not my arse).

    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

    Nick

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Mine became less painful over time- I think it was my arse that broke in, not the saddle!
    --
    mark

    "Nick Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've recently bought a Selle Italia Flite Titanium to replace my ageing Ritchey saddle. I've
    > ridden about 6 times on it (total 100 miles) and
    find
    > it very uncomfortable - it makes my perch bones very tender.
    >
    > Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one does
    and
    > therefore give some hope that it will become more comfortable in time, or
    do
    > I just have to accept that it is just the wrong shape for my arse and
    stick
    > it on eBay (the saddle that is, not my arse).
    >
    > Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Nick

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Nick Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've recently bought a Selle Italia Flite Titanium to replace my ageing Ritchey saddle. I've
    > ridden about 6 times on it (total 100 miles) and
    find
    > it very uncomfortable - it makes my perch bones very tender.
    >
    > Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one does
    and
    > therefore give some hope that it will become more comfortable in time, or
    do
    > I just have to accept that it is just the wrong shape for my arse and
    stick
    > it on eBay (the saddle that is, not my arse).
    >
    > Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

    Are you wearing padded lycra shorts? If not, you could get a pair and then put ordinary shorts over
    them, they make a big difference.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes

    >"Nick Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I've recently bought a Selle Italia Flite Titanium to replace my ageing Ritchey saddle. I've
    >> ridden about 6 times on it (total 100 miles) and
    >find
    >> it very uncomfortable - it makes my perch bones very tender.
    >>
    >> Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one does
    >and
    >> therefore give some hope that it will become more comfortable in time, or
    >do
    >> I just have to accept that it is just the wrong shape for my arse and
    >stick
    >> it on eBay (the saddle that is, not my arse).
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Are you wearing padded lycra shorts? If not, you could get a pair and then put ordinary shorts
    > over them, they make a big difference.

    Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.

    --
    The Big Baguette

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >"Nick Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I've recently bought a Selle Italia Flite Titanium to replace my ageing Ritchey saddle. I've
    > >> ridden about 6 times on it (total 100 miles) and
    > >find
    > >> it very uncomfortable - it makes my perch bones very tender.
    > >>
    > >> Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one
    does
    > >and
    > >> therefore give some hope that it will become more comfortable in time,
    or
    > >do
    > >> I just have to accept that it is just the wrong shape for my arse and
    > >stick
    > >> it on eBay (the saddle that is, not my arse).
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    > >
    > > Are you wearing padded lycra shorts? If not, you could get a pair and
    then
    > >put ordinary shorts over them, they make a big difference.
    >
    > Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.

    Anything over 10 deg C is shorts weather in my book :) Especially today. Simon

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes

    >> > Are you wearing padded lycra shorts? If not, you could get a pair and
    >then
    >> >put ordinary shorts over them, they make a big difference.
    >>
    >> Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.
    >>

    > Anything over 10 deg C is shorts weather in my book :) Especially today. Simon

    Bloody hell. I dispensed with gloves today, but I kept my longs on.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.

    Longs are for wusses -- any time of the year in the UK

  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Are you wearing padded lycra shorts? If not, you could get a pair and then put ordinary shorts
    > > over them, they make a big difference.
    >
    > Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.\

    I was wearing shorts and short sleeves ( OK with arm warmers) this morning on my 1/2 commute

  9. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Shorts? At this time of year? They breed 'em tough in Yorkshire, all right.
    > >

    > Anything over 10 deg C is shorts weather in my book :) Especially today. Simon

    I've been working outside on the bikes for the last week - no shorts but definitely sunburned - in
    Scotland - in March!

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Nick Murphy wrote:
    > Does such a nylon framed saddle "break in" in the way a leather one does and therefore give some
    > hope that it will become more comfortable in time

    'Fraid not.

    ~PB

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:32:49 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Longs are for wusses -- any time of the year in the UK
    >>
    >Then I'm a wuss, and pleased to be one.

    Join the club, TBB.

    Sing if you're glad to be wuss, None of us dare make a fuss.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  12. Tony W wrote:

    > Longs are for wusses -- any time of the year in the UK

    Actually longs are for people who know how to look after their knees.

    --
    Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

  13. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I saw the subject heading and thought "oh no, don't tell me their trading again!"

    Regulars will know what I mean!

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Chris Gerhard" <[email protected]_btclick.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tony W wrote:
    > >
    > > Longs are for wusses -- any time of the year in the UK
    > >

    > Actually longs are for wusses who know how to look after their knees.

    :)

  15. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    I have a new flite on my racing bike which feels very firm, but is comfortable because of the shape.
    when I get on my training bike I can tell the difference as the 3 year old flite on this bike has
    sagged a lot.

    The saddle wont break in but just sag. your bum will get used to the shape although if it is not the
    right shape saddle it will never become comfortable.

    find a local bike shop or club and see if they have any saddles they are prepared to let you
    try....on the proviso you buy from them when you find the right one

    Peter