Saddle soreness

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Keily, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Hi

    Just started using a turbo trainer to get some fitness training in whilst it's dark and wet outside
    but seem to be sore to a greater degree after a ride of about one hour. Are the gel seats and or
    covers any good to alleviate this pain in the bum.

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > Just started using a turbo trainer to get some fitness training in whilst it's dark and wet
    > outside but seem to be sore to a greater degree after a ride of about one hour. Are the gel seats
    > and or covers any good to alleviate this pain in the bum.
    >

    > Cheers

    You kind of get used to it after a while. Getting out of the saddle regularly does help. I tried
    a gel cover but find that it gets in the way too much. I think you are doing well managing an
    hour, after half an hour I wish I had went out regardless of the weather.

    Graham

  3. Padded cycle shorts. Do wonders to protect the nether regions - even on a turbo trainer.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Are the gel seats and or covers any good to alleviate this pain in the bum.

    Sadly not - I've been using one ever since the speed-obsessed one started posting here, and the
    bugger is still at it...

    Tim

    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'God's electrician sparked up the heavens
    once again, heading northbound on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea

  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    > Padded cycle shorts. Do wonders to protect the nether regions - even on a
    turbo
    > trainer.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Bibs of course !

    Graham

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Padded cycle shorts. Do wonders to protect the nether regions - even on
    > turbo
    > > trainer.
    > >
    > > Cheers, helen s
    > >
    > Bibs of course !
    >
    > Graham
    > >
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before
    sending
    > > reply!
    > >
    > > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    > keyboaRRRDdd
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~

    If it's REAL SOREness then a good dose of Assos chamois cream will help. Sorts me out in the summer
    months when I spend 6 or 7 hours in the saddle at a time.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  7. Lol too warm for bibs with no wind and not got a fan yet, Yes I am already in shorts with the
    padded gusset so perhaps it is just my large size and weight on such a small seated area. As for
    the interest I park the machine in front of the tele and use a heart rate/cycle computer combo. So
    am interested the figures it produces and it's great to get off load it on the pc and actually see
    the improvement in fitness on the screen. Now if only I could get pc "coach lite" software to print
    the graphs.

    Mike

    PS must check out the bib shorts for outside when its a bit warmer

  8. Msa

    Msa Guest

    ..............print the graphs.

    > Mike
    >
    > PS must check out the bib shorts for outside when its a bit warmer

    Helen will be along soon with advice for you on this subject. I would advise the wearing of a helmet
    while waiting....

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Try wearing two pairs of padded cycling shorts, this really helps when your bum is sore from too
    much riding or early in the season when it hasn't hardened up

    "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Just started using a turbo trainer to get some fitness training in whilst it's dark and wet
    > outside but seem to be sore to a greater degree after a ride of about one hour. Are the gel seats
    > and or covers any good to alleviate this pain in the bum.
    >

    > Cheers

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    I'm a bit busy right now, so please fill in your own amusing entreaty to convert tot eh Dark Side
    and banish saddle soreness for ever.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > I'm a bit busy right now, so please fill in your own amusing entreaty to convert tot eh Dark Side
    > and banish saddle soreness for ever.

    Most won't fit on a turbo trainer though. But on the plus side, most of them won't fit on a turbo
    trainer... ;-)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. I have looked at bent's on the web and am afraid just don't have the storage space for one, and it
    would be a pretty lonely way to go for the Sunday ride looking at everybody else's hubs.

    Mike

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    michael keily wrote:
    > I have looked at bent's on the web and am afraid just don't have the storage space for one, and it
    > would be a pretty lonely way to go for the Sunday ride looking at everybody else's hubs.

    The storage space is a definite problem: the extra length plus the bulk of the seat make them more
    of a problem to stow, and if any interesting corners have to be negotiated then they're more awkward
    to get round them on the whole. But the second point is rather misplaced IME: mine puts me about car
    seat height, and I don't have any problem engaging in conversation with my upright-equipped pals on
    a Sunday ride.