Saddle sores!!! Pain in the butt.

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by terry potter, Aug 12, 2007.

1. terry potter

terry potter New Member

Can anyone out there suggest a remedy for saddle sores. I ride about 12 hours a week and have as of late developed two large red sores on my butt. I wear your standard bib cycling shorts. Cheers Terry.

Tags:

2. nath1

nath1 New Member

Hi you need some saddle cream. Apply it to you ass and nether regions before going out,lol. Its as cheap as chips and some even clear up old sores. nath

3. Demus

Demus New Member

Make sure you have the correct saddle that fits you. I had to go with a wider saddle and now I have very little problems.

4. j.r.hawkins

j.r.hawkins New Member

I'd hope you aren't wearing my shorts. :D :eek:

You could try Assos chamois cream. Despite the name being an atrocious pun, the product is actually quite good.

If the sores are more on one side than the other you could have an undiagnosed leg length discrepancy.

My right femur is 7.8mm longer and left tibia 2.8mm longer for a net 5mm difference. Since shimming and moving my cleats following the suggestions in Zinn's Cycling Primer, the sores I used to get on the left side have mysteriously failed to reappear. :)

5. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

If mine get really gnarly I show them to my wife. She's a nurse and has a "professional" interest in such things.

Her piece of advice is "Don't squeeze them too much, you'll traumatise the skin". To which I reply a few minutes later "Popped it honey - wanna see?"

Saddle sores can be fun....:)

6. danny shep

danny shep New Member

Assos Chamois cream cleared me up in no time.

I have no problems now

7. iliveonnitro

iliveonnitro New Member

If you don't want to use that chamois cream crap (I won't touch it), give it time to heal. If you don't let them heal all the way, they come back extremely easily.

It usually takes a week OFF the bike, so you may have to just deal with them until winter...

8. Oruboris

Oruboris New Member

I'd talk to a bike shop about fitting: this sort of thing shouldn't happen at 12 hours/week if the bike is adjusted for you unless you went from 0 to 12 hours awfully quickly.

9. no1kung1

no1kung1 New Member

I've found that a GREAT alternative to your standard saddle creams like (chamois butter) is Noxema (thats right the stuff for your face that comes in a blue jar). It's way cheaper than Assos and has similar antibacterial qualities (good for those nasty cysts).

10. winkyb

winkyb New Member

I use Vaseline. Just don`t get caught putting it on in a park rest room:D I do
    twenty to thirty miles a day five days a week. Laugh if you want but it helps.:D
    also as some have said. Make sure the seat fits your butt.:)

Wink

11. recoverydoc

recoverydoc New Member

vasiline can clog the pores I would stick with assos or butt butter also make sure you are not rocking do to poor position on the saddle

12. winkyb

winkyb New Member

I have not had any trouble or sores with it. I do go straight to the shower after my rides. I am always open for trying something els.

Wink

13. Gymgurl

Gymgurl New Member

Im sorry I can't but help laugh at the names these LOL:p

14. masi rider

masi rider New Member

Corn starch, $1.74(US) at any grocery store. Learned this from fishing during the winter in Upstate NY. Standing all day in neoprene waders, you get crotch rot, close to the same thing as saddle sores,, I got saddle sores last week,,used the corn starch after the shower, no more saddle sores the next day. Good and cheap,,,my kind of product.

15. Gymgurl

Gymgurl New Member

There is something called Money Butt....that stops the friction.....

16. winkyb

winkyb New Member

Now I am laughing Gymgurl.:D

17. hd1p

hd1p New Member

So can you please explain how to get this tro work, do you mix it up and paste it arond on the problem area?????

18. masi rider

masi rider New Member

After you get out of the shower, just take a handful and pad it around the sore areas, tend to do entire area. I don't really know why it works, but it does. Sores should be gone in 1 or 2 applications(days). Good Luck:eek:

19. masi rider

masi rider New Member

P.S. Keep it in powder form:eek:

20. kakman

kakman New Member

LOL, funniest thing I've read in ages

//k